Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well..... decision made!

Firstly I am delighted that I have found this forum it has really helped reading about the diverse views and experiences. Thank you all for being so honest. Here is my story so far...

Moment of truth. Decision made.....

I live in UK and have a job I love, but it can be a huge pressure. My work takes me away from home quite often, in the UK to the US and the Far East. Over the years that has taken its toll eating the wrong food, at the wrong times. (And maybe a tipple or two)

For a big guy I am quite fit but over the last years have found more aches and pains, to the point I felt the need to visit my doctor, something I don't normally do. I did this 10 days ago. Long story short he gave it me straight .....lose weight or die young....I'm 43 and heading towards an illness crisis .....and his opinion, diabetes, high blood pressure, joint problems and that early grave. I've tried lots of things I've had my ups and downs but now the time has come for something more drastic.

The wake-up call I needed had arrived! I don't want to wait to go through the process and however fantastic our national health services is (and it is fab), it will take and age. I don't want to be diabetic or have a heart attack. So...... By 10 AM the following morning I was sat in a consultants office having the various options explained to me. My choice, the sleeve. Within a further 24 hours I'd booked my date with destiny September 13th (and it's not a Friday for the superstitious amongst us!)

I have gone from being petrified to super excited I see a future me, doing things that I've not enjoyed for number of years... fastening a seatbelt on an aeroplane....going on the trampoline in our garden writhing rolling off! walking into a normal shop and buying clothes from a normal section. Don't get me wrong I don't want to be mega thin, I like being me but I want to be a me that has longer to live and can enjoy my family, my children, my future grandchildren and actually my work too. Mentally I've got this.....!

My concerns.......

Personality: I don't want to change my personality has anybody out there experienced that over the long term they change?

Food: i've got my head round that it is going to be a nightmare for the first 3/4 months but after this.... Is it truly normal food but obviously in smaller portions and healthier options?

Alcohol: now then..... my biggest enjoyment and my nemesis ....my consultant asked me? do you drink a lot? I said no ....however when I go out I'm always known as the life and soul of the party and the last man standing.... response you can still be a life and soul of the party but expect to be the first one falling. What have people experienced with alcohol? How much on a night out? What type?

Rightly or wrongly , I've created a bucket list of things I wish to eat or drink before the pre-op diet....my son made me laugh yesterday when he said 'Dad make sure you don't die while trying to complete your bucket list'... Point well noted!

If you have got to this point thanks for reading I'll be keeping in contact via the forms. I'm sure as I need the help on the journey.. You, the Warriors that have gone before me will offer the support and help needed!

Ollie x

Sent you a message!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Sent you a message!

I wish you hadn't just sent him a message and posted your response here.

I am looking forward to what vets have to say. His life is my life. Travel extensively all over the world for work, love my wine, eat out a lot, worried about personality change.

I hope others who reply do so here on the forum. He asked questions I have wondered about but haven't asked. My surgery is in 10 days

I don't feel my personality changed but definitely my outlook on life has changed. I used to be a eat drink and be merry type of person. Always had a glass of wine (or 2) with dinner and weekend cocktails and basically ate whatever I wanted. I'm 8 months post op now and don't eat whatever because I have to make sure I get my Protein in. As for the alcohol, on a rare occasion I will have 1 glass of wine that I will sip on for the evening if I'm at a special occasion party. I once was forgetful and drank 3 glasses within a shorter period of time and the hangover was so unpleasant I will never do it again, it's not worth it. I was very nervous before surgery about my life changing, and reassured my friends it was just for a few months while healing then I'll be able to go out again and enjoy a few cocktails. Truth is, I don't want to go back to that life, I am so much happier in my healthier lifestyle now. I have lost 84 pounds and have so much energy now that I'm enjoying life in so many different healthier ways.

I just spoke with a doctor who works in an addiction clinic. He said stay away from alcohol as bariatric surgery patients become highly susceptible to becoming alcoholic. Don't know any statistics on this... Just may be one person's opinion. I've never been much of a drinker and certainly don't plan to start.

