Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Those Who Work, How long were you off?

For those who are back to work, how long did you take off? In hindsight, do you think it was the right amount of time? How did you know you were ready to go back?

Thanks

please ignore this one, I posted twice by accident. I got an error message after each attempt to create a topic not realizing that it had actually worked. See the duplicate.

Hello Melvin. I was out for about two weeks. I think it was enough time because I didn't have any serious pain after the first week. I was tired though so the second week was needed. I wouldn't recommend less than two weeks. I work at a desk job. If your job is more physical, you might want to consider taking longer.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I took 1 month and Im happy I did since I had a few complications after

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

Sleeved Fri 7/1. Doc approved me for 6 weeks. No complications. Could have Easily gone back to my desk job Mon 7/11 but i took extra 2 weeks because when does one ever get this time back. I rested, spent time with my family, cleaned the house, organized cabinets and drawers, went on early morning bike rides with the hubby. Pure vacation. I go back Mon 7/25.

I had RNY and took 4 weeks...I could have easily went back at 2 weeks but went ahead and took the extra couple weeks to just enjoy being off. I did yard work and spent time learning more about my new diet.

My opinion, 4 weeks is a nice amount of time...even though physically I could have went back sooner, it was nice to take the extra couple weeks to just mentally wrap my head around my new lifestyle. :)

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

I work a desk job, and was off two weeks, and then the 3rd week I worked partial days, more like 5-6 hours. I'd say this was just about right. It kept me progressing at a decent pace but I wasn't feeling like hell while being forced to toil...

2 weeks. it was the perfect amount of time. (i had 0 complications or pain after surgery)

i went back with a 10lb lifting restriction for a month.

Like Barry suggests..if your job is very physical-consider more time off.

1 week off completely and 2nd week went back part time. I think two weeks would have been perfect. It was hard going back in week 2 and I was very tired after my first and second day back, but by day 3 everything was o.k.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Edited by lessismore4me

1 week off completely and 2nd week went back part time

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Thank you so much for your response I was only able to be off for 1week 2days and will return the 2nd week on light duty for 4hrs a day! My body heals pretty quick praying for no complications with sleeve!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using the BariatricPal App

I took off the part of a week when my surgery was and one full week. I was approved off for 4 in case anything went wrong - and ended up working 6 hour days the rest of that first month so I could have more time to focus on my diet and walking. or take a nap if needed. after a month I went back to my full schedule.

Hi, got my mini gastric bypass last tuesday and will go back to work next monday. I have an office job and feel already good enough to go back

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I took four weeks, definitely didn't need it. I had my surgery on a Tuesday and should have and was able to go back on the following Monday.