Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

will insurance cover plastic surgery

I am almost two years post op and for the first time really considering surgery to remove the loose skin. I am wondering if anyone has had success getting insurance to pay for surgery. I never thought I would want it, but i am feeling like the extra skin is a reminder of a past life where i was dying everyday and how much I let myself go. I want to close the book on that part of my life, and for me, removing the constant reminder is a part of moving on from it, although I know I will never forget just how bad i got before i had surgery... Anyway, if anyone has thoughts Id be open to hearing them,

Thanks.

@@Bigdog56

Check your policy.

You are going to have to prove that it bothers you, like rashes etc.

I see a plastic surgeon on the 11th and I cannot wait. So far, I have found nothing covered and was looking at brachioplasty, Tummy Tuck and a breast lift with augmentation.

Those are definately no covered and it looks like it will cost right around 22k for those 3 procedures here in Wisconsin.

I am also considering doing something with my butt. I literally have no butt and what seems like no muscle there. When I sit or lay on my back my tail bone sticks out so bad that I have to use 2 coccyx pillows, one on top of the other because one is not tall enough to give my tailbone room.

I am seeing a orthopedic surgeon as well so I will either end up having all or part of my tailbone removed or if insurance covers it, maybe consider a butt implants? I do not have enough fat left on my body todo a butt lift.

Has anyone else had this issue with their tailbone protruding so far that you cannot sit or lay on your back>?

I see a plastic surgeon on the 11th and I cannot wait. So far, I have found nothing covered and was looking at brachioplasty, Tummy Tuck and a breast lift with augmentation.

Those are definately no covered and it looks like it will cost right around 22k for those 3 procedures here in Wisconsin.

I am also considering doing something with my butt. I literally have no butt and what seems like no muscle there. When I sit or lay on my back my tail bone sticks out so bad that I have to use 2 coccyx pillows, one on top of the other because one is not tall enough to give my tailbone room.

I am seeing a orthopedic surgeon as well so I will either end up having all or part of my tailbone removed or if insurance covers it, maybe consider a butt implants? I do not have enough fat left on my body todo a butt lift.

Has anyone else had this issue with their tailbone protruding so far that you cannot sit or lay on your back>?

Try squats for 3 months :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@gettingsleeved1

I have been squatting for almost a year now, it has not made any difference what so I ever. I have also been in physical therapy since December twice weekly and sometimes 3 times weekly also exercising at home in between. It has made ZERO difference when it comes to my butt or my tailbone.

I'm having my abdominal excess skin removed, thigh skin lifted and "lady bits" made "perdy" again.

All of that will be completely covered by my insurance.

Insurance wouldn't cover any of mine, tried!

@@Djmohr I had a similar issue until my chiropractor and physical therapist had me re learn how to sit. This is what worked for me....

We learn to sit to accommodate the fat. I needed to push my butt back further in the chair, reclaim the natural curvature of the lumbar spine and sit more on the backs of my thighs or "sitz bones" as my yoga teachers say... Less on my butt itself.

post-194772-14679379257383_thumb.jpg

I'm having my abdominal excess skin removed, thigh skin lifted and "lady bits" made "perdy" again.

@@Valentina who is your insurance with. My BCBSIL was great for WLS but doesn't cover any plastics after WLS. But I get to choose my plan every year and there are about four providers. I am hoping there is one that is more likely to cover.

@@jess9395

I had to do the same thing and it does help a little but I also have very severe mid spine issues which makes even sitting in a straight back chair impossible.

My tailbone actually requires that I sit on one cheek or the other if not using a double coccyx pillow. Of course doing that is not good for my upper spine. Recently my myofacial therapist suggested that I have adult onset scoliosis due to degenerative disc disease. It does all make sense given the fact that I used to be 5'11 and I am now 5' 9 1/2.

I seriously don't know what I am going to do about it but will be speaking with both a plastic surgeon and an orthopedic surgeon in the next few weeks.

Following as I am having issues with the loose skin under my arms. Bi had my year check up with my WLS and complained to him so it would be documented for insurance, but he said "good luck" when I said I hope insurance will cover it since I am having issues. Does look so good.

@@Valentina who is your insurance with. My BCBSIL was great for WLS but doesn't cover any plastics after WLS. But I get to choose my plan every year and there are about four providers. I am hoping there is one that is more likely to cover.

I have Fidelis through Medicare.

Good luck! :)

@@jess9395

I had to do the same thing and it does help a little but I also have very severe mid spine issues which makes even sitting in a straight back chair impossible.

My tailbone actually requires that I sit on one cheek or the other if not using a double coccyx pillow. Of course doing that is not good for my upper spine. Recently my myofacial therapist suggested that I have adult onset scoliosis due to degenerative disc disease. It does all make sense given the fact that I used to be 5'11 and I am now 5' 9 1/2.

I seriously don't know what I am going to do about it but will be speaking with both a plastic surgeon and an orthopedic surgeon in the next few weeks.

I had to have my tailbone adjusted by my chiro to help this issue. Not many will do it but it helped immensely. I also have DDD and I have a stand up desk at work so that I'm not sitting all day because it makes my back so much worse. Even though I've had it for 10 years now I haven't lost any height (yet). I'm going through trigger point injections, physical therapy and adjustments twice a week to try and resolve the chronic pain. They told me along with DDD I have osteoarthritis in my lumbar spine and the beginnings of it in my cervical area. :-(

Most insurance companies require serious skin hanging below genital areas a least 6 inches of loose skin flapping with rashes. My abdominal pasty with muscles redeem was $8,500.00