Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to my informational seminar tonight and the surgeon said 30-40 percent of sleeve patients regain their weight. That scared me, it seems like a really high number. I'm scared I will fail at this. Anyone else hear these numbers and get scared? If so how are you managing that fear. I'm committed to doing this and doing it right but I must admit this has my head spinning.

I went to my informational seminar tonight and the surgeon said 30-40 percent of sleeve patients regain their weight. That scared me, it seems like a really high number. I'm scared I will fail at this. Anyone else hear these numbers and get scared? If so how are you managing that fear. I'm committed to doing this and doing it right but I must admit this has my head spinning.

(soft e hug) I understand. I have a relative who had a gastric bypass done and lost 100 plus pounds however she didn't include exercising before or afterward. and has recently started to overeat again one year out.

Can I just be honest with you? I've had my gallbladder taken out and I'm doing better recovery wise but I've binged two nights in a row post op. *face palm*

The point is to be honest and accountable and the second half of that is to do something about a slip up not fool yourself into thinking that being honest is enough.

I entered the foods into my lose it on line account but honestly writing it down has more of an impact for me. My doc has done the gallbladder first and then the gastric sleeve sometime in September.

I am an e ear or support if you need one. I'm going to be going to the support group meetings they hold the 1st Tuesday of the month and I'm hoping for the best.

We are human, and it's normal to be concerned as with any major life change we have to want the change, and get back up when we fall because we will. It's keep on keeping on and hell or high Water mentantiltily.

It was this that actually was the cause of some restricted eating when I was younger and cutting myself throughout my 20's.

For me it's been God first and foremost releasing that burden to Him having someone to be accountable to in the real world what I call a 'safe person' and more then one if you can.

All this is to say, I understand and as much as possible via the WWW I would be honored to be the person who befriends you. :)

I am not sure about the exact percentage but the reality is you have to be accountable to make the changes for long term success.

Your best chance of losing and keeping it off is surgery. There are statics that prove this.

Those that gain their weight back, have not fully adapted to the changes required to be successful. That usually comes from not being ready.

The reason that most surgeons and insurance company's have a structured monitored diet plan that requires classes, nutritionist appointments and physcologist is so that they are sure you are ready to move forward.

Whether it be 3 months, 6 month or 12 month programs that time is necessary to begin making changes and turning them into habits.

You have to decide how bad you want it and how hard you are willing to work. The surgery is nothing more than a tool that helps you control the amount of food at any one given time. You have to drive it. You have to ensure you eat the right foods and that you don't graze all day long and eat around your surgery.

For me, this was a no brainier, but I was ready.

I have no idea what percentage actually fail, but likely the majority of the ones that are deemed failures or have significant regain are the ones that did not use the time right after surgery to relearn how to eat properly. They expected the sleeve to do all the work and all they'd have to do is "eat less" of the same foods they've always eaten.

My doc said that anyone can lose weight the first year, even if the eat crap foods all the time. But when the body's metabolism adjusts over to how you eat after surgery, it will make it possible to regain easily if you're still eating high carb, high fat/sugar/sodium low quality/nutrition junk.

The weight loss is not permanent unless you throw out all your eating habits and crutches and start learning how to eat proper portions, healthy, whole foods and limit bad/crappy foods to very occasional times.

Junky foods should be eliminated from your meal times for the rest of your life - bread, crackers, alcohol, fast food, fried foods, high sugar/fat/sodium prepared foods... all banished to every once in a while, and only in small portions then. You can still have them, but not in the quantity or frequency you used to have. Some things might need to be eliminated completely if you have a serious addiction and you can't control yourself, or if they are a "slider food" (where you can eat a large amount of a food/drink without it being restricted by your sleeve - like crackers or ice cream).

You have about 1 year or so where the Portion Control from the sleeve and the lack of hunger allow you control to adjust how and what you eat. It really is all about a stripping of old habits and establishing new ones. Good Proteins - fish, chicken, turkey, dairy - should be the bulk of your meal time, followed by healthy vegetables and a small portion of complex carbs if you have room (brown rice, whole wheat Pasta, beans).

There are almost always healthy recipes and workarounds for most of the foods you love, and you can be happy having small portions (like 2-3 bites) instead of eating the entire thing (if that's what you used to do), but you have to commit to changing your relationship with food to make WLS work for you.

Exercise is also an important part of the process, but the food relationship is the main thing to get figured out ASAP.

I'd be curious to know what they define as "reagain". I've seen it defined as as little as 20% of excess weight. I think you inferred they meant 100% of excess weight. Did they give any specifics?

In any event, your success with the sleeve is completely on you. It's not a magic bullet. It's a tool. It's up to you to use that tool correctly. Is it possible to regain weight post-sleeve? Yep! It's possible you won't ever even reach goal. But as long as you stick to your plan, make real and lasting changes to your lifestyle, and remain determined and diligent, you can lose the weight and keep it off long term.

Despite what society thinks, WLS is not the "easy way out". It's not easy by any means. It requires constant effort and vigilance.

