Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't know if I truly qualify as a newbie. I had the gastric sleeve surgery last week, so I am post op. I didn't realize I could probably get support from a group online. A friend (former student) recommend this site so I'm jumping right in since it was never too late. Let me give you my history.

I am a short (5'3") male senior citizen. I have yoyo'd in weight problems all my adult life from an unhealthy 110 pounds in my 20s to my recent 241 pounds last summer. Partially because I am not prone to exercise and also because I had major spinal surgery several years ago, my weight ballooned in the past decade. I developed a laundry list of problems including diabetes 2, hypertension, sleep apnea, GERD, fatty liver disease, stage 3 kidney disease, Iron problems, diverticulitis, and a host of others. I was on 20 pills a day and when we traveled, I needed my CPAP machine and half a suitcase filled with medications. I have been on narcotics (small dosage) daily for over 2 years. I don't know the straw that broke the camel's back. I didn't care that much about how I looked because I am a foodie. I love to cook and eat.

My cousin-in-law, a retired urological surgeon early last year suggested that with all my problems, I should look into some kind of surgery. I listened and started some research. I am in Northern Vermont, near Burlington where UVM is located and 2 hours away from Dartmouth-Hitchcock in New Hampshire. I visited both and enrolled in both programs with a "let's see" attitude. My biggest problem, I think was at the introductory program at both hospitals. I looked around and mainly saw morbidly obese women who were easily hundreds of pounds overweight. I doubted I needed help but I moved on. I spoke to my coterie of doctors who all thought that if diet didn't work, I could try this procedure. I forgot to mention that I have seen multiple dietitians over the decade and stayed with one for two years up until I enrolled in a program. I really couldn't lose weight. I went to a Homeopathic MD and was given a series of incredibly tests to find out I was allergic to food except for chicken and Water. LOL.

So I marched on, hesitant, knowing that I could always say no which is what the surgeon said on my first visit when I enrolled in UVM. Dartmouth was too far if there were post op problems. Even though in my eyes I wasn't morbidly obese, I was, and was told that my BMI qualified me for the program along with my list of ailments. I couldn't understand why there were so many meetings and "delays" with scheduling the procedure but now I understand. I had to lose 24 pounds before I could go ahead with surgery. I had to attend behavioral sessions and diet session and have regularly scheduled meetings with the team. It took 6 months to reach that goal. Then, through a variety of stops and starts in scheduling, I still had the option to back out. Practically all my friends and family were great supporters at first.

Along the way, I learned more an more about the procedure, the preop and the postop. I learned why this decision couldn't be addressed immediately. By the time the operation came around, I had lost 40 pounds. So many of my supporters including some nurses in the MD offices started to question me. "Look what you did on your own. Why do you need this?" Answer: "Because I know me better than anyone and I have a history of putting on the weight after losing it." I wanted some way to eliminate that stigma. I listened, I researched, and I questioned ad nauseum. It wasn't until the last week when almost everyone started to question my decision that I started to question myself. My husband was totally on board and supportive throughout. Most others, commended me but again, thought this was unnecessary. I questioned myself the last month repeatedly. But my answer was, "I want to live a longer life without medical problems."

So I did it.

Before I began the liquid diet, I started cooking meals for parties and everyone I knew. Things that would take all day to prepare and then I would have one portion and give away the rest. I learned to like the Protein Shakes and Soups which were the last ten days of "freedom." Prior to that, I had a week's worth of eating out nightly ordering food I knew I couldn't have in the future. I honestly believed I had transitioned some because I didn't overeat and was careful about the items on the menu. For a year, when we go out to eat and that was frequent, I would call up the restaurant menu online. I would find some things that I felt weren't that bad and then plug them into the computer program myfitnesspal.com. Then I could adjust what I would eat so I wouldn't be in trouble. That part, I believe, is necessary for success leading up to the procedure.

The medical team was 100% behind me. They complimented me to an excess and my results. I tended to talk to anyone who would listen especially when I started to lose weight on my own. By the time the operation rolled around, I knew I was ready. It was the correct direction. I was a darn good teacher for so long and found out about some of my students who had the procedure and their success.

The operation went smoothly. Anything that I questioned was answered and there have been no complications. I am about to finish stage 2 of the liquid diet and will be transitioning to "baby food" in three days. I have researched recipes on the internet so I learned that I could still like food and cook. Yes, the portions are miniscule, but when I try to push, I feel it. So I stop. I put down my spoon at each meal. I will have some of the food and walk away, like to the computer, and come back in fifteen minutes to have a bit more. I was always a fast eater and am learning how to stop that.

So here I am. Why did I join? Because this life is ongoing. Everyone needs support and I am not different. I need to share. Basically, I am an big caregiver and a great listener. That has been all my life, sometimes to a fault. I am prepared to write about anything and everything that has happened. Even since the surgery, in one week, I have lost 10 more pounds. I think I'm 61 pounds now. I don't know what my goal weight will be. I will be sure to stop when told OR when I have to buy clothing in the boys' department. I can look in the mirror now and also not cringe at photographs of me. I am already off insulin for two months and with lower blood glucose readings, I probably won't be put back on oral medication. I will know more in a week.

I think I just wrote that I am reaching my goal of a healthier life. It's what I wanted and vanity had nothing to do with it. Being a male, it is more "acceptable" to be overweight. That's a lot of hooey. Therefore, anyone who wants to reply, please feel free. I'm here and I feel like a poster boy for this procedure. I will update periodically and check other posts and recipes to see how other people are doing. Only you can make the decision. It will affect your future and that only matter to you. Till later....N

Welcome to "The Hood", my new friend.

There aren't too many of us "Nor' Easterners" on BP, so I am delighted to see your post.

I am from the Catskills, which is only , what? one mt. range away?

I wish you a joyful journey---one step at a time. The final decisions will always be yours, but hopefully we on BP can be of some encouragement to you along the way.

Here's to only tiny bumps in your road to successful WLS.

Welcome, I'm sure you will love all the topics you want to read about on here. And great friends who will give advice or tell you their story.

This is the best site I have found, not way to many grouchy people, for the most part the people on here are friendly.