Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone have family with them when they had the surgery or were you alone?

After a frustrating couple of weeks and a couple of stuff around's i have booked flights and accommodations for my surgery but will not have any family support.

Did anyone of you have family there or not and how did you handle it if you didn't?? I'm not worried about it now but i think come surgery day in 5 days ill be freaking out quite a bit.

When you are in the hospital the staff take care of your every need. You don't really need family around.

You might need someone to take you home just for legal reasons, but as long as you don't have complications you don't really need help.

You have to get up and move anyway to prevent blood clots so not having help is going to make you.

Alone.

Visitors would have been a nuisance since I just wanted to sleep. Only spent 1 night in hospital.

My husband was there went I went in but after I really just wanted sleep and focus on steps to get me out. I did not want anyone there.

My parents dropped me off after getting me situated and then when I woke, I was not up to any company. Even staying 2 nights, I didn't want anyone there. I was in too much pain and when not awake I was asleep. I didn't want my kids to see me in pain like that and I just wanted to concentrate on feeling better.

You will probably get more information from the folks traveled to Mexico.....based on your question it sounds like what you're doing.....I had mine locally, my husband was there while I was in surgery but really because he wanted to be there....once I was out of surgery and he knew I was okay I told him to go home because there was no reason for him to sit at the hospital and stare at me...hahaha....So he went home. I called him the next day when they were ready to release me and we went home... :-)

I'm sure you'll be fine! But if you post this question in the Mexico forum you'll probably get a lot more responses from folks in the same situation as you. Good luck to you!!!

I travelled to and from Mexico alone. I planned on being there alone but my sister decided to come down' too. I met her in TJ day of my surgery. She was with me preop but went back to the hotel postop. she came back the next morning and we had a great time shopping and sightseeing for the next 2 days. I would have been fine by myself because the OCC and Marriot staff were there to accommodate all my needs, but since I only see my sister 1-2 times/year it was nice to have her there.

The biggest thing traveling alone postop was having someone else lift my carryon bag on to the TSA belt and into the overhead bin for me. I had to unpack it before lifting it into my truck alone once I got to the parking lot.

I'm in Western Australia and I'm flying by myself to Thailand for surgery. I fly in this Wednesday evening and will be admitted to hospital Thursday afternