Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's normal after dumping?

Well. I made an unwise food decision today. Sigh. And dumped. Like badly. An hour on the toilet and then having it come out both ends at once (more embarrassing still I'm at a relatives house not at home so they all know!) but what I want to know is what's normal after dumping. Now that I've dumped. I feel exhausted. I don't want clothes on. I feel hot all over my body. I just want to lay naked with ice on me. Is this normal ? Those of you who have dumped what feelings physical sensations did you have after the dumping ended?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

No... you can dump with all bariatric surgery.... its a myth that you can't dump with the sleeve or band... its just not as common due to the nature of how we eat.

If i have had a high sugar/carb/fat meal that causes you to dump... i usually get really hot and my skin gets clammy and sweaty, i am jittery, then i get stomach cramps.. around 10 mins in i have to go to the bathroom... once i have evacuated everything i need to lie down and then i am really sleepy..... this usually passes completely after 1 hour... strangely for me, i feel really hungry after its gone.

I have only dumped a handful of times... but the experience has been the same every time

Edited by AussieGirl81

@LA_lady @melissa1227

Dumping with the sleeve is really rare. You only dump really if you eat off plan so it is easily avoidable.

I dumped once early on, like at 3 months eating out. I ordered something that shouldn't have sugar but it did cause you know, America.

At one year I can eat whatever and not dump.

@@Beck90 Yeah you are miserable after dumping and that is how it is supposed to feel. It is supposed to be so aweful you never want to do it again, so if it happens to you, you will avoid making those kind of choices again.

Everyone that posts here is an adult but you are less that 2 months out from surgery and you are making a lot of questionable food choices, repeatedly. This is the time to learn new habits and build a new relationship with food. You seem to be squandering your honeymoon period very early on. Right now you can only eat limited quantities but at 3 months you are going to be able to eat more and at 6 months you will be able to eat a lot more, these off plan choices are going to do more damage later down the road.

@LA_lady @@melissa1227

Dumping with the sleeve is really rare. You only dump really if you eat off plan so it is easily avoidable.

I dumped once early on, like at 3 months eating out. I ordered something that shouldn't have sugar but it did cause you know, America.

@@Beck90 Yeah you are miserable after dumping and that is how it is supposed to feel. It is supposed to be so aweful you never want to do it again, so if it happens to you, you will avoid making those kind of choices again.

Everyone that posts here is an adult but you are less that 2 months out from surgery and you are making a lot of questionable food choices, repeatedly. This is the time to learn new habits and build a new relationship with food. You seem to be squandering your honeymoon period very early on. Right now you can only eat limited quantities but at 3 months you are going to be able to eat more and at 6 months you will be able to eat a lot more, these off plan choices are going to do more damage later down the road.

Can you please tell me what/how much you ate? For example if I have a BITE or two of something I.e a cookie or cake can that cause dumping? It's not that I'm planning to sabotage myself but I am human and do plan on having things in moderation (not in the near future but a few months down the line).

@LA_lady @melissa1227

Well said.

The precious honeymoon period is quickly passing.

Now is the time for adherence and hammering down.

I had that before bariatric surgery lol

Rofl me too!

@@LA_lady @@melissa1227

Can you please tell me what/how much you ate? For example if I have a BITE or two of something I.e a cookie or cake can that cause dumping? It's not that I'm planning to sabotage myself but I am human and do plan on having things in moderation (not in the near future but a few months down the line).

It was chicken salad but it had sugar in it. I really didn't think putting sugar in chicken salad was common. I certainly have never seen a chicken salad recipe call for it. Home made chicken salad never made me dump. It was not the fat it was the sugar, since I was regularly eating chicken salad at home.

I was eating at a resturant and didn't think to ask. I always ask now.

Well. I made an unwise food decision today. Sigh. And dumped. Like badly. An hour on the toilet and then having it come out both ends at once (more embarrassing still I'm at a relatives house not at home so they all know!) but what I want to know is what's normal after dumping. Now that I've dumped. I feel exhausted. I don't want clothes on. I feel hot all over my body. I just want to lay naked with ice on me. Is this normal ? Those of you who have dumped what feelings physical sensations did you have after the dumping ended?

Yup.

@LA_lady @melissa1227

As a sleeved chick who dumps, I'm going to have to disagree! I dump from high sugar almost always, but other random times pretty regularly. No rhyme or reason, really. Three + years out, here.

Well... I'm going to reply to this and I don't think everyone will respect my opinion but I'm going to try to do it in the most polite way possible.

