Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I am a fourth year Psychology student doing my Thesis on successful outcomes for obesity, and I have posted my survey here in the hope I will get a few people to help with this research. The research aims at finding long term solutions to obesity and looks at success after bariatric surgery. You will be asked a series of questions that relate to your personality and feelings. It will help you better understand your relationship with food and society. I hope to take the reluts to the Australian Society for Obesity on completion, you will be given the results as well.

Thank you in advance! Please click on the link below, it is completly anonymous, Ashley.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8KR7B3V

Edited by Ashley Frizell

@@Ashley Frizell, I just took your survey. One of the questions I was expecting but didn't remember answering was "When was your bariatric surgery?" Mine was 5 weeks ago. I think my answers to many questions would be significantly different if the surgery was 1+ years.

Good luck with your work!

Edited by waterwoman

I just completed the survey as well and have 2 suggestions:

First, what is the difference between "just a little" and "not so much"? In the survey it goes from:

Not at all / just a little / not so much / much

To me, "not so much" would be closer to "not at all" in that they are both negative statements. "Just a little" would seem closer to "much", but really you have 3 terms that refer to nothing or a little, but you don't have third term for "kind of important" or "a little".

This question: Is weight an obstacle for your physical activity? To me, there is almost no difference in the just a little/not so much answers, but a huge leap to much. Having made many surveys myself, I'd much rather see more definitive answers that are not open to interpretation. What kind of conclusions can you make from such ill-defined answers? A Likert-scale (1-4) or even adverbs of frequency like never/occasionally/sometimes/always I think would be less prone to mis-interpretation. (To be fair, this may have to do with Australian English, IDK - maybe "just a little" and "not so much" are much more clearly defined in the Australian psyche, or have different definitions to what the rest of the English-speaking world uses, but it's not something I've come across with any of the Aussies I've known.)

Finally, I would prefer to see a completion bar/status of some type. There is no indication of how long the survey will be and at some point I got tired with the endless questions and didn't know when it would end. Knowing that I only would have 1 or 2 pages to go would have me more likely to complete it (which I did - but only because right when I was going to quit I got the last page) - I have a feeling you may have people dropping out because of the endless nature of the questions - especially in the beginning, as you seem more interested in introversion/extroversion personality factors than weight loss, and that is a long page to go through.

This isn't meant to be a overly critical, but I don't like taking surveys where I am not sure of what the answers mean and I have to guess what you are trying to say and that my interpretation may not match what you are looking for.

Also, perhaps it would maybe be good to have a "other" or text box option where people could clarify their answers, if they wish.

Edited by biginjapan

I took your survey, hope it helps. My answers may seem strange because I had lap band 10 years ago, and am having it revised to gastric bypass this November.

You should add a question regarding perceived outcome. I met goal, and feel because of this, some answered were skewed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

@@Ashley Frizell, I just took your survey. One of the questions I was expecting but didn't remember answering was "When was your bariatric surgery?" Mine was 5 weeks ago. I think my answers to many questions would be significantly different if the surgery was 1+ years.

Good luck with your work!

Hello, Thank you so much for taking time to do this survey. Yes, that is true, there should have been a date question there, and it is being modified as we speak, if possible, can you please go back and put it in? I will do a seperate analysis for the time period.

Thanks so much.

Ashley.

Just took the survey ....good luck

Sent from my 0PM92 using the BariatricPal App

Thank you! I have added a 'when did you have surgery' button as apparently this was missing. If you fit into that catagory, please feel free to go back and add in a date. Thank you so much for your time. Very appreciated. Ashley.

First, what is the difference between "just a little" and "not so much"? In the survey it goes from:

To me, "not so much" would be closer to "not at all" in that they are both negative statements. "Just a little" would seem closer to "much", but really you have 3 terms that refer to nothing or a little, but you don't have third term for "kind of important" or "a little".

This question: Is weight an obstacle for your physical activity? To me, there is almost no difference in the just a little/not so much answers, but a huge leap to much. Having made many surveys myself, I'd much rather see more definitive answers that are not open to interpretation. What kind of conclusions can you make from such ill-defined answers? A Likert-scale (1-4) or even adverbs of frequency like never/occasionally/sometimes/always I think would be less prone to mis-interpretation. (To be fair, this may have to do with Australian English, IDK - maybe "just a little" and "not so much" are much more clearly defined in the Australian psyche, or have different definitions to what the rest of the English-speaking world uses, but it's not something I've come across with any of the Aussies I've known.)

