Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For many years prior to my Weight Loss Surgery, I was waiting for a magic bullet [no, not the blender] to come along and make it very easy for me to lose my excess weight. Some new drug or Vitamin that made the process very easy. Many weight loss drugs were introduced through the years but many had adverse side-effects, some were outright dangerous.

Well, a new device called AspireAssist was just approved by the FDA. The device works by restricting caloric absorption and decreasing the rate of eating/chewing. Under conscious sedation and with the use of an endoscope, a tube is placed within the upper portion of the stomach, with the other end attached to the surface of the abdomen through a secured port. The device is then attached to the port when the patient is ready to aspirate, 20-30 minutes after a meal.

Approximately 30 percent of the caloric intake from the meal can be emptied directly into the toilet, requiring about 10-15 minutes in all for the aspiration process.

http://acsh.org/news/2016/07/14/fda-approves-new-way-to-purge-calories/

[i remember reading stories that the Romans used binge and purge cycles in the process of overeating. When they were full they would go and vomit out their stomach content so they could continue eating. Apparently some of those stories were false but the myth remains. http://history.howstuffworks.com/history-vs-myth/did-romans-purge-bellies-in-vomitoriums.htm]

The device, called AspireAssist, is marketed for obese patients with a BMI between 35-55 who have been unable to lose, or maintain loss of weight, using non-surgical methods. Though it has been available to the European Union population since 2012, it recently gained FDA approval in the United States.
Results of a one-year U.S. clinical trial showed that participants (n=171) who used the device, in addition to counseling, lost 12 percent of their initial weight on average, when compared to a 4 percent weight loss in those in the counseling only arm of the study.
Well, I am glad I didn't wait around for this one.

This honestly disturbs me. There were two threads about this not too long ago and people got MAD when I said it seems like medically assisted bulimia. Still, though I find it gross and altogether sort of messed up, if it helps people, more power to them... I'm sticking with my bypass and happy to do so. :)

It bothers me too. Let's stuff our faces and then just "purge" so we don't absorb all the calories (or the vitamins)! The only difference I see with this and bulimia is that it won't rot your teeth.

12%... so in a 250 lb person... you're talking 30lbs...

And you get to run to the bathroom, spend 15 minutes in there, emptying a tube filled with food you've chewed up.

Um... no thanks.

It bothers me too. Let's stuff our faces and then just "purge" so we don't absorb all the calories (or the vitamins)! The only difference I see with this and bulimia is that it won't rot your teeth.

OMG you are so ON POINT about the teeth! I'm cringing and laughing at the same time! Practicing dentistry for 20 years, I ran across more young adults who had eroded the back side of their front teeth. I always was cautious but direct mentioning what I observed to them.