Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reason #2016 for surgery

I am in the third month of my six month diet... I am dedicated. I quit all my vices... no more drinking beer light or otherwise, no smoking, no candy hidden through out the house, no more fast food, no more soda which was almost always diet.

I now log all food that goes into my body, drink loads of Water, Protein Shakes once to twice a day. With all this I'm not losing weight. I am down in the dumps today. I am throwing myself a grand pity party right now. So I went out and bought carbs.... cherries, strawberries and apples to go along w. my afternoon Protein.< /p>

I was a pretty heavy drinker (beer and diet soda) I thought that alone would have helped me shed some #'s.

Enough pouty face for now.

OK, now what? You have not thrown your middle finger at that little part of you that says "you can't do this" until you have dropped a pizza in the dumpster. You can do this.

@@okiegirl1980

Please don't get discouraged. You are pre op and honestly I did the same thing and after 9 months list only 3lbs prior to my pre op liquid diet.

By the time some of us get to surgery our metabolism is so screwed up that it takes a huge change like drinking nothing but Protein shakes and Clear liquids to get things moving.

If your surgeon requires a loss prior to surgery you may have to go liquid sooner.

My surgeon is the one who was not at all surprised that I wasn't losing any weight pre op. As my hubby told him, she barely eats how the heck can she not lose weight? It really does happen. For me, my age played a huge part along with my lack of a productive thyroid.

Keep your chin up, don't give up! You can do this and if you need help private message me. Or if you just want to talk. ;)

I'm not required to lose just assumed I could possibly. Of course assumptions are like....

@@OKCPirate & @@Djmohr Thank you! I appreciate the insight.

The last time I tried to lose weight on my own I combined diet and exercise and over the coarse of a month, I gained weight. I am getting old and my body was changing. I had type 2 diabetes and I think my glucose levels interfered with the weight loss process. I could no longer make a dent in my weight even when I tried hard. I did not want to go down the very destructive path that diabetes leads to. I saw first hand how it destroyed my mother. So I choose the only option that looked like it might work. I had RNY gastric bypass. I am 3 years post-op and pleased with the results.

So hang in there and don't give up. Weight loss surgery is an entirely different process than dieting and it does work. But you have to follow the program requirements.

@@James Marusek

Exactly how it was for me.....I swear I could look at food and gain weight. I also lost my mother to complications of obesity at 66. I swore I would not do that to my kids, I was lost without her and still am.

As you said, this really is the best thing I have ever done. I have not looked back for a second.

You can do it! I think it is great that you are doing this when not required - It actually will set you up for success when the surgery happens - And you already know you can live without those items well before you have to give them up. I will be honest before i was going to have weight loss surgery i was a BIG wine drinker - I wont say exactly how much as i don't want to shock anyone - to a point when i was thinking about giving it up - i was afraid I wouldn't be able to - But I was and by the time i had surgery i didn't have to add that to the list of items I missed or thought about as a sacrifice. Same goes with smoking (congrats by the way) - I smoked for 24 or so years and quit cold turkey 1 year and 1 day ago - in preparation for the surgery - again - it just solidified that I CAN control my life when i want to.

The weight loss will come with the surgery - the good habits can never come soon enough.

You are doing great..

I now log all food that goes into my body, drink loads of Water, Protein shakes once to twice a day. With all this I'm not losing weight.

I'm not required to lose just assumed I could possibly.

It speaks well of your prospects that, despite no requirement, you chose to lose weight. Your mind is in a good place: You're serious.

It goes without saying, which shan't stop me, that cutting out alcohol and the rest is smart. What raises a question is your saying that you're logging everything, but no word about what you are logging apart from the shakes. Sad to say, it is easy for counterproductive edibles to be going down your gullet. Consider an appt with the practice's RD to review a week or two of food logs. S/he can make suggestions for improvement.

It's impressive that you chose to work on this. It probably makes you an exception. Although my bariatric practice had a loosey-goosey requirement (my insurance plan had none), my own surgeon told me that she didn't care whether I lost weight before surgery. A fool, I thought, "Oh, good, I'll start after." Three weeks, prior, however, it occurred to me that, if I were serious, I'd start immediately. I dropped 11 lbs which the surgeon noted aloud in the OR. This is not to say that, like you, I'm impressive, but that it told me I was ready for the long haul.

You'll be fine.

I now log all food that goes into my body, drink loads of Water, Protein shakes once to twice a day. With all this I'm not losing weight.

>I'm not required to lose just assumed I could possibly.

It speaks well of your prospects that, despite no requirement, you chose to lose weight. Your mind is in a good place: You're serious.

It goes without saying, which shan't stop me, that cutting out alcohol and the rest is smart. What raises a question is your saying that you're logging everything, but no word about what you are logging apart from the shakes. Sad to say, it is easy for counterproductive edibles to be going down your gullet. Consider an appt with the practice's RD to review a week or two of food logs. S/he can make suggestions for improvement.

It's impressive that you chose to work on this. It probably makes you an exception. Although my bariatric practice had a loosey-goosey requirement (my insurance plan had none), my own surgeon told me that she didn't care whether I lost weight before surgery. A fool, I thought, "Oh, good, I'll start after." Three weeks, prior, however, it occurred to me that, if I were serious, I'd start immediately. I dropped 11 lbs which the surgeon noted aloud in the OR. This is not to say that, like you, I'm impressive, but that it told me I was ready for the long haul.

You'll be fine.

I am training myself now how to eat as though I have had WLS already. I start w. Protein first on my plate, 2-4oz depending on the healthful value of it, then veggies. Carbs even fruit are a snack or combined w. a protein like snack. I do think my main issue is that I still am learning to have small meals through out the day. I end to lightly graze during the day but really still eat most of my calories in the evening. From what my Dr said this is most likely how I became obese in the first place and how many people become obese. I do not binge I just have dinner and then a snack before bed instead of just eating dinner and breaking up the meals through out the day. Most of my exercise is during the day also.

I sit on a balance ball for 20 mins several times a day instead of my regular desk chair.

I am serious. I have serious dreams for the future and it will be super hard to accomplish those with a 100 extra lbs. on me.

I do not like having my time wasted. I refuse to waste the time of the individuals that are helping me through this process. I have also wasted enough of my families lives not sharing with them the hidden me.

I appreciate all the positive energy that people put out on this site. I hope that others gain as much insight as I am.