Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 wks post-op, can't get enough calories

This has never been an issue in my life, but post-op I'm struggling to get enough calories in a day. The most I've managed so far in a day is 300 - but mostly it's between 100-200. I find it hurts if I have more than a spoonful or drink of anything.

Did anyone else have the same problem? I'm reading on here that people are having 800-1000 calories a day.

Don't worry about calories so much. Focus on Water and Protein. At a year out I have never tracked my calories since surgery

But always consult your nutritionists id you afe unsure

Okay, I will stop worrying! The calories that I am taking in are all Protein, so I guess that's good. Thanks for replying :)

Yep sorry that is too low. Are you not able to drink Protein shakes at all? 1 Premier Protein ready made drink is 30g of Protein and 160 calories. I was drinking at least 2 per day at your stage plus eating very small amounts of food. I did discover I had a stricture but not discovered until 3 months post-op but I was still getting in more than that. How many grams of protein could you possibly be getting in only 100 calories per day? Please call your doctor tomorrow.

Not getting enough calories can affect your metabolism, dehydrate you, and make you feel fatigued or lack energy. I recommend that you check with your doctor as well to find out if there is a complication. I know at first I was scared to eat/drink too much because of the stomach only being able to hold 4 oz. However, on my first post-op visit, it was explained to me that liquid including the Protein drinks go straight through. It is the solids that our stomachs can only hold the 4 ounces. Since then, I have felt more comfortable drinking liquids throughout the day (always 30 minutes after eating), and I have been able to get in at least the 64 oz of liquids if not more. Also, at my doctor's office, they gave us a timeline for eating the 3 meals/2 Snacks (protein drinks) throughout the day.

I was told by my surgeon and my nutritionist that calories are everything. I'm not finding myself getting enough either. I'm getting maybe 400-500 a day and my nutritionist told me that right now that's equivalent to starving myself and will result in poor weight loss. Her suggestion was to go get a smoothie from smoothie king that is 1000 calories and that I would feel a lot better and weight loss would improve.

I was told by my surgeon and my nutritionist that calories are everything. I'm not finding myself getting enough either. I'm getting maybe 400-500 a day and my nutritionist told me that right now that's equivalent to starving myself and will result in poor weight loss. Her suggestion was to go get a smoothie from smoothie king that is 1000 calories and that I would feel a lot better and weight loss would improve.

Oh my...that's not good advice! Some smoothies have 100 gms of sugar. Drink good quality - high Protein low sugar protein drink(s) until you can eat enough to be able to get adequate calories.

I just wanted to give a quick update in case anyone is reading this thread with the same issues, and also to thank you all for your comments - they really helped.

I'm not halfway through week 5 and, until yesterday I was struggling to get more than 200 calories a day. I've lost 32lbs in five weeks - so that's been amazing - but, for the first time in my life, I started to worry about malnutrition. My skin has started to show the effects of so little nutrients.

Anyway, I had a bit of a breakthrough yesterday. My doctor had told me that as long as my calories were Protein, that was the most important thing. So I stuck to trying to eat eggs, chicken etc, and could manage about two tablespoons, or less, and I would start feeling so nauseous I had to stop.

Anyway, yesterday I was feeling so ill that I decided I didn't care what I ate anymore as long as it had calories, and I bought a tuna Mayonnaise sandwich on soft wholemeal bread, and some pate and bread. Turns out, I can eat these (without crust). I ate almost the whole sandwich! Amazing. Took me an hour, but whatever. Anyway, I think the carbs are helping the Protein go down or something. Saying that, I tried Pasta a few days ago and that didn't work at all. But I feel like a different person today. So far, I'm at 200 calories for Breakfast and lunch - which doesn't sound a lot, but compared to the last few weeks, it's a huge change.

I'm seeing the doctor for my follow-up on Monday, so I guess I'll find out more then.

Thanks again for all your comments :)

You are still healing and have inflammation from your surgery.

It will improve dramatically in the weeks ahead.

For now....just keep taking it slow and easy like you are doing.