Finally, I would prefer to see a completion bar/status of some type. There is no indication of how long the survey will be and at some point I got tired with the endless questions and didn't know when it would end. Knowing that I only would have 1 or 2 pages to go would have me more likely to complete it (which I did - but only because right when I was going to quit I got the last page) - I have a feeling you may have people dropping out because of the endless nature of the questions - especially in the beginning, as you seem more interested in introversion/extroversion personality factors than weight loss, and that is a long page to go through.

This isn't meant to be a overly critical, but I don't like taking surveys where I am not sure of what the answers mean and I have to guess what you are trying to say and that my interpretation may not match what you are looking for.

Also, perhaps it would maybe be good to have a "other" or text box option where people could clarify their answers, if they wish.

Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the survey, and I absolutely agree. That was one aspect that I did not like about the survey but unfortunately could not change the wording of the answers as the measures are from the standardised Orwell 97 (the not very distinct measures as you mentioned - for my co-investigators research), the SF12 (my simple 12 questions ;) for my psychological study) and the IPIP (many questions here which my co-investigator needs for her part which looks into personality traits). This was something I really did not like but apparently we needed to keep it the same as it has been standardised. That is a good idea to have an indication of the end - I know it is a long survey. This is my first survey, and so far we are so grateful to have such a good response. I want to work in this field, so it means a lot to me that this goes well. Thanks again, really appreciate it.

Ashley.

Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the survey, and I absolutely agree. That was one aspect that I did not like about the survey but unfortunately could not change the wording of the answers as the measures are from the standardised Orwell 97 (the not very distinct measures as you mentioned - for my co-investigators research), the SF12 (my simple 12 questions ;) for my psychological study) and the IPIP (many questions here which my co-investigator needs for her part which looks into personality traits). This was something I really did not like but apparently we needed to keep it the same as it has been standardised. That is a good idea to have an indication of the end - I know it is a long survey. This is my first survey, and so far we are so grateful to have such a good response. I want to work in this field, so it means a lot to me that this goes well. Thanks again, really appreciate it.

Ashley.

P.S We assumed the "a ittle, "not so much" etc was American English!

You should add a question regarding perceived outcome. I met goal, and feel because of this, some answered were skewed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for taking the survey, it is greatly appreciated. That is a good idea, and I will see what we can do. This is my first survey, and so far we are so delighted at the results coming in. Thanks again for your inpu. Ashley.

I took your survey, hope it helps. My answers may seem strange because I had lap band 10 years ago, and am having it revised to gastric bypass this November.

Thank you so much, really appreciated. There is now a button that asks when you had the surgery, so if possible you can go back and add that anwer in. Thats, ok, I think many people will have their own unique experience such as yourself, but I am hoping the data will still be relevent for the research to show the results I'm hoping for!!

Thanks, again,

Ashley.

I started to take the survey, then stopped.

The majority of questions are in respect to those who are overweight, obese.

I had surgery over 5 years ago, I have not been overweight / obese, and at a normal weight for 4 years now so I can't answer questions that ask how my obesity affects my daily life.

I kept answering "Not at all" which would not be accurate, as it is not coming from an obese/overweight person.

I started to take the survey, then stopped.

The majority of questions are in respect to those who are overweight, obese.

I had surgery over 5 years ago, I have not been overweight / obese, and at a normal weight for 4 years now so I can't answer questions that ask how my obesity affects my daily life.

I kept answering "Not at all" which would not be accurate, as it is not coming from an obese/overweight person.

Hello,

Thank you very much for partly taking the survey, I can see how that may have been confusing, but as we have written the survey to be completed by those who have had surgery as well as those who have not. If you answered the questions as "not at all" that is fine as that is how you are NOW and we would be able to see that you no longer have those problems. If you would like to take it again, or pick up where you left off that would be great, but if not thats ok. I understand it can seem misleading.

Ashley.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to do our survey. I know it can be tedious, so thank you so much, its really appreciated. The results will be analysed once we reach 600 participants, and shared for all to see (still totally anonymous).

Ashley.