I come to this forum to get answers to my questions, guidance, share experiences.. NOT to be judged or run over by people. And I find that the same happens on a lot of other threads as well.. I get that the veterans here are a great asset to those of us newbies and that they get frustrated that no one seems to appreciate their expertise.. I do... but I don't come here to be judged... I opened this thread to ask people what experience they have after dumping. I did not open it to hear anything other than that.. to be quite plain..

@ Thank you for just answering my question.. no judgment involved.. this is what I was looking for. your symptoms seem to line up on par perfectly with what I experienced.

@@OutsideMatchInside I'm trying to be nice here but frankly I found your post to be pretty offensive.. I have no idea where you got the information that I'm making a lot of "poor" food choices or that I'm "squandering anything" but I didn't appreciate you posting that (wrong) judgment about me - especially on a public forum for everyone to read. So I'll just set the record straight.

For the most part I've made good choices. I've posted more about problems I had than successes because that's usually the way it goes.. when something goes wrong you ask about it.. if it's going right.. you usually don't mention it. Do I occasionally eat off plan when I want to try something? Yes I do.. Am I aware I could dump or have a bad reaction? Yes and I accept that risk. But I sure as heck am not "wasting" anything... I have lost 35 pounds + in only 7 weeks, my doctors are amazed at my progress, I am down two clothing sizes from where I was, My eating habits are far more healthy than they were pre surgery, I am successfully eating -fairly- low carb for the first time in my life, I am doing intense aqua aerobics that puts my heart rate in the 200's 3 times a week and lap swimming 1-2 times a week even though I never used to exercise at all, I religiously get 60 grams of Protein and 64 ounces of Fluid (which is what my plan asks for) every single day. I have upped my intake of fruits and veggies extremely. I am completely embracing the changes I need to make to succeed.. but I'm doing it in a way I can handle. Just like all of us got overweight in our own unique ways with our own unique challenges.. all of us MUST handle life after surgery and losing the weight in our own unique ways... I personally won't restrict myself from food choices I want to make as long as, overall, I'm doing the right things becuse if I feel deprived then I will fall off the wagon completely and abandon ship. That is the case whether I was two months out or two years out.. it does not mean I'm making poor choices overall and it does not mean I don't appreciate this period of rapid loss.. it means I'm doing what I believe I can stick with for -lifetime- not just a race to get the weight off.

@@Dub Frankly I don't think it was well said and I'm a little bothered that you approved of it.. for all the reasons I stated above.. that poster is someone I know only casually - she and I haven't talked about my food options at any length and she had no reason to assume anything...

Likewise... I don't really ascribe to the "honeymoon period" if that works for some people that's cool.. it doesn't work for me. This is not a sprint.. it's a marathon... I have no intention of "hammering down" on myself in a way I know will cause me not to succeed.. I'd rather lose it slow and steady over time (honeymoon or not) with new habits that are more moderate and I know I can stick to for a lifetime because then I know I don't have to worry about re-gaining because I don't feel I've spent the past however many months depriving myself. I am not the hammering down kind of person.. Like I mentioned above.. I'm doing the right things based on my plan (800 calories, 60 gram Protein, 64 oz Water, good exercise, more good choices than bad, increased fruits and veggies and lowered carbs immensely) but I have no intention of "hammering down" anymore than that because to do so would just be depriving myself from living a natural and normal life.. I'm not going to do that now nor in the future because I know me personally and I know that won't work for me and will cause me to give up. I'm far more in danger of failing by depriving myself than I am from "slider foods" "poor choices" or other issues.. I know this about myself and am handling my weightloss with this in mind.. if the honeymoon sprint of losing weight works for some then they should do that.. but it doesn't work for everyone and I resent the idea that everyone "must" ascribe to it.. like I said before... all of us got overweight in our own ways and all of us have to get it off in our own ways.. there is no one size fits all strategy here.. and for me.. I'd rather try new foods, eat with a plan I can -manage long term-, measure my food out, keep my portions small, and stick to the things I mentioned I was doing above than deprive myself just so I can shed the pouds X2 fast and then deal with putting it right back on because I feel like I've been deprived for months.

Now... if someone would like to be like @ and @@LipstickLady get back on track with responding to what I actually asked about instead of judging me and assuming you know things you don't.. I'd welcome that.

@@Beck90

I'm glad you are offended, hopefully you will pay attention. My intention wasn't to pat you on the head and say good job.

You know you are making questionable and poor choices which is why you wrote a whole paragraph in your maximizing your money at the buffet thread telling people what NOT to tell you, because you already knew the whole idea was a disaster.

Most of the vets won't touch this thread with a 10 foot pole because they just don't care but you are self sabotaging and you need to stop it.