Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your diet is a lot more structured after WLS. Especially near the beginning, there are certain foods that you can eat, and a lot of foods that you can’t eat. It’s important to hit your calorie and Protein goals, while doing your best to get in tons of other nutrients, too.

Now that you need to be careful about every bite you take, do you make a lot more of your food yourself rather than depending on prepared foods from restaurants and convenience stores? Do you spend a lot more time in the kitchen than you used to? Have you become a better cook?

Or have you gone the opposite way – keeping foods simple and easy, possibly depending on easy choices like yogurt, cheese, and fruit?

How, if at all, have your cooking and food prep habits changed since WLS?

Yes, I do more cooking and preparing food at home now. But, I don't have a full kitchen. If I did, I would probably doing even more cooking now.

I definately spend way more time cooking, shopping and planning meals.

Before surgery I was always eating junk and fast food, now I am playful to make sure I have the proper groceries and I have had to learn to cook differently.

I live on Pinterest finding recipes that I can use as a base and then tweak it to make it Bariatric friendly.

I do more cooking and less, in a way. I used to cook fast/easy/horrible meals for myself (like ramen noodles) frequently. Now I cook one big meal that lasts me several days, and then my shakes and Snacks like cottage cheese and so on are pretty easy to prepare and involved no cooking. In some ways, I spend a lot less time in the kitchen now. I sort of prefer it that way. :) Turns out I am actually a great cook though! Who knew?

Yes and no. On days when it is cool enough I do enjoy planning out meals and cooking them myself. On days when it is just way too hot to turn the stove on (like today!) I will go to the grocery store and buy a rotisserie chicken, and live off cheese and yogurt.

I have a ton of recipes pinned to try, and my family so far has loved everything that I have prepared which is a bonus! I can't wait for fall and the cooler temps to arrive. I'll be busting out the crock pot for all kinds of delicious family friendly and bariatric friendly meals.

I have found that if I see an interesting recipe, I will plan it, shop for it, prepare it and glorify in the whole process.

Then there are times when I'll just eat a Protein bar.

I am five years out and still experience no hunger. I'm actually sad about that. All of the fun and anticipation of "social dining" is gone. I'd rather be doing something---anything except "wasting time" eating.

I find that I have to stay attentive, or I'll find myself grazing, instead of stopping and taking the time to concentrate on my eating.

Work in process...no regrets.

Yes and no. On days when it is cool enough I do enjoy planning out meals and cooking them myself. On days when it is just way too hot to turn the stove on (like today!) I will go to the grocery store and buy a rotisserie chicken, and live off cheese and yogurt.

I have a ton of recipes pinned to try, and my family so far has loved everything that I have prepared which is a bonus! I can't wait for fall and the cooler temps to arrive. I'll be busting out the crock pot for all kinds of delicious family friendly and bariatric friendly meals.

God bless the "chubby chickens"! I buy one about every week. :)

I cook and grill so much stuff now that I don't eat.

Yes, I do cook far more than I did pre-surgery, but I always cooked. Restaurants are still dear to me, but I want a greater sense of control. All the advice to ask exactly what goes into a dish and order dry this, steamed that seems to negate the purpose of going to a restaurant. I used to order out a few times a week, too, and have done so infrequently since surgery.

I'm fortunate that my band rules out very few foods. Getting "stuck" is extremely rare. This lets me cook as simply or [almost] as elaborately as I please.

Fast food/junk food places were never really on my list. I took a bite of Mcdonald's decades ago and swore off. Then, about 20 years ago, I discovered a lapse in my tastebuds and brought home a double cheeseburger and large fries every couple of weeks for two years. I've taken bites of other fast food products once and only once. Same goes for chain restaurants; I shun them. All those places in my past are wildly popular and, therefore, the fault is mine.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I'm not sleeved yet but I'm making choices like I am. I went to a convince store not long ago looking for something to eat. In the past it was easy, some carb fueled crappy thing and off I would go. I ended up buying a cheese stick that the nutrition label really didn't scream EAT ME FAT MAN but it was better than my previous choices. Convenience stores aren't really all that convenient now.

I definitely meal-plan, shop and cook more than I did pre-op. (I've lost all my excess weight and maintained my weight loss for over 15 months.)

Breakfast is high Protein / high Fiber. lunch is something easy, e.g., dinner leftovers, a high-protein/high-veggie salad or sandwich, etc. Planned Snacks (not grazing!) are fruit, cheese.

We do a sit-down dinner every night -- either home-cooked or healthy takeout. We eat in restaurants 4-5 times a month.

I'm such a fan of My Fitness Pal. Using it for the last 2+ years, I've learned so much about the basic nutrients of specific foods.

I now eat more fibrous veggies and fruits; yesterday I had carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, spaghetti squash, and blueberries.

Yesterday's Protein came from a Protein Drink, Greek yogurt, skim milk, cheese, roast beef, chicken.

Whole grains were high-protein/high-fiber bread (2 slices), all-bran Cereal.

I have treats daily. Yesterday's were 1 salted caramel biscotti, 1.5 ounces of scotch, and 1.4 ounces of dark chocolate.

It's all so delicious and satisfying. I couldn't be happier about how I'm eating. :)

I do much more careful shopping and choosing even though I can only tolerate liquids. I spend alot of time making homemade Soups. But I waste alot. Some things I try, I get a bite down and the rest gets thrown away. I have doubled the cost of my food shopping bill too unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I shop and cook less because I eat less. The preparing needs some more time (e. g. measuring because I want to know the nutrient content of the food).

I definitely meal-plan, shop and cook more than I did pre-op. (I've lost all my excess weight and maintained my weight loss for over 15 months.)

Breakfast is high Protein / high Fiber. lunch is something easy, e.g., dinner leftovers, a high-protein/high-veggie salad or sandwich, etc. Planned Snacks (not grazing!) are fruit, cheese.

We do a sit-down dinner every night -- either home-cooked or healthy takeout. We eat in restaurants 4-5 times a month.

I'm such a fan of My Fitness Pal. Using it for the last 2+ years, I've learned so much about the basic nutrients of specific foods.

I now eat more fibrous veggies and fruits; yesterday I had carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, spaghetti squash, and blueberries.

Yesterday's Protein came from a Protein Drink, Greek yogurt, skim milk, cheese, roast beef, chicken.

Whole grains were high-protein/high-fiber bread (2 slices), all-bran Cereal.

I have treats daily. Yesterday's were 1 salted caramel biscotti, 1.5 ounces of scotch, and 1.4 ounces of dark chocolate.

It's all so delicious and satisfying. I couldn't be happier about how I'm eating. :)

Awesome post !!!!!

Looking forward to daily maintenance living as you described.