Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I see him tomorrow for my first appointment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the BariatricPal App

I live in Youngsville. Do you feel like you are ready? Did he give you enough info? Are you low bmi? I'm 35.

Yes, I'm very ready! I would have gone in sooner if he'd had a date bite that's fine. It gave me more time to prepare. I am low BMI as well ... He said as long as I had 30+ pounds to lose, he would do it. My BMI is 32. On August 1st I began a pre-diet (he only requires 24 hour liquid diet prior but I wanted to wean myself early from sugar, caffeine, fast foods, carbs, etc). Others have complained of headaches etc and I just want to eliminate as much "other" pain as possible. I'm also going to start some light weight lifting and generally just boost my health as much as possible prior to the 30th. Upping my Water intake as well so I can be as hydrated as possible. Two weeks prior I'm going to move to 2 shakes a day and 1 lean meal (probably lunch). I'm so excited to have someone going through this in my area and same Dr. Let me know how your appointment goes and when your date is!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It was short and sweet. I feel comfortable enough to do it. I couldn't schedule it until the Thanksgiving holidays though! I hate having to wait that long!!

Oh no!! But it will be here before you know it. What helped me the most was to take a calendar and write down everything I wanted or needed to get done before my date (reference my eating above). Also still have my cardiologist appointment on Monday that he wanted me to do for clearance.

I'm worried I will blow it after the surgery and up back at this weight in a couple of years.

This may be a little late for your original question, but Dr. Borland performed my surgery last Tuesday, 08/09/16. He was about as personable as I've ever seen a surgeon be and doesn't waste much time with non-essentials either in the consultations or on the day of surgery. I saw him in July for a consult and had the surgery four weeks later, so we bustled along.

The surgery was outpatient at New Iberia Surgery Center. I was really pleased with their facilities and most of the staff members were great. My intake nurse couldn't get the IV in on first or second try and it was hella painful, but I have small and cantankerous veins so ymmv. The good news is the IV stick was probably the most painful part of the whole process. I had only the smallest amount of nausea the night of the surgery (was back at the hotel by then) and while I've had some light pain and discomfort when standing in my large incision at the belly button, nothing has been debilitating. The nursing team the assistant anesthetist (I think he was a CRNA, but not certain) were generally and very attentive.

Dr. Borland came to see me at the hotel on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, checked all my vitals and the incisions, and said I could leave Thursday and he thought I'd be just fine or I could stay another night and he'd come back to see me again. I chose to leave because I missed my bed and the comfort of home. I handled the 4 hour drive back home on Thursday really well, no nausea like I'd feared. I did take the pain med for the trip because I wanted to be sleepy to help it pass easier.

Dr. Borland cleared me for full liquids a little early--starting tomorrow, Saturday, and I'm looking forward to that. My stomach has been talking to me a LOT but I haven't really felt any hunger. I'm pretty tired but not exhausted like I expected to be.

There was no coddling and little coaching, which suits me well enough, but if someone wants an involved team where you have a surgeon, GP, nutritionist, therapist, etc., all managing a detailed plan of care--Borland isn't for them. There are follow-up appointments and you can call him any time at work, at home, or via a pager, but it's very self-managed and that can be daunting.

Overall, I'm really happy with the experience, for whatever it's worth just three days out!

This may be a little late for your original question, but Dr. Borland performed my surgery last Tuesday, 08/09/16. He was about as personable as I've ever seen a surgeon be and doesn't waste much time with non-essentials either in the consultations or on the day of surgery. I saw him in July for a consult and had the surgery four weeks later, so we bustled along.

The surgery was outpatient at New Iberia Surgery Center. I was really pleased with their facilities and most of the staff members were great. My intake nurse couldn't get the IV in on first or second try and it was hella painful, but I have small and cantankerous veins so ymmv. The good news is the IV stick was probably the most painful part of the whole process. I had only the smallest amount of nausea the night of the surgery (was back at the hotel by then) and while I've had some light pain and discomfort when standing in my large incision at the belly button, nothing has been debilitating. The nursing team the assistant anesthetist (I think he was a CRNA, but not certain) were generally and very attentive.

Dr. Borland came to see me at the hotel on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, checked all my vitals and the incisions, and said I could leave Thursday and he thought I'd be just fine or I could stay another night and he'd come back to see me again. I chose to leave because I missed my bed and the comfort of home. I handled the 4 hour drive back home on Thursday really well, no nausea like I'd feared. I did take the pain med for the trip because I wanted to be sleepy to help it pass easier.

Dr. Borland cleared me for full liquids a little early--starting tomorrow, Saturday, and I'm looking forward to that. My stomach has been talking to me a LOT but I haven't really felt any hunger. I'm pretty tired but not exhausted like I expected to be.

There was no coddling and little coaching, which suits me well enough, but if someone wants an involved team where you have a surgeon, GP, nutritionist, therapist, etc., all managing a detailed plan of care--Borland isn't for them. There are follow-up appointments and you can call him any time at work, at home, or via a pager, but it's very self-managed and that can be daunting.

Overall, I'm really happy with the experience, for whatever it's worth just three days out!

Yes! Thanks for the info! This has been most helpful! Where did you drive from? I had my consultation July 20th and I'm scheduled for August 30th. I'm a low BMI so a little nervous about that but looking forward to having this tool to help beat my old lady low metabolism!

Yes! Thanks for the info! This has been most helpful! Where did you drive from? I had my consultation July 20th and I'm scheduled for August 30th. I'm a low BMI so a little nervous about that but looking forward to having this tool to help beat my old lady low metabolism!

We drove from Shreveport, and it took about 4 hours with a couple of short stops and a little rough weather.

I'm a little astonished at the results so far, to be honest. I feel amazing today--better than normal before surgery and only a little itchiness on my large incision to tell me it's there. It makes me think they did a really good job since the incisions aren't bothering me and they're healing so well.

I'm down near 20lbs in less than a week and that's had an enormous impact on the ease of certain things like showering and dressing. It may be a little less dramatic for you since there's less to lose--but maybe not, in terms of percentage of body weight!--but either way, I can't imagine the first few weeks not kicking your body into gear if everything goes well! Fingers crossed for you!

That's awesome! Where have you been going to get support or coaching? Sights like this?