Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On liquid diet and fainted

Hi all- Today is day 4 of 14 day liquid preop. I fainted this morning in my kitchen. Feeling better now that I have a Protein Shake in me. Anyone else ever experienced it and how did you combat it? I'm thinking getting up in the middle of the night for a few sips of Protein might help. Any thoughts? (And yes, I put in a call to the nutritionist and am awaiting her response to see if I can adjust this at all, but she isn't in until 10am and I passed out at 6:30am so just trying to get any advice I can before she calls back). Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yes indeed this happened to me.

I was 6 or 7 days in to my liquid pre-op diet and I *almost* passed out (unlike you, who took it across the finish line... ) while I was in the shower. After lying down in the tub (and having a weird completely unexpected cry) I researched what happened - I was hypoglycemic due to lack of calories. I felt nauseated, had head spins, saw stars and was irrationally emotional.

I realized that this was ridiculous (my body was shocked out from so few calories), so I ate a salad. Just lettuce, cucumber and a dash of lemon juice and Bragg's Aminos. Just getting that incredibly low-calorie salad into me made me feel 100% better.

I'm not recommending that you "break" your liquids diet, however I am suggesting that your body needs more than what the liquid diet is giving you. Maybe add another shake in there? Best thing - call your surgical nursing team and ask for some direction.

Please PLEASE let us know what your program says about this! I'm going on the liquid diet myself one week today, and what happened to you is a concern to me that I've thought about. I hope you feel better and that things are up from here!

@@bridgetsband How scary! Until you hear back from Nutritionist - be sure to drink something with electrolytes. You could probably benefit from sodium too - so maybe some broth. These strictly liquid diets are excessive and dangerous as far as I'm concerned. Hope you feel better!

@KristenLe - - - Dehydration might have been the reason for someone else, however not this girl! I've been, and continue to be a Water hound. I love it. Its like my own personal form of heroin. I am ridiculous about Water intake, and know most certainly that dehydration was not the issue!

You are absolutely right, though - most of us do not get anywhere near what our bodies require in terms of fluids in an average day.

I believe I was a camel in a former life....

I would drink some electrolytes.... i always got close to fainting when i was on liquids and i would drink some electrolytes and feel better.

Low sodium and potassium can reduce your blood pressure... so it can cause fainting/lightheadedness

Thanks everyone. The nutritionist didn't change anything when I saw her. The patient coordinator pulled me aside as I was leaving and whispered "as long as it isn't three days before your procedure, if you really need something, it's ok to have chicken or some Protein as long as it's less than the size of your fist. But all liquids three days before." ...she has a lap band too. So, I'm going to hard boil some eggs to have on hand in case I get woozy again so I don't faint. It was pretty scary fainting and being alone in the house.

In the morning when I get up and walk around getting things done ( to fast ) if my blood pressure is really low or my sugar is low I start to GAG!! Feeling like I'm ganna vomit. So I sit down get over it and move on lol but I can only imagine when I start pre op

Like theprofessor, I had a few rounds of being "irrationally emotional", but that was in my first few days. I tried to go back to the gym today, but just couldn't handle it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using the BariatricPal App

I was often light headed during my pre-op diet. My NUT said it probably low blood pressure or dehydration. I was drinking plenty of Water but I never bothered with broth. Having the broth helped. And someone else mentioned electrolytes. You can get propel Water or the powder to add to plain water to get the electrolytes. Good luck!!

@@lorless Your irrational emotions might have been you de-toxing and getting rid of the junk in your system through the Fluid diet. I know I had a brutal headache, leg twitches, sleeplessness... it was a tough few days.

Be kind to yourself and try not to do too much while you are on your pre-op fluids. Take it easy, get lots of sleep, drink loads of Water and try not to do too much strenuous work (including working out...). There will be loads of time for that after you have your WLS! :-)