Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys, I was wondering your experiences regarding hair loss. My surgery is in 2 weeks, and one of the BIGGEST things I'm worried about is having Hair loss with already thin hair.< /p>

-- How severe was your hair loss on a scale from 1-10 (10 the worst, and 1 not much at all).

-- At what month also did you see a decrease/stoppage of hair loss, and re-growth? I mean did you guys notice your hair feeling back to normal?

For those of you who didn't have much hair fall, can you please relate to me what you guys did? May be hard to believe but I am a vegetarian, and I'm just worried if my hair fall will be even more extreme after the surgery because of this?

Thank you all!

Hi guys, I was wondering your experiences regarding hair loss. My surgery is in 2 weeks, and one of the BIGGEST things I'm worried about is having Hair loss with already thin hair.< /p>

-- How severe was your hair loss on a scale from 1-10 (10 the worst, and 1 not much at all).

-- At what month also did you see a decrease/stoppage of hair loss, and re-growth? I mean did you guys notice your hair feeling back to normal?

For those of you who didn't have much hair fall, can you please relate to me what you guys did? May be hard to believe but I am a vegetarian, and I'm just worried if my hair fall will be even more extreme after the surgery because of this?

Thank you all!

I am still pre surgery but my dr told me to make sure I get the Minimum Protein for a women of 80-100 gms per day and the hair won't be an issue. I have also seen people tell they took Biotin as well. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Thank you all!

My surgery date is on the 11th like u my hair is a big concern but Protein and Biotin at 10000 a day is most important i have watched so many videos and asked so many people and everyone is different but they say at 3 Months it begins i pretty much freaked myself out watching videos on you tube alot of people on there track thier surgery but i have came to the conclusion that everyone is different and alot of people don't stick to thier Vitamins as they should everything u eat should be filled with Protein and all the videos post op i see they all still have hair not as thick as before but still a good amount and it always grows back

Sent from my SM-N900T using the BariatricPal App

@@AchieveGoals yes, there is a better than even chance that you'll experience some hair loss regardless of what you might do to prevent it. I experienced rather dramatic Hair loss around months 3-6.

The important thing is to remember that the loss is temporary! Don't focus on worrying about it happening or trying to prevent it, think about strategies for dealing with the period where it might be thin and focus on making sure you give your body what it needs to grow new, healthy hair. Biotin is great for reducing the loss of hair, but, in my anectodal experience, taking Vitamins C and E and eating a diet rich in Omega 3s really helped my hair grown back thick and shiny. Moreoever, I'm not embarassed to say, I got extensions to help me get over the thin- hair hump. That may not be a good choice for you if you already have thin hair, but there are many things out there you could use temporarily to ease you through.

I never had any hairloss. Never took Biotin or used special hair products. Basically just exceeded Protein goals (60-80g/day) and took a whole food based Multivitamin.

But really, There's nothing you can do to prevent it. If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. Hairloss is just your body's reaction to the stress of surgery. But remember, mental stress can do the same thing, so worrying about it may just make it happen. I never fretted about it because 1) there's nothing I could do about it anyways, 2) it's just temporary, and 3) I was actually looking forward to shaving my head and wearing funky hats. But instead my hair is longer and thicker than it's ever been.

My Hair loss was probably about a 5 out of 10 scale. It began about month 7 and lasted until about a year and half post op. I called it the "Bariatric hairstyle"!!

I was one of the ones who lost hair despite taking 10,000 mg of Biotin, getting all my Protein in (80-100 gm), taking my Vitamins.

My hair was really thick to begin with so the hair loss was manageable. What was bad was the dryness, brittleness, and breakage. What helped me was I began drinking bamboo tea- high in silica and I added marine collagen powder to my Water. The collagen slowed the hair loss way down and the bamboo tea really helped combat the dryness, made my hair silky and shiny again. It also stopped the breakage. I also cut a few inches off my hair and that helped too.

I am now a little over two years post op and my hair is pretty much back to normal.

Hi I had my op July 16th 2015 and I noticed my Hair loss around December January was at its worst. Here we are now in July 2016 and my hair is back to normal. I tool Biotin 10000 tablets daily also Multivitamin tablet and used a biotin Shampoo and conditioner. I was worried when I saw the hairless but I knew that my hair would grow back. My style is fairly short anyway so it did not look too bad. I would mark it at a 6 on the scale.< /p>

Good luck for your forthcoming surgery !

Thank you all!

Hi I am 12 days post-op when I started the liquid diet for 2 weeks before surgery when I would wash my hair and brush it I was losing a lot my hair brush would be full of hair. Now since surgery it is still bad but not as bad I am taking lots of Vitamins from GNC to help I also went to Sally and got hair products for thinking hair extra condition for my hair. I am with you i love my hair I very long hair and I don't want it to keep coming out. Best of luck to you

Sent from my iPhone

@@AchieveGoals

I had hair loss, even though my Protein was at or above goal from the very first day after surgery. I also took all m Vitamins. The time my hair started shedding was the time my hair normally sheds in the winter, it just shed more. As it stopped my hair came back in fuller, since I get a lot of Protein each day.

It seems to just be random who has Hair loss and who doesn't. I did all the right things and still lost hair, but it is growing back so fast I don't care.

Also, this is why they make wigs and hair extensions.

There are so many other benefits to losing weight you won't care about the hair, at least I didn't.

Also unless you are willing to chug tons of Water every day, I wouldn't recommend Biotin in large doses, it will break your skin out.

I have not lost any unusual amount of hair. Which is good because it is fine and thin.

I do not let the process stress me. (I had already decided to get a real hair wig if it fell out to the point of being obvious) I get plenty of Protein and I eat eggs almost daily( rich in biotin) not sure what a veg option for that would be. I get enough sleep and I get enough to drink.

And who knows if any of that matters? I know I lost a lot of hair some 8 years ago when going through the process of putting my son I a group home- who knows what or if I ate during that time.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Start taking extra Biotin TODAY and Iron if allowed (but my doc said NOT to take any iron the week before my surgery).

taking extra Biotin etc isn't going to do anything but make your hair grow back faster

google: telogen effluvium

this is the condition that results in Hair loss ~3 months after surgery, or any other environmental shock to your system (like giving birth)

Even if all they do is put you under anesthesia and bring you back, you can still get hair loss.

the good thing is that it is temporary, all of your hair will not fall out, and your hair WILL grow back.

My hair has thinned out considerably, but it's starting to grow back.

I've been using serums that are supposed to promote Hair growth

FYI regarding Biotin...

It doesn't just promote the hair growth on your head if you know what I mean. Your pubes are going to grow like crazy. You may want to look into finding a salon that provides a frequent customer discount on Brazilian waxing. Either that, or start buying your razor blades in bulk at a warehouse club.

FYI regarding Biotin...

It doesn't just promote the hair growth on your head if you know what I mean. Your pubes are going to grow like crazy. You may want to look into finding a salon that provides a frequent customer discount on Brazilian waxing. Either that, or start buying your razor blades in bulk at a warehouse club.

Thanks for making me laugh I needed that lol.

Sent from my iPhone

I am not sure if I lost any hair, to be honest. Maybe it thinned a bit. I have been very careful with the Vitamins and Protein and eating good amounts of fruits and vegetables though, which probably didn't hurt.