Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I need your help. I am only 1 week postop and I was very foolish yesterday. I had rice and a quesadilla at a restaurant. I only ate a tiny amount of each, my hubby couldn't believe I could possibly be full, but it certainly was not puréed. I also had a frozen marguerita.

I chewed everything super well and had no pain or feeling of anything getting stuck. However, after, I felt like I had eaten a four course meal. I was absolutely stuffed and there was a lot of pressure and tightness.

Today my stomach feels and looks swollen. I am now panicking that I have somehow pushed the band out of place or ruined my surgery. I have no pain whatsoever.

Should I be worried? Would it be painful if the band has slipped? I can't believe I've done this to myself, only one week in!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I can't comment on the band issue but I would seriously consider therapy for an eating disorder. It's extremely dangerous to eat off plan this soon out from any WLS. Hope you don't have any problems.

Hi KristenLe,

Thank you for the response. I have been in therapy for a few weeks now, obviously not long enough. I wish I could take it back.

I had rice and a quesadilla at a restaurant.

, I felt like I had eaten a four course meal. I was absolutely stuffed and there was a lot of pressure and tightness.

Today my stomach feels and looks swollen. I am now panicking that I have somehow pushed the band out of place or ruined my surgery. I have no pain whatsoever.

Should I be worried? Would it be painful if the band has slipped? I can't believe I've done this to myself, only one week in!!

There are reasons that we're told to follow a plan in the few weeks after surgery, after adjustments and at all other times along the way. You don't have to panic; churning emotions can affect the band in undesired ways. As to wondering whether you have cause to worry, what's the point after the fact? Just follow guidelines hereafter. Rather than worry, remind yourself of why you chose surgery.

From your description, you probably did no great harm apart from disappointing and scaring yourself and feeling the pressure and tightness yesterday. Don't press your luck, though, or you could end up being deeply sorry.

Fyi, rice and bread are two foods that band people are told to pass by. Same of Pasta. The reason is that these are among the foods which, when cooked, can be squished into a squishy, paste-like ball in the hand. As such, there's a good chance that they can become "stuck." It's sort of like gumming up the esophagus.

Watch your step, kiddo, and you'll be okay. Stick with the therapy. Put a picture of the filthy, unconscionable Chris Christie on the fridge. He had surgery and there's no guessing why he bothered.

Thank you so much for the feedback. I will stick to it from here on. That's good info on Pasta and rice.

Chris Christie had wls surgery? Really?!

Edited by kbarbs

We all make mistakes. It is whether we recognize them and learn from them. I am betting you learned something.

Oh wow, I'm kind of impressed you were able to get quesadillas and rice down the hatch one week post op! I was still gagging on my watery Soup at that point.

I will say, though, don't do that again. Even though there's no actual cutting of the stomach, there is an incision that's hooking your stomach around your band on one side to hold it in place and if you eat too much this early on that incision could be damaged. Just be careful.

Follow your surgeon's guidelines - typically Clear liquids the first day, full liquid diet for 2 weeks, purees for 2 weeks, and then transition to normal food.

That's good info on Pasta and rice.

Chris Christie had wls surgery? Really?!

It applies to bread and any other doughy things, too.

Yup, he had surgery. I'll guess four or five years ago. He may have lost some weight, but, given his weight pre-surgery, not that much. I suspect that he's regained it at least in part.

there is an incision that's hooking your stomach around your band on one side to hold it in place

I don't follow your statement. The band circles the top of the stomach, not the other way around. I'm unaware of an incision at the band/stomach meeting point and don't understand how an incision would "hook" anything. If there were a "hooking" step in the procedure, wouldn't it have to be a suture, a staple or something along those lines?

If things -- bands themselves and the surgical techniques -- have changed since my 2009 band surgery, please fill me in. I've only known of bands that fasten around the stomach, hence, nowhere else to go (barring a slip). A suture holds the port in place. It would otherwise migrate around our insides.

Hi Kbarbs,

I commend you for being honest enough to come and admit fault. Just focus on the what, why and who you are now and going forward.

Remember this feeling next time you are tempted. God, I'd kill for a margarita lol