Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I ever get my energy back?

I was sleeved on 5/25/16. I have a horrible NUT and doctor. They have very little post surgery interest. Hence this website has been my savior.

I realize that prior to surgery I had loads of energy which allowed me to get through all the bumps in life. I did all of my confessions at Overeaters anonymous. Read lots of books and spent lots of money on quacks.

Now I can't make it past two rides at hurricane harbor without wanting to go home and rest. I have snippets of energy. I'm on top of the Protein and Water intake. I'm exhausted after walking a mile. I've lost 40 pounds but it seems, from my perspective, at a huge sacrifice. I have been religiously committed to this new way of life but I just can't last as long as I used to.

My reality was that I was constantly going. It's like I have to monitor my energy output as well as everything else. Even at work I have to get as much done as I can on the most pressing projects because I'm not sure when I will putter out.

Now I'm monitoring sleep, exercise, stress and anxiety, avoiding psychopaths and crazy people, food intake and hours ingesting, water intake, poop output and urine output. Personal disposition and human interaction. Journaling and personal projects.

I even leased a place in time square to keep active. However my current is not meeting my expectations. Is there anything I can do besides taking any stimulants like coffee or medication? Will it get better with time? I just can't keep up like I used to. My brain and body are on two different planets.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

For the two months after surgery I also seemed to run out of energy at times. Sometimes in the afternoon I even took a nap, which helped. It got better over time, I exercise daily, and now I have much more energy than before surgery.

I would stay away from large amounts of coffee or 3 hour energy drinks. In addition to Protein and Water, you should be tracking total calories and taking your recommended Vitamins. Hopefully you have a followup appointment with your doctor scheduled where you could discuss your energy level and results from a recent blood test. If your surgeon isn't helpful, go to your primary care physician.

I haven't had coffee for 5 months. I don't do energy drinks. I take Bariatric Vitamines daily. Severe problems with Constipation even though I take colase daily. I also take Probiotics daily. My calorie intake is approximately 800 calories per day. I followed up with the Bariatric surgeon 2 weeks ago and they ordered bloodwork. I went to labcorp and am waiting to hear about any Vitamine deficiencies.

I need more energy so that I can exercise more. It's a catch 22.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I need more energy so that I can exercise more. It's a catch 22.

I struggled with this as well. I signed up for small group fitness training at 10am three times a week and initially struggled. I spoke to my RD and she suggested eating some fruit before exercising, drinking Water during exercise, and eating some Protein after exercising. I followed her recommendation and it helped with my energy level.

@@sondra2368 - "Now I'm monitoring sleep, exercise, stress and anxiety, avoiding psychopaths and crazy people, food intake and hours ingesting, Water intake, poop output and urine output. Personal disposition and human interaction. Journaling and personal projects."

I actually got tired just reading that. ;-) Hope you are not being too hard on yourself.

I had surgery on 6/30/16 and I am so tired and weak. I have to go back to work in 2 days and don't know how I'm going to make it. Also, I itch all over by back and stomach. food does not taste the same at all nothing tastes good not even Water.

Sent from my SM-G900P using the BariatricPal App

I talked with my surgeon about this at my last appointment and he said it'll take a few months for our energy comes back. Especially for us women. Because we store our estrogen in our fat and we're losing it. And it'll make our mood go crazy. I've been crying at the tv a lot lately lol I'm on B12 shots every 2 weeks. Maybe try that? I'm so sorry you have a crappy doctor. To go through this crazy experience we really need a great doctor for the support.

Don't forget your body is pretty much mildly starving because of the new sleeve. You are not eating enough to sustain your weight..thats the whole point of it. I am 4 months post vsg and I still tend to need a mid afternoon rest.,. It will improve..just keep doing what you're doing.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

It will get better with time. I found that following a schedule/routine helps. Definitely, make sure that you are taking your Vitamins and drinking enough Water. We need to be hydrated to have energy. Ironically, I found that the more I move the more energy I get. I have been committed to walk/running or some form of cardio exercise (I do Rockin' Body if I can't walk/run) daily, and this has helped tremendously with energy. Good luck!