Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good evening everyone. I had a bad experience today. Last night my wonderful husband broiled shrimp for us. They tasted great! I ate 3 small shrimp with no side effects.

We had left over shrimp so he re-heated them for us at lunch today. Within 15 minutes of eating 2 shrimp I became very ill- stomach cramps, nausea, and vomiting. This went on for about 4 hours. I finally had to go to bed and sleep it off.

Has anyone else had this happen with leftovers?

The good news is I'm down 14 lbs since my bypass date of 6/27.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Not specifically leftovers but what I will say is that there are days when something works and then the next day my tummy doesn't like it.

As time goes by, this does improve.

I had trouble with shrimp the first time I ate it. It may have to do with the tough, spongy texture after it was reheated.

That's what I thought. I had 2oz of fresh broiled lobster Friday and did fine with it. I guess it's part of the learning experience.

I live on the Texas coast and love fresh sea food. It's a good source of Protein and a little goes a long way.

Good evening everyone. I had a bad experience today. Last night my wonderful husband broiled shrimp for us. They tasted great! I ate 3 small shrimp with no side effects.

We had left over shrimp so he re-heated them for us at lunch today. Within 15 minutes of eating 2 shrimp I became very ill- stomach cramps, nausea, and vomiting. This went on for about 4 hours. I finally had to go to bed and sleep it off.

Has anyone else had this happen with leftovers?

The good news is I'm down 14 lbs since my bypass date of 6/27.

Wow sorry you had this experience. That's horrible. I'm actually surprised you are eating solid foods at this point. I had my surgery on 6\29 and am only allowed liquids and pureed foods. Maybe that had something to do with it that your body wasn't ready to process it.

Sent from my LGLS990 using the BariatricPal App

After a 2 week post op liquid diet I went right to solid foods. My plan doesn't include a bridge stage of pureed foods. Of course it's mostly a "pay attention to your body" game.

Might be the reheating that changed the food or else just your stomach adjusting. At this stage it's all trial/error stuffs. I have found seafood to be the easiest to digest so far as well. Keep it up! :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using the BariatricPal App

If you reheat food in the microwave, you suck the moisture out. So that makes it harder to digest and it can get stuck.

I don't eat leftovers and I never heat things in the microwave.

My comment would be like a couple of others- why are you eating solids already? You had bypass? Right? There needs to be a progression, IMHO, into solids- at 3 months post op, when I am cleared to eat anything, I still can't. And like a previous poster said, one day something works, another it doesn't, and I get stuck or nauseated. The mouth foaming is the worst! Lol. Be careful. Treat your pouch gently. By 2 weeks post op your foods should still be soft, mushy and WET. And always always always- don't drink after you eat.

Feel better! Be kind to your body! Best wishes!!

I've found that boneless, skinless chicken thighs have this same effect on me! Right out of the pan they are wonderful, but if I reheat them, it is a NO GO!

HW: 437

SW: 376

CW: 326

RNY on 5/16/16

Shrimp is a food that always makes me sick, which is disappointing because I used to love it and the Protein in it is great. :(

As for leftovers. I usually find they are too hard for my stomach unless it's a Soup. Then I get that stomach pain that doesn't go away so I have to vomit to make the pain stop, cause it'll last well over an hour.

I will say it took me a long time following bypass before I could chew shrimp well enough to actually tolerate it. It was one of those foods I put off until 3 or 4 months post op.

Fish, no problem......I also was not released for regular food until week 6 post op and then it was soft regular foods.

I do eat left overs all the time, I think I would go broke otherwise. I usually choose to warm them gently either using the microwave at 50% power and stirring many times in between or I warm them in a pan and use broth or some other sauce to ensure they are not dry. I even do that now 22 months post op.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches