Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else have a sleeve revision to bypass due to complications?

So glad things are getting better with you I convert to bypass from the sleeve on Wednesday the 28th I'm so scared to honest that pain all over again is what I worry about and the dumping stuff people suffer.
Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

How are you doing?

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app

I havent had dumping. Ive had a few episodes of feeling sick. You have to limit items with high sugar. Like go to no sugar added ice cream (small amount) two forkfuls of anything fattening.

You will find if there are foods you know will make you feel sick, you lose your taste for them.

Im the only one of my friends that had complications but worked through them

good luck

Update: new blockage in June 2017. Major surgery to remove about a foot of intestine. It s now august and I feel great. hats off to columbia Presbyterian in NYC

That is fantastic! So you had a blockage after VSG? Then all they did was remove the foot of intestine? Did you have adhesions which led to the blockage? That is awesome you are doing well!

Had a bypass. The first obstruction was due to adhesions. The second in June was due to scarring inside intestines. They snipped both sides and reconnected the ends. So far so good but it's only six weeks. The next month will tell

Hopefully it would not scar up again Regards

Hi Steve, thanks for sharing. Glad you are doing well and hope no further issues. Take care and keep us posted

I'm booked for sleeve to bypass conversion on August 18th at NY Presbyterian. I've been having painful reflux since my sleeve in December 2015. I've lost about 113 lbs and my weight is still dropping, albeit slowly because I'm not feeling great so I'm not working out. I blew every goal I set out of the Water, if hoped to be under 200 lbs, my dream was to get to 160 lbs, I'm currently around 150 lbs. When I was 16 I was 140 lbs, so this is very surreal for me.

The reason I lost so much is because my pouch twisted in the middle, so is now hourglass shaped, basically meaning I can only eat half what I should at a time, and if I don't chew really carefully I tend to puke. They discovered this during an endoscopy and the barium swallow test to investigate the reflux, which I assumed was an ulcer.

I'm also very private about having had this procedure, only my hubs, children, and a couple of very close friends know. I'm also worried about dumping, I do get it now but usually only after something liquid with high sugar, like ice cream, so I don't eat that any more. I can even eat cake with frosting! I've developed more of a sweet tooth since the sleeve, but I'm sure I'll adjust to whatever I end up with. As someone else said, you stop wanting to eat things if they make you feel terrible.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ive had surgery by Dr Krichelly and Brezzler at NY Presbyterian. The corrected obstructions and strictures from band to bypass complications . You are in good hands

Regarding dumping, you have to get use to portions. I f you eat to much with bypass you get bloating. This happens about ten to twenty minutes after you eat. With the band, you get stuck immediately. With bypass, Your pants get tight. I started to saliva and had dry heaving.

since they fixed the problem I've been fine. Dr Krickhely promised to fix problem and delivered. Adhesions are a risk of any surgery. Good luck

Ive had surgery by Dr Krichelly and Brezzler at NY Presbyterian. The corrected obstructions and strictures from band to bypass complications . You are in good hands
Regarding dumping, you have to get use to portions. I f you eat to much with bypass you get bloating. This happens about ten to twenty minutes after you eat. With the band, you get stuck immediately. With bypass, Your pants get tight. I started to saliva and had dry heaving.
since they fixed the problem I've been fine. Dr Krickhely promised to fix problem and delivered. Adhesions are a risk of any surgery. Good luck
They are a wonderful team! They did my sleeve surgery and are always very thorough and patient with any questions and during my follow up appointments.

I eat so little at the moment, Dr Bessler said I may actually gain weight after the bypass because I'll be in less pain. I'm sure I'll mess up with portions and sugar while I learn my new system, it was a challenge to figure out the tolerance of my sleeve at first too. Thank you for the bloating tip!

Thanks for Sharing Steve. Yes, it is tricky figuring out portion sizes. I think best thing to do is to just eat really slow. I have another question. Does anyone know how much time between sleeve and revision to RNY surgery that is required?

Hi cheese, keep us posted. You will do fine. God bless!

I had a band .most doctors will weight a few months between taking out band and doing sleeve or RNY. From sleeve to RNY, some insurance company's require six months of nutrician and all requirements as if it was your first procedure.

In my case, Unite health care approved removal of band and RNY the following month. I had tremendous damage to esophagus and upper stomach. I had the band over 8 years and it started killing me I lost and kept off 130 pounds. The day before the removal of the band , they reviewed the file and revoked the approval for the second part (the RNY). As much as I wanted to keep the band as I was thin for the first time in my life, it was nt worth dying over

I appealed to United Health Care. They still refused so I appealed to New York

State and won. Sleeve to RNY is a single procedure So it is only a matter of getting insurance approval Hopeni answered your question. Best of luck

I had the sleeve done just over 18 months ago, but due to the GERD issues I was experiencing, my surgeon started talking about converting it to a bypass about 6 months ago.

I had a revision in May of this year. I had bad reflux but unfortunately the surgery didn't cure my problems. Anyone know if there is something else you can do? Or perhaps get the surgery checked by another surgeon?

You might have a hiatal hernia. Check with GI dr first.