Maybe the remark the surgeon said "...30-40 percent of sleeve patients regain their weight." refers to people gaining back some of their weight from their lowest weight, not necessarily meaning they gained all of the weight they lost back.

Here's what the meta-analysis of all the WLS research shows. (BTW, "meta-analysis" is when you combine the data from lots of studies and analyze it as as a single batch of data.)

After losing weight with WLS, half of all WLS patients are described as "successful" long-term. These WLS patients (who've had one or more of all the possible WLS procedures -- there are over half a dozen different types) lose some or all of their excess weight post-op and go on to retain from 100% to 50% of the weight they lost. This includes people who lost all their excess weight and maintained it forever to people who didn't gain back more than 50% of the weight they did lose.

And the other half of WLS patients are described as "unsuccessful" long-term. These are patients who gained back more than half of the excess weight they lost. This group ranges from those who gained back 50% of the pounds / kilos they lost with WLS to those who regained all the weight they lost -- and even some who weigh more now than they did before having WLS.

I have no idea what percentage actually fail, but likely the majority of the ones that are deemed failures or have significant regain are the ones that did not use the time right after surgery to relearn how to eat properly. They expected the sleeve to do all the work and all they'd have to do is "eat less" of the same foods they've always eaten.

My doc said that anyone can lose weight the first year, even if the eat crap foods all the time. But when the body's metabolism adjusts over to how you eat after surgery, it will make it possible to regain easily if you're still eating high carb, high fat/sugar/sodium low quality/nutrition junk.

The weight loss is not permanent unless you throw out all your eating habits and crutches and start learning how to eat proper portions, healthy, whole foods and limit bad/crappy foods to very occasional times.

Junky foods should be eliminated from your meal times for the rest of your life - bread, crackers, alcohol, fast food, fried foods, high sugar/fat/sodium prepared foods... all banished to every once in a while, and only in small portions then. You can still have them, but not in the quantity or frequency you used to have. Some things might need to be eliminated completely if you have a serious addiction and you can't control yourself, or if they are a "slider food" (where you can eat a large amount of a food/drink without it being restricted by your sleeve - like crackers or ice cream).

You have about 1 year or so where the Portion Control from the sleeve and the lack of hunger allow you control to adjust how and what you eat. It really is all about a stripping of old habits and establishing new ones. Good Proteins - fish, chicken, turkey, dairy - should be the bulk of your meal time, followed by healthy vegetables and a small portion of complex carbs if you have room (brown rice, whole wheat Pasta, beans).

There are almost always healthy recipes and workarounds for most of the foods you love, and you can be happy having small portions (like 2-3 bites) instead of eating the entire thing (if that's what you used to do), but you have to commit to changing your relationship with food to make WLS work for you.

Exercise is also an important part of the process, but the food relationship is the main thing to get figured out ASAP.

Very well said, frankie'sgirl. I will add one thing to this. Find something constructive to replace a food addiction. Run, swim, take up a sport like tennis, cycling, something that replaces the void left when we give up food as a comfort item.

@@Frenchie1977

30-40 % regain is really vague. Almost all people are going to gain weight as they age, that is just life for the most part, and most WLS patients have some bounce back. If I had a Dr telling me that 30-40% of his patients regain all of their weight, I would look for another Doctor, obviously something is lacking with their program.

Surgery isn't a magic tool, people have to work. Many people have surgery and aren't really ready for it, if forums are any representation of patients I would say over 60% of people that have surgery aren't really ready for it or good candidates.

I went into surgery knowing the pitfalls. I know someone that had surgery, never got to goal, and regained. The reason why is pretty simple, they never changed their eating habits. They didn't take advantage of the time immediately post-op to learn new eating habits and to cook. They kept living their same lifestyle and just eating small amounts and added new habits like the occasional drink. They worked with a trainer and followed a fad diet, not a way of eating for life. When they got close to goal, they chickened out and decided they were losing too much, and stopped. Just a series of bad decisions. Now they have regained and are almost 300 pounds. This person had bypass not the sleeve. They eat all kinds of sugar and a lot of things I would never eat.

Your success after surgery, as long as the surgeon is actually competent and can create a properly formed sleeve, is entirely up to you.

A Dr stating 30-40% I would seriously doubt their skills to be honest.

Thank you all for the record replies, I realize this is up to me to make the changes and I am committed to doing exactly that. I'm not worried about my surgeons skills he's a world renowned surgeon, I think he was just trying to drive home the point that this really is up to me. He described the first year as your grace period where it is easy to lose and said after that it is up to you to maintain it and stick with the program. I will do this.

This is a lifestyle change for all of us. The goal is to lose weight so that we can be more active, have more energy etc... That includes also choosing better foods.

If you look at it as a life change and take care of your body then you will be fine... We will all be fine. Besides what's the point of losing the weight just to go back to the same habits that got us all here in the first place right?

Good luck to us all. May we all do better and appreciate the hard work & our new hot bods! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App