Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am new to this page, I have yet to receive a surgery date for, the gastric sleeve... Monday will be my last appointment with the nutritionist at Western bariatric surgery in Reno, Nv. I have complied with all the guilds line leading to this point. I am nervous, anxious, and scared at the same time. What I am hoping to get out of this website is information, communication, and a clearer understanding about the different obstacles that I will be facing.... Thanks in advance! My subscriber name is D'Sleeved

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Welcome and best wishes on your path to surgery. If you have questions- just ask.

Hi, I'm Bernadette. My surgery date is July 27th. It has taken almost a year to get all my requirements done. I've already lost over 80 pounds on my own before surgery. I thank God for that. I do not have any pre op diet before surgery. I got my surgery date in the very beginning of June so it seemed so far away then, but now that we are in the first week of July I'm realizing I only have about three weeks left. Omg! Well anyway nice to meet you and good luck. What made you decide to have the surgery and why did you choose the sleeve?

@ MissB1982

The reason why I want to have surgery is because; I have been trying to lose weight for over nine years... I have tried counting calories, exercising, Portion Control, and nothing has seem to work or maybe I should say I have only been able to loss 20lbs top... Which is consider Water weight. I really believe once I become over weight by 100 additional lbs the weight was not going to come off with me just dieting and exercising along...

The reason why I am choosing VGS is because. I need additional help with my intake of eating food, I have heard over and over that this surgery is just the tool. I will still have to do a lot of work to keep it off.

I have a question for you... how long did it take for, you come to the conclusion that you needed surgery? And was you open to tell your family that you was getting surgery?

Edited by D'Sleeved

D'sleeved,

I battled obesity for 20 years of every diet under the sun, shame, guilt, and addiction. The only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner.

I'm 8 weeks out and already down over 40 pounds. IMPOSSIBLE to have accomplished that any other way. My life has changed and the light at the end of the tunnel shines like never before. I don't miss food and just can't stop thinking about being healthy in a way I never have before.

Absolutely, 101 percent tell your family!!! Do you really think your struggle with food will be a surprise to them? The beauty is your doing something extreme about it because you know, in ways they won't ever fully understand, that this is what you have to do, period. Having their support on this journey will truly help and make it easy when you're declining second helpings and toxic foods.

Do it, own it, share it, and enjoy a life you have entirely forget ten about. It's exciting!

@ Mitch1

Wow! only 8 weeks and you've already lost 40 lbs ... That's bananas. Congrats to your accomplishment!

Thanks for, all the positive and encouragement you had elaborated pertaining to...

shearing my journey with my family; I have truly been considering tell my extended family.

I am going to have to be optimistic with all the feedback, that I will be encountering lol negative and positive.

Due to the fact that their opinion will be just be an opinion. My mind is already mad up, I no that this surgery will be the best for, me:)

And yes, I had been telling them for, years about all the issues, that I've been encountering with not losing weight...

Yes it is an exciting feeling... And I am only at the begging of this long journey!

Edited by D'Sleeved

I think @@Mitch1 and I may be bariatric twins... I'm 9 weeks out, have also lost over 40 pounds and feel just as enthusiastic about the whole process.

I will say I was circumspect in who I told--only my wife and best friend at first, plus one doctor who had always been the one who held me accountable for my weight. That doctor was the one who had an odd reaction and caused me to stop telling people! He has since become supportive. I told my Mom after the fact--she's supportive too but would have worried too much if she knew before. Some of my coworkers have commented on the weight loss and change in my eating patterns. I've just said I had stomach surgery and am on a restricted diet. They are supporting me too and have stopped bringing me sweets like they used to do.

All is good!

This site has been a very good source of information and support. Use it well and good luck!

Edited by silverthreads

Hey. My story is a little different but more personal but I don't mind sharing it. I grew up in a very abusive household. My dad was obsessive about fat. He made me start dieting at the age of four. I was drinking slim fast around the age of four or five and he would make me get up at five a.m. to exercise everyday. I was on dexatrim at seven. He was always merciless and it got worse as I got older. Looking back at older pictures of myself I realized I wasn't even big. I had gotten body dismorphia. I believe I was so stressed about being thin that I actually begin to binge and diet on a regular. By the time I was 14 I had gotten up to 245 pounds and was wearing 20 and 22 sizes. I got on ww and lost 100 pounds in high school but the cycle continued through my adult life after I had kids especially. Well my father and I got our relationship together and I forgave him and shortly after we mended our relationship, he was murdered. This was four years ago. I went through a majorly low depression, got involved with an abusive man, and my weight shot up in 2014 to 345 pounds. It was the biggest I had ever been in my life. And I decided to take my life back. I got on ww again and lost 30 pounds but couldn't lose anymore. And I remember crying out of frustration and praying about it and I said I'm going to do the sleeve surgery. (I had already researched it years before but didn't go through with the requirements) . So had to do a six month supervised diet and ended up losing almost 60 more pounds. So I've lost almost 100 before surgery. I just knew I had to do it for myself. I stopped smoking, dropped that loser I was with, and renewed my relationship with Jesus Christ.

As far as my family I only told two people in my immediate family. I'm not telling anyone else.

Yay for, me today I went to my last nutrition appointment... Now I am waiting for my insurance to approve my surgery... Keeping my fingers cross with prayers for, everything to go as God planned...