Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous about psych eval

This is hard to explain without telling my whole life story. Long story short I was a skinny person before I am where I was now, about 120 pounds ago. Not in a healthy way- I was diagnosed with bulimia about 10 years ago when I was 16. Since then, I have taken a lot of steps to better my relationship with food, although I have gained so much weight. I think that ultimately screwed my metabolism.

Anyway, going through all of these clearances, I'm terrified to have this psych eval. I am so much better than I once was, and I am not just doing this without knowing how much work it is going to take for this lifestyle change. I have trouble lying- I'm an open book. So to not mention this part of my life may be hard for me. My PCP is also aware of my history but I would hope that he knows I am much (mentally) healthier now.

So what do I do? Not mention it, mention it and hope it doesn't mess up my chances?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Having a Hx of eating disorders will not necessarily preclude you from being able to have surgery. They want to make sure that you are stable and able to handle the surgery... And the changes that will happen to your body. A lot of people who aren't stable and have had past experiences with eating disorders return to past behavior patterns, which is why it's important to talk about them. At the same time, you have to make the decision about what is right for you, and what you feel comfortable discussing. Though, speaking as a psychologist in training ( but not giving advice as one), we can often tell when clients aren't being forthcoming about things...

What do you do? Be honest.

I truly doubt that you would not be cleared because you have an eating disorder, especially if you are in treatment and recovery.

What would be more likely to keep you from being cleared is dishonesty.

Honesty with myself and my medical team is a major critical success factor for me.

Best of luck.

This is hard to explain without telling my whole life story. Long story short I was a skinny person before I am where I was now, about 120 pounds ago. Not in a healthy way- I was diagnosed with bulimia about 10 years ago when I was 16. Since then, I have taken a lot of steps to better my relationship with food, although I have gained so much weight. I think that ultimately screwed my metabolism.

Anyway, going through all of these clearances, I'm terrified to have this psych eval. I am so much better than I once was, and I am not just doing this without knowing how much work it is going to take for this lifestyle change. I have trouble lying- I'm an open book. So to not mention this part of my life may be hard for me. My PCP is also aware of my history but I would hope that he knows I am much (mentally) healthier now.

So what do I do? Not mention it, mention it and hope it doesn't mess up my chances?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I also have that same exact history, with anorexia and bulemia at age 16. I am 26 now, and have also put on about 120lbs in the past 10 years.

I was very honest with my psych, and he did express some concern. He told me that although very rare, patients with a history of anorexia or bulemia can psychologically revert back to that mindset if triggered by massive weight loss, and if the weight doesn't come off quickly enough or if we stall. He required me to go home and really think about it and log some more food in my journal, and return for another appt 2 weeks later. I did, and he told me that he and the surgical team discussed my history and they agreed that my mindset now is stable and I was approved for the surgery.

He also told me that if I do happen to start reverting back to those thoughts and tendencies after VSG, that I will need to be hospitalized and treated by a psych.

I now am 1 1/2 weeks post op and doing good. I've lost 13lbs so far, and am following all surgeon instructions diligently.

So my advice is to be honest with your psych. They are there to help you, and to do what's best for you to succeed. Just emphasize that you are fully capable of making good food choices after surgery. I would suggest writing down all current meals in a paper journal to show. That really helped me.

Good luck and stay strong!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

What CNOEL 3 said and Inner Surfer Girl. Honesty with your team is important and you are not alone in the work you are doing. The Psych evaluation is an important part and they will be available to you as you work through this weightloss on the way to yet a healthier lifestyle. Wow! You will develop some awesome expertise!

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

In my support group their were ex cons, ex drug abusers folk with bi polar and other depressions, so don't fret. Just be honest. They just want to know if you are stable enough to have a healthy outcome. If you have any underlying issues how have you or will you cope. I was super nervous too lol

99 percent of people getting this surgery have an eating disorder.. it just may not have been diagnosed. Def be honest about it

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

^this for sure. I was worried about saying the right things or accidently saying something that would make the psych think I'm not ready. In the end due to other issues im dealing with personally and medically (unrelated to food or my weight) she gave me clearance on the condition that I start to see a psychologist regularly. I think if you're honest about your past and show the person that you're taking it seriously and that you understand what it means, they'll see that you're emotionally stable in that regard. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App