Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breaking habits before surgery

Ok, since I got medical approval, I know that I need to break some bad habits. One thing I can't seem to do is drink water! I have to add some sort of flavor to it. It's mostly tap Water that I can not stand at all. I can drink bottled water from time to time, but only if nothing else is quenching my thirst. Did anyone else deal with this? Any recommendations to help drink more water?

Add flavoring!!

I add crystal light, and sometimes the self serve koolaid Packets. Both are sugar free.

I can only drink bottled/filtered Water. Tap Water literally makes me gag.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

And if you don't want the artificial sweeteners, there are a few brands that use Stevia instead.

I was shocked to learn...Bottled Water is no different than tap water..(obviously except certain brands)....

http://www.allaboutwater.org/tap-water.html

But yeah...Crystal light is awesome....def please don't sabotage your new surgery with drinking "bad" things (I'm assuming that if you don't drink water... You're probably something that you're not supposed to drink??) let us know if you can make the switch....

I grew up in the country with well Water so have never been able to drink city tap Water and have been drinking bottled or filtered water for at least 20 years now. I could probably go all day drinking nothing but water (usually at room temp), but a little variety is good. Flavoured or carbonated water tastes disgusting to me now - I'd much rather have the clear, clean taste of pure water than anything else.

Bottled water isn't great for the environment, but it's better than grabbing a soda or juice or flavoured teas (with sugar). Try different brands - some are clearly better than others in terms of taste. At home I use a Brita filter and it suits me (and most people I know) just fine. If drinking plain water is tough, why not introduce it gradually, one cup, one day at a time? Over time you'll get used to it (I hope!).

If you insist on flavours, you might also consider herbal teas - peppermint tea is quite good cool or cold. Here in Japan there are lots of different (bottled) non-sugar teas, from green tea to barley tea to jasmine tea. Of course you could make your own too.

Ok, since I got medical approval, I know that I need to break some bad habits. One thing I can't seem to do is drink water! I have to add some sort of flavor to it. It's mostly tap Water that I can not stand at all. I can drink bottled water from time to time, but only if nothing else is quenching my thirst. Did anyone else deal with this? Any recommendations to help drink more water?

Try infused water (lime & mint, strawberry & lemon, etc). Caffeine free tea is good too. Adding flavors (non caloric) is fine - you don't need to drink only plain water.

I would highly recommend LifeWater! It tastes amazing, almost like juice, and there are many yummy flavors. My favorites are the fuji apple pear and the yumberry pomegranate.

I would also suggest trying Water at different temperatures. Have you tried it reeeeally cold, like keeping Water in the fridge and adding ice to that for some seriously cold water? Or maybe trying it warm/hot with lemon in it? How about drinking teas, or making miso or bone broth? These all count towards your water goal.

Then of course there is always a chance that your tastes will change drastically after surgery. Who knows, maybe after surgery you'll love water! Regardless, I hope some of the suggestions here help. Good luck to you. :)

I got Mio. They have many flavors and they all taste great, except for the coffee one. I can't seem to drink Water either but I'm going through 50oz of Water in a half day by adding mio. You can also infuse your water with cucumber, lemon, mint, etc.

~~ LadyDarkness415 ~~

What helped me in the beginning was my diffuser bottle. It is a bottle with a separate netted holder inside for things like tea bags, fruit, and herbs. I honestly don't prefer the taste of Water unless I am super thirsty, but this helped get me drinking big time! Also, as I notice many people mentioning Crystal Light, which tastes great, however, I did experience skin abnormalities from the artificial sweeteners contained within. Now, I use a Water enhancer; brand name is Stur. So far, it's pretty good and easy on the palate, which I like.

Good luck in getting your hydration up! I too struggle with you, but we can do this!!!

Thank you everyone for the advice. I am definitely going to look into a diffuser bottle.

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using the BariatricPal App

you don't have to drink plain Water post or pre op. you can add any flavor crystal light, mio, dasani drops, lemon juice, etc. as long as you are getting in your fluids and what you are adding is sugar free then go for it! personally i like diluting juice. it doesn't taste as fake as some of the sugar free options out there. you will have to use diet juice post op (like diet cranberry and diet apple) but i usually try to dilute by half and i can't even tolerate undiluted juices now. they are too sweet

I have used crystal light like crazy- I would just recommend staying away from the caffiene versions now since you wont be able to have them later. I also have 4 water bottles- all 32 ounces- that I fill before bed- I have gotten myself in the habit now of drinking them all before bed time the next day- I know I do not need 128 ounces of water a day- HOWEVER my train of thought is that if I trained myself and got into the habit of drinking that much water now then 64 ounces post op will be much easier. Now I drink water like its a bad habit- I also replaced smoking with taking drinks of water lol so double score on that one!