Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still stalled - and hungry. Where's the magic weight loss i was promised?

No offense to you and your surgeon's handout, but I need to follow my specific medical provider (dietician's) rules for me in particular. She wants me at minimum 800 but better 1000-1200 calories. She wants 100g (better 125g) Protein given my particular muscle mass, and spread across 5 meals. 125g x 4cal/g is 500 cals just for protein; add in some legumes or the fat in canned fish and I'm at 800 cals easily - without any junk or refined carbs.

I wonder if the post-op program that you are following might be in part the cause of your slow weight loss. You are eating FIVE MEALS a day. You are consuming 1200 calories a day. [At 8 weeks into the program, I was consuming about half of that amount or less.]

When I look over the directions for patients with gastric sleeve from my surgeon, it reads:

Three 2 ounce full liquid meals for the first four weeks.

Drink 64-80 ounces of Water or low calorie liquids daily.

75-90 grams of Protein is required following surgery.

Off hand I think you are consuming too many calories per day even with your extensive exercise program. When I was young, I decided to lose some weight by upping my exercise routine. Over a few weeks I built myself up to 10 miles of walking per day. But instead of losing weight I gained weight. I was replacing my fat cells with muscles and muscles weigh more.

The above poster that you replied to is only giving you a reason why you might not be losing enough weight. Not all doctors are 100% right. You asked us why you're having a stall, and taking in so many calories might be the reason. 1200 calories was the amount of calories I would have to take in to lose weight WITHOUT the gastric sleeve. That's to keep me from starving since my stomach is big. The point of having the sleeve is to shrink your stomach in order to be able to handle a low calorie diet (i.e. 500-800 calories). Most gastric sleeves are performed in a way that only allows you to hold a 4 oz meal. If you feel that your dietician is doing the right thing, then go for it. But remember, you asked us why you're having a stall. We are giving our opinion.

@@Seastars Hummus should not have alot of carbs. Try things like tuna (with mayo and could add avocado), chicken salad, egg salad. I would also add some veggies to your diet (be sure to eat Protein first). Good carbs should be part of your diet. Beans are a great source of protein and Fiber. Don't rule them out as high carb (and the reason you got obese pre-surgery).

@@Seastars Hummus should not have alot of carbs. Try things like tuna (with mayo and could add avocado), chicken salad, egg salad. I would also add some veggies to your diet (be sure to eat Protein first). Good carbs should be part of your diet. Beans are a great source of Protein and fiber. Don't rule them out as high carb (and the reason you got obese pre-surgery).

Hummus has nearly twice as many carb grams as protein grams. Other Beans have twice as much carbs as protein. Alas, no way that beans can regularly fit into a low-carb life. :(

I became obese in large part because I figured if I exercised a lot, ate healthful whole foods (including "good carbs"), and listened to my body, I'd be fine. Turns out that the whole foods were very high carb and my pre-diabetic body was sending my an overdose of hunger messages. So part of surgery, for me, is starting over with NON-whole foods (lots of supplements and shakes with artificial sugars), NON-plant foods (lots more chicken and fish now; cut out almost all grains, beans, fruits). As I realized, the way I was eating wasn't working - so time to listen to the professionals. Which gets frustrating because the professional dietician is telling me to eat a little MORE now while you guys are mostly saying eat less!

You asked us why you're having a stall, and taking in so many calories might be the reason. 1200 calories was the amount of calories I would have to take in to lose weight WITHOUT the gastric sleeve. That's to keep me from starving since my stomach is big. The point of having the sleeve is to shrink your stomach in order to be able to handle a low calorie diet (i.e. 500-800 calories). Most gastric sleeves are performed in a way that only allows you to hold a 4 oz meal.

My clinic team measured my resting metabolism (sounds like your team measured yours, too). I need a little over 1800 calories per day - without factoring in exercise - to maintain my weight [specifically, to maintain at 201], because I have a high muscle mass. Part of the reason my dietician wants me at up to 1200 on heavy workout days, is to maintain as much of that muscle mass as possible.

So in theory, my eating 800-1000, and sometimes 1200, plus exercising, should have me dropping weight. But we all know that weight loss doesn't follow an exact mathematical formula, alas!

In better news, all that extra exercise this weekend maybe moved me off the stall! I'm down three pounds today.

@@Seastars It depends on the professional - there are varying opinions. Whatever works for you but it seems that you are extreme dieting (eliminating all carbs) and exercising more than most people can rather than using your sleeve. I am having this surgery to help me limit the quantity of food but still be able to enjoy a balanced meal (protein and produce). Healthy carbs are necessary in our diets.

Glad you are back to losing.

@@Seastars It depends on the professional - there are varying opinions. Whatever works for you but it seems that you are extreme dieting (eliminating all carbs) and exercising more than most people can rather than using your sleeve. I am having this surgery to help me limit the quantity of food but still be able to enjoy a balanced meal (Protein and produce). Healthy carbs are necessary in our diets.

Glad you are back to losing.

Yes, my dietician has me on very low carbs. (Not none, but very low.) My clinic is very, very much in favor of high-protein, low-carb for weight loss. "Healthy carbs" was what got me obese.

In better news, all that extra exercise this weekend maybe moved me off the stall! I'm down three pounds today.

Oh, so they measured you. I see. I'm so glad you're losing again. So proud of you! <3

ETA: they do require lots of supplements to make up for the Vitamins I'd otherwise be getting in "healthy carbs."

Oh, so they measured you. I see. I'm so glad you're losing again. So proud of you! <3

Thanks! This is just from my own scale - I don't have another clinic appt until next week. Hopefully I'll find out then that I'm mostly losing fat, not muscle. (My clothing fits the same so I know I'm not building muscle. Hoping to maintain what I've got, though.)

Thanks! This is just from my own scale - I don't have another clinic appt until next week. Hopefully I'll find out then that I'm mostly losing fat, not muscle. (My clothing fits the same so I know I'm not building muscle. Hoping to maintain what I've got, though.)

It's highly unlikely that you are losing muscle since you are taking in so much Protein. I bet it's fat. Good job and good luck! ^_^ <3

Some people just don't tolerate carbs well in any form. I am one of those people. I have to keep the carbs very minimal in order to lose weight. And, yes, even "healthy" carbs.

@@Djmohr OMG seriously! it's a day by day thing. even now 10 months out I'm like HEY! i can eat rice today or whatever. whereas yesterday no way i could lol. you are too right.

@ ditto. im pretty much full Keto but now that i can eat some carbs i have to realllly watch it.

@@pr_pitbullgrl

This last weekend I made homemade skinny enchiladas. I had 3/4 of one for dinner with fresh Tomato, black olives and a dab of sour cream.

I had one for lunch the next day and it was fine. I barely ate 1/2 one yesterday for lunch and I had terrible pain in my chest right where my pouch is. I think I ate it too fast and that is usually what happens.

The only food I am near giving up, is eggs by themselves because no matter what I get sick from them.