Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

About to start Pureed foods....how do I fit in protein?

I am about to start pureed foods, day 15 postop. I have done great so far meeting my Protein and Fluid requirements.

Question....how in the world am I going to meet my protein requirements in the pureed stage.....and eat actual pureed foods?

I'm trying to figure out how to replace my Protein Drink with a pureed food and still get my protein in my daily requirements.

I can't eat eggs, cheese or yogurt. Allergic and no dairy for me.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my SM-J320F using the BariatricPal App

For my diet, my nut has me on Protein drinks (at least 2) along with my soft food diet. The liquid in Protein shake counts toward my fluids needed for the day. perhaps you should ask, but I would NEVER be able to get to Protein goal without shakes on the "meals" I am eating.

Why do you need to replace a Protein shake with pureed food? Just eat your pureed foods and sip on Protein shakes between your meals.

Here is a sample menu of what I ate on pureed foods. My guidelines were: 3 meals per day, no more than 1.5 oz per meal. No Snacks other than Protein Shakes (these are the guidelines from my bariatric team).

Breakfast: poached egg + .5 ounce sweet & spicy tuna salad

Lunch: 1.5 oz sweet & spicy tuna salad

Dinner: 3 tablespoons cottage cheese

Snacks: 1) Protein drink made with 8 oz Isopure & 8 oz G2 and 2) Protein Shake made with 1 Premier Protein chocolate shake + 4 oz Carb Master vanilla milk.

Totals for the day: 636 calories, 31 carbs, 77 grams protein

I could never have done it without protein shakes, and my team was clear that I should not try. You may want to check in with yours for additional guidance if they are suggesting you stop them while on purees. Good luck!

First off, why would you be replacing your Protein Shakes with purees? Why wouldn't they be in addition to? Secondly, you can add unflavored Protein Powder to a lot of things. If you are allowed tuna or chicken, those are good sources of Protein in your pureed stage. As well as refried Beans.< /p>

I mix unflavored Protein into my Soups -- which I plan to do as well on my purees when I hit that time (I already sort of have moved to purees with the Soups i've been eating). I always either get a morning (nectar) "juice" Protein drink in OR an evening chocolate Premier Protein drink.

Why do you need to replace a Protein shake with pureed food? Just eat your pureed foods and sip on Protein shakes between your meals.

Here is a sample menu of what I ate on pureed foods. My guidelines were: 3 meals per day, no more than 1.5 oz per meal. No Snacks other than Protein Shakes (these are the guidelines from my bariatric team).

Breakfast: poached egg + .5 ounce sweet & spicy tuna salad

Lunch: 1.5 oz sweet & spicy tuna salad

Dinner: 3 tablespoons cottage cheese

Snacks: 1) protein drink made with 8 oz Isopure & 8 oz G2 and 2) Protein Shake made with 1 Premier Protein chocolate shake + 4 oz Carb Master vanilla milk.

Totals for the day: 636 calories, 31 carbs, 77 grams protein

I could never have done it without protein shakes, and my team was clear that I should not try. You may want to check in with yours for additional guidance if they are suggesting you stop them while on purees. Good luck!

Thanks for the menu! Really helpful!!!! I don't live in the US and don't have a nutritionist. So all this information is extremely useful.

Sent from my SM-J320F using the BariatricPal App

I still rely on Protein Drinks and I'm through pureed and onto soft food. If you can't have dairy try pureed or very well chewed fish. Soft cooked white fish is delicious and goes down easy for me as do canned tuna and salmon.

Honestly I think it was easier to get my Proteins in during the pureed/soft stage than any other. I just add unflavored whey Protein to just about everything....yogurt, cottage cheese, Soup broth, etc. Also sipping your Protein Shakes in between meals will also help. I used Water with my shakes instead of milk or almond milk (which I use now). It helps keep you hydrated as well.