Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't Get In Enough Protein

I am 11 days out of surgery...and I have lost 20 pounds since my pre-op visit. But I'm getting worried!! I can barely eat or drink anything at one time. I get really full and nauseas if I drink more than two sips at a time. I will go hours with eating or drinking because I never feel hungry. Anyone had the same problems? Please help!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You need to be constantly sipping in the first couple of weeks. Did your doctor not give you any instructions?

Every hour, get a small glass of Protein drink - roughly 3 ounces - and take small sips until it's gone. Then repeat every hour.

If you are feeling nauseous, you need to speak with your doctor as it might be due to stomach acids and you may need to be on a PPI.

Your ability to feel hunger and thirst are gone right now, so you should eat/drink on a schedule not when you feel hunger or thirst because that won't happen. You are in danger of severe dehydration and malnourishment currently, so you need to get on a schedule ASAP.

Agree with the previous reply. How about freezing Protein into ice blocks to lick? Definitely important to get the Water in. Get in touch with your NUT and definitely sip and enquire about anti nausea medication. All the best!

I am 11 days out of surgery...and I have lost 20 pounds since my pre-op visit. But I'm getting worried!! I can barely eat or drink anything at one time. I get really full and nauseas if I drink more than two sips at a time. I will go hours with eating or drinking because I never feel hungry. Anyone had the same problems? Please help!

Set a timer. Whether hungry or not (likely you won't feel hungry) - you have to eat and drink. Take small sips constantly.

Protein drinks are the answer. Even if it takes you all day you get at least 35 grams. My first few weeks I was doing good to get 35. Now in week four I am finally up to about 60 grams per days but I do 1 Protein Drink and 1 Protein Bar to get a total of 49. The rest is cheese and meat. I still do popsicles and getting down 1 17 oz bottle of Water. Working my way up. This is a process and it takes time reason for the 4 week diet plan.

I had my sleeve done on 7/28 and I had the same problem. I just made myself sip Water and kept increasing it. I'm about a week and a half out and now can drink 2 9oz Protein shakes and the rest of my liquid requirement. It's not easy it actually was painful for the first 4-5 days but then it got better.

I agree the first 3 weeks are tough. Protein drinks and sugar free popsicles is what I lived on the first 2 weeks then went to stew that was pureed down to liquid in week 3. Don't get worried it is all normal. Get down as much Protein and Water as you can. It gets better as time progress. THIS IS A SLOW PROCESS your body is healing and getting used to the new dynamics of your stomach.

Greek yogurt and well chewed low fat mozzarella cheese sticks. Set a timer for 25-30 minutes. Eat very slowly. Don't forget no sipping with eating.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Most of what you are experience is normal. Eating and drinking is tough the first few weeks. But I agree contact your doctor about the nausea. It took me a while to get the Protein down. Don't be alarmed be at rest this will all pass and you will be on the other end giving the advise. This is a journey and an adventure.

I got popsicle sleeves (narrow, long ziploc type bags) and mixed up Syntrax lemonade flavor to put in them and freeze. Yummy popsicles with Protein. Got me through the first couple of days when it was so hard to get anything down.