Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my physical this morning with my new doctor at Kaiser and we discussed my lab results as well as bariatric surgery. My BMI is 41.5 and I am pre-diabetic. She put in a request to have the nurse call me, and she did call me about an hour later and scheduled me for my options orientation meeting for August 11th. If I "agree" to having the surgery, then I will have to fill out paperwork that night and they will schedule me for the Options classes which start sometime in September. My doctor did say that this is in no way a guarantee that I will be approved for bariatric surgery, but to make sure I do everything they ask of me during the process because that makes it easier for me to have Kaiser approve my request.

I'm excited to say the least to get this process started. My all time heaviest weight was 240, and sadly I've now surpassed that by 2lbs. I can't wait to get started with the classes!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Did you tell them you also have Tricare? Tricare will pick it up if Kaiser doesn't.

Did you tell them you also have Tricare? Tricare will pick it up if Kaiser doesn't.

No I didn't tell them yet. I think I forgot really lol. My hospital stay copay with Kaiser is 500$, so I am definitely informing Kaiser before hand bc I believe either way Kaiser outsources to a Bariatric Team outside of Kaiser. I'm not 100% certain but from what I've been told, that seems to be the case.

I'm just excited to get started.

Well you know if Kaiser doesn't approve you, Tricare will, so you got this! So happy you are on your way!

Well you know if Kaiser doesn't approve you, Tricare will, so you got this! So happy you are on your way!

I'm kind of wondering if I should just cancel out my Kaiser plan and start the process thru Tricare. My only reasoning for this is because my company just switched to this insurance in January and I'm kind of wondering if they will keep it past January. I don't anticipate getting a surgery date before the end of 2016, since I know the process takes time. I mean I will take the surgery tomorrow if I could lol but you know what I mean. I guess I'll decide after my orientation meeting.

I would definitely talk to the insurance billers at the surgeon's office before making a quick decision.

I would definitely talk to the insurance billers at the surgeon's office before making a quick decision.

Definitely! I'm typically very thorough in my decision making lol. I think everyone just rolls their eyes at me now because I can't make a decision on the spot about big things in life. I research and weigh the pros and cons and in the end I go in with my mind 100% made up. This is how I happened upon this board .

I'm with Kaiser and my first class/appt is Sept 13 ...scared and excited

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Awesome @! I hope I get into the September class too. I guess there was an orientation today but it was too short notice. I was told by a friend who also has Kaiser her process took a total of 9 months from referral day to surgery day.

Wow. I was hoping at the max 6 months. We must keep each other updated along the way.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@ yes! I added you as a friend. I finally figured out how to add friends lol. It would be nice to have someone at the same stage to go thru this with. I'm trying to convince my sister to do this with me too. I have seen about 98% of sleevers say their only regret is not having gotten the surgery sooner, that is why I keep trying to convince my sister lol.

I am going to ask my friend if she kept all her appointments and such. She mentioned something about having to do weight watchers so the insurance had a documented weight loss effort. Maybe that's why it took longer for her.

It's probably based off weight and current health status as well. I wish I would've done it the first two times I received a referral to start the program. But better late, than never

I have a bestfriend who is having surgery soon. Didn't know she was in the process till recently when I mentioned I was doing it. But I haven't told anyone beside her and my mom so it's nice to have someone to go through the process with.

Edited by teneboyd

Lol . Don't be. Just take it all in. I can't wait to hear about it!

Lol . Don't be. Just take it all in. I can't wait to hear about it!

Awesome! It was great. I am really excited to get started. I have to do an H. Pylori test, but I didn't bring the cup to do it today because they didn't give me instructions as to where to take the stool sample lol. I will have to do an EKG and I'm waiting to hear from the RN to see if I need to get any additional blood tests. I'm really, really excited to get started with the classes, etc. They are taking the first 25 people to complete all their blood work and EKG, stool sample, etc. So hopefully I get into the September class, if not I will be in the October class.