Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm sure this has been asked time and time again but at what point post op did you begin to get rid of old clothes? I want to buy new pieces but I also realize I'm nowhere near my goal weight. Also ladies, when did you all start replacing bras ? Any input is welcomed and appreciated :)

I don't have answers because I have only gone down one size. The disadvantage of being large. I think I am close passing to another size soon. I am thinking about once get to the next size 20W. I will get rid of all the 24W. Getting rid of some clothes makes me sad. :(.

The bra question should be interesting. If I lose much more in the chest I will have no choice in the matter and when it comes to working out a good supporting bra can make a big difference.

I replaced pants as I went down, but saved tops and jackets until I'd gone down 4 sizes. I needed a new bra once I'd lost 80 pounds.

Wearing fitting clothes draws notice to weight loss. I wasn't ready to do that for a long time. It's really all a personal choice based on budgets and comfort levels.

I was a size 22 and didn't buy new clothes until I was size 18. Mostly because plus sizes fit for so long - all that elastic. When my pants started falling, that's when I discovered I was a size 18. I would buy two pairs of pants and 4-5 shirts and then repeat once I'd dropped two sizes. So at size 14, 10, etc. Basically, I bought just what I could get by with for work because I want to save my pennies for when I'm at goal. It's no fun, especially when you see all the cute clothes that you can now fit into, but I just keep my eye on the prize at the end. :)

I purged my closet each time I had to buy new clothes. If it didn't fit, it went. Just donate and get rid of it all. Don't agonize over it or think of the wasted money or anything - just let it all go. It's very freeing to see that nearly empty closet and know it's because you've made such progress and done something amazing for yourself.

Edited by sprocket

Luckily (or unluckily) I had tons of jeans from going up and down through the years. I had sizes ranging from 10-22. Most of which were only worn a few times since I switched. I am not buying any new jeans until I am at my goal. Most of the shirts I had got thrown away though, so I have been buying some. What I have been doing is, every month I go out to target and buy their shirts that are 3 for 24$. they are plain but they come in nice colors and really show off my shape well. I also have bought some at old navy, because they usually have shirts for 5-10$.

If you can, wear leggings - they'll fit for SIZES. I am still wearing the same ones I had on when I was a size 22, and I am a 14 now.

I am a month out from surgery and I am already needing pants. Seems like all my weight loss is in my legs and butt :( which neither needs to lose too much of lol. I will need some slacks for work (teacher and starting back in two weeks). I have a few skirts that might work too. I have no issues at all with shirts bc the weight loss isn't doing too much to my upper body--I.e. where I really need to lose it. Hopefully it will balance out!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I purged clothing the whole time. When I got to 12 I purged the 16s, got to 10 purged the 14s. Now I am at 6 and I have nothing larger than an 8.

6 months post op, I've had 2 purges. I got rid of everything that doesn't fit except 1 pair of pants to remind me how far I've come. I usually stay in draw string pants but every once in a while I want something that fits and I buy a new pair of pants.

Isn't there some sort of a clothes swap site? Where you keep rotating close sizes with others so you don't have to keep spending money on new clothes?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using the BariatricPal App

http://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/990-clothing-and-goods-exchange/

Isn't there some sort of a clothes swap site? Where you keep rotating close sizes with others so you don't have to keep spending money on new clothes?

http://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/990-clothing-and-goods-exchange/
Thank you but it's not a link to that site. It's an old thread from 2003

I'm close to 3 weeks post op. I wore my clothes pretty tight so because I'm pear shaped my waist can get away with alot more than my hips. Lol. I'll be able to wear my clothes for awhile.

By the time I drop close to 50 lbs it'll be time to start buying a few pieces here and there. I've been putting away 25-50 bucks a pay for clothes when the time comes. My daughter is a junior 13/14 so I can just share with her until I hit goal weight.