Edited by transformation

Sent you a message!

I wish you hadn't just sent him a message and posted your response here.

I am looking forward to what vets have to say. His life is my life. Travel extensively all over the world for work, love my wine, eat out a lot, worried about personality change.

I hope others who reply do so here on the forum. He asked questions I have wondered about but haven't asked. My surgery is in 10 days

I sent a message as my response was specific to post op treatment via the NHS system in the UK e.g. prescription costs. Things that won't have an effect on most I dare say.

I am not a vet and because my story is not typical, I had surgery via the NHS, talked about my grandchildren and because I don't want to hijack this thread with a long list of what happened to me, I sent him a message. I told him I sent him a message because he only joined two hours before

Instead of worrying about what I said privately to him, why not do a search on the keywords of your questions? Or search for a group in your area etc.

Lastly, you can message me with direct questions if you wish.

Hey Congrats to taking the best step I your life! It's been that for me and more

My husband and I took a cruise for our first Anniversary, it was wonderful. We aren't those who like to "party hearty" first cuz we're both getting so old LOL I just turned 59 and he is 63. Anyway back to the cruise... We went to some late night parties and I did have a drink ☺, but it took me 2 1/2 hours to drink it! I've never been a party goer and big drinker, ah well does in your 20's count? But I personally have no comment on others who do. Has my weight loss changed me??? Sure has! I have more confidence in myself, I've also learned to love my new body. I'm not in the excruciating pain I had been in for many years. I enjoy my grandchildren more and more every time I see them. Before I couldn't get out to enjoy them, I also have COPD which does limit me still. But I'm 59 and so so Happy!

Good Luck to those having their surgery! I'm sure you will feel so much better as time goes on.

I just spoke with a doctor who works in an addiction clinic. He said stay away from alcohol as bariatric surgery patients become highly susceptible to becoming alcoholic. Don't know any statistics on this... Just may be one person's opinion. I've never been much of a drinker and certainly don't plan to start.

There was a handout on this given out at one of the bariatric support group meetings that I go to... I'll have to see if I still have it.. I have never been a big drinker so I'm not sure if I saved it. But it made sense.

We were only told that carbonation is not our friend and that we can become drunker quicker. Obviously also, alcohol has calories in it that we don't need. And once you have a drink, food choices may not be as good as they should be. In future (if I am ever well enough lol), I wouldn't be afraid to have watered down drinks. But so many alcohols can cause stomach acid issues. Red wine is really low in calories, A flattened slimline (diet) tonic with a bit of vodka in it is low in calories. But my bet though, is that alcohol is the last thing on your mind in the first three months.

Our Program was very thorough and made it clear that we are at risk of replacing one addiction for another. That many find they have issues with alcohol, gambling, shopping addiction now that they can no longer "feed" their feelings. If anyone has any plans of WLS - I would certainly hope they research enough to know the possible concerns post op. I recommend this book which deals with the emotional aspects of living after WLS.

https://www.amazon.com/Emotional-First-Aid-Kit-Practical-ebook/dp/B0054RXXS0?ie=UTF8&btkr=1&redirect=true&ref_=dp-kindle-redirect

So it's still 9/13 7pm. I have just started a two week holiday in Cyprus and have a mini bucket list. The day after I get home I start my pre-op plan.

The list

Champagne Lauren Perrier Rose

T- bone

Beer

Kabab

Maccys

Tandoori mixed grill

Cypriot meze

Party

I am compensating with exercise and 3lts of Water a day.

I'm still excited and understand all the compilations BUT have a positive mind ....it is better than the alternative!!!

Ollie x

You know what's funny, everything you have on your list you can have post op except the beer and champagne.

I had all these food funerals thinking I would not enjoy food or something in the future and that was just not the case at all. I have steak and it tastes even better because since I eat less of it I get the most expensive cuts.

Good luck with the surgery