Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My work here is done

As a newbie I hope you all stay engaged. It is very important to get your perspective, learn from your experience, and hear people say it is going to be rough, it is a fundamental life change, and we can succeed if committed.

Us n00bs are just gonna take way more than we can give up until we aren't newbies anymore. I could definitely see how that could be frustrating- especially when you're getting piled on for sharing your knowledge.

Not to sound like #1 creeper but just know that plenty of us are spending a lot of time reading through your old posts, soaking up knowledge, taking notes, trying to succeed. That goes to all of you vets, but especially you @@Kindle I really get a lot from your posts.

Correct me if I'm wrong...I don't think any of the veterans feel the need to rescue people that don't want to be successful.

Now that many of the vets feel they are not supported in confronting or giving an opposing perspective. We seem a bit gun shy to respond to many posts.

I'm now a vet in the distance...I'm not involved like I have been in the past.

I will miss your witty repartee and knowledgeable posts. Please come to the veterans site when you feel like communicating with those who will listen.

How did I miss the bacon thread?!

@@Kindle I'm sorry to see you go :(

Babbs Lipstick Lady ok pirate jenn Kindle and so many more, you all helped me so much this time last year , everyone was so friendly and happy to help . I'm in UK so not many sleevers here, so the knowledge I gained from this forum was wonderful. I can understand exactly where you are coming from Kindle and I will miss your comments. Think when I am one year out I will be able to join the vet forum, only a week to go.

Thanks to all of you who made me feel welcome and made me feel I was not going it alone.

Correct me if I'm wrong...I don't think any of the veterans feel the need to rescue people that don't want to be successful.

Now that many of the vets feel they are not supported in confronting or giving an opposing perspective. We seem a bit gun shy to respond to many posts.

I'm now a vet in the distance...I'm not involved like I have been in the past.

Damn straight, you get one life line, if you choose to ignore it, well sorry, drown. That's about all I have time for.

Anyone for a pound of bacon?

@@chrisredjeep ummm, thanks for mentioning this. I for one appreciate it. I do like giving back because I know in October of 2014 I was absolutely freaking out. I knew my life was going to dramatically change and I didn't have any clue if it really was the right call. When I post, well I sometimes wonder if anyone is paying attention. Thanks for letting me know at least one was. ;-)

You are welcome Mr Pirate ! I still have a read of the boards most days and I do see silly things being posted. It's hard to keep telling people don't do this as some people just won't listen. I did not get much help from my surgeon although he was a lovely man, no nut here and VSG still quite unusual in UK . So Bariatric Pal was a real find, and I hope other newbies will do as I did, read up take the advice offered and if it doubt or disagreement say nowt. ( this is a Yorkshire word meaning say nothing)

All the best to you

@@chrisredjeep - t's nowt to do with me! Great word! Have to add it to the lexicon.

I teach in Europe a great deal, and I enjoy finding new idioms I take for granted and learning new ones.

wow I haven't been on for a while so I missed the bacon debate, I will have to look for it.

I hope you reconsider staying here. I have enjoyed reading your posts and learned things through your writings.

There will be some people who do not follow their pre or post surgical plans, but hopefully after they read other people's responses, they will understand what they are doing is incorrect or possibly dangerous.

I have a date booked for sleeve and I would appreciate it if any vets would be willing to PM me because I would appreciate advice as I go forward . I'm not arrogant enough to believe I know better... I don't know anything much. I do believe experience is the best teacher which you have and I don't. I do feel immense gratitude for your willingness to give time. Also I did a liquid diet for 7 months so I have no time for people who feel sorry for themselves over a few days. If you are bored then find activities for entertainment or do something for somebody else. (This morning on BBC radio 4 they were talking about girls in India being trafficked and a 4yo bleeding to death from a ruptured uterus in which they found a stick. Frankly that's the sort of thing that I think it's worth complaining about. It's all relative!) I'm coeliac and I don't have the choices that most people have and I simply cannot understand why people are wailing about restricted diets. Try no wheat, rye, oats barley, milk as an everyday thing. I met my surgeon today and he advised that there may be extra challenges because my guts are sensitive anyway. I've not read the bacon thing but it strikes me as insanity to even contemplate it a week after surgery, a month after! I also don't get the logic of eating in the same way as got me to where I am. Surely it's a good opportunity to curb the sweet /carb craving tooth? I'm just not sure what best choices I can make. I'm useless at cooking and I want to develop a new gourmet mentality. A healthy and nutrition based non-relationship attitude where it becomes a resource for wellbeing.

So I'm understanding why you feel upset and at the same time I feel judged by the behaviours and choices of others and which I have not taken.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using the BariatricPal App

So it's very obvious the new newbies want nothing to do with hearing what successful WLS patients have to say. The recent debate over the the eating bacon 1 week postop makes it perfectly clear that what they want is for someone to tell them it's OK to be stupid. They are not interested in listening to their surgeons or nuts or veterans. Self sabotage is the new fad and compliance is apparently out of style. I made the mistake of responding to the post when, as a veteran, I should have known better. Turns out I'm just a big meanie (no surprise there!) At this point it's 95% newbies posting on that thread who don't have a clue what the long term repercussions of eating off plan so soon will lead to. The blind leading the blind.

Oh well. It will be interesting to see the stats of successful EWL go down over the next few years as more and more unprepared, uncommitted people continue to have WLS. In the meantime, I'm outa here. The newbies won. As hard as it is to tear my eyes away from the car wreck, I just can't take anymore people that do stupid **** and then whine about getting their feelings hurt. Someone PM me when the grown ups start joining again.

Wow...i'm really not happy you're going. You are very encouraging to me. I appreciate your incite and intend to listen. I'm totally going to follow the rules. Its the people who have been here the longest that I even give ear too. I'm sorry you are leaving.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using the BariatricPal App