Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure if I should do this?

So I am having major doubts about having the surgery. I am one appointment away from being able to schedule my surgery, and I keep asking myself if I am doing the right thing? I have lost weight on my own only 40lbs or so and that is not putting a dent in what I need to lose...... but I am realizing that I am more of and emotional eater than I thought I was. I do not want to make this major life change just to sabotage myself in the long run. Does anyone have advice for me.......

Find a therapist to working on your emotional eating.

Have surgery.

You have less than a 5% chance of losing that weight on your and maintaining it at over 300 pounds.

So I am having major doubts about having the surgery. I am one appointment away from being able to schedule my surgery, and I keep asking myself if I am doing the right thing? I have lost weight on my own only 40lbs or so and that is not putting a dent in what I need to lose...... but I am realizing that I am more of and emotional eater than I thought I was. I do not want to make this major life change just to sabotage myself in the long run. Does anyone have advice for me.......

I second the therapy recommendation. Most of us have an eating disorder of some kind. I found therapy with a Bariatric experienced psychologist to help tremendously. Good luck!

Many of us have gone through the same experience. I'd never had surgery before and was questioning this decision right up to the point of being wheeled into the OR.

Now 2.5 years later and 160 pounds lighter I know it was the best decision I ever made. I tried every diet and even lost 100 pounds a few times, but it never lasted long. I've been at goal since 9 months out and have never been happier.

Just do it and don't look back ...

Look, sit down and write down every single time in your life where you can remember your weight/diets/serious situations that may have affected your weight. Lay it all out and really think about how you gained the weight back or why? What was your thinnest weight? How did you gain that weight?

I have 38 entries. I am 41. I am done with this cycle. The last eating plan I tried was excellent. I had some success but here I am again and I'm at my HW now. Bariatric surgery is not a permanent solution. It will however help you get the pounds off and get you healthier. You will still have to work hard at maintaining and keeping yourself on check.

But if you you're positive you can go at it on your own then more power to you! No one can make this decision but yourself. Maybe postpone it and see where you are in three months or six months. Then make your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Like the other poster said, your chances of losing a significant amount of weight and keeping it off long term is ridiculously low. I do believe it is about 5% statistically.

You will not regret the surgery. I went from 298lbs on February 2nd to 209lbs today, July 25th.

It is worth it

Many of us have gone through the same experience. I'd never had surgery before and was questioning this decision right up to the point of being wheeled into the OR.

Now 2.5 years later and 160 pounds lighter I know it was the best decision I ever made. I tried every diet and even lost 100 pounds a few times, but it never lasted long. I've been at goal since 9 months out and have never been happier.

Just do it and don't look back ...

Thanks for sharing your story, you're an inspiration.

I agree with the therapist comment. Also, contact your insurance and ask how long the approval is good for. I see some post said they were approved and had so many months to get the surgery done. That should give you time to see the therapist and make up your mind. I also have problems with emotional eating i I plan on seeing my psych a few more times to help me get on the right path. Good luck

Thank you all for your advice!! I do not have many people to talk to about this none of my friends have a major weight problem, so most do not know the struggles we face. My husband is the best and the most supportive person I could ask for, but he has never had a weight problem he is very fit and athletic. I am thinking that I may need to take him to therapy with me so he might understand what I go through on a daily.........

Listen to your heart and head. The biggest mistake would be to go through with the surgery with any lingering doubts. This procedure is truly life changing and I have zero regrets. When I went through those surgery doors I was 100% certain I was making the right choice.

You need to do some deep soul searching, whichever way you decide. Best of luck to you!

I went through the same problem three years ago. I chickened out and opted not to have surgery. Here I am three years later and still no lighter than I was then. If I had had the surgery back then I can only imagine the way I would feel now and the things I would be able to do. Everything happens for a reason but I wish I had not chickened out back then. Pray about your decision and do some more research. Also talking to people who have had it is a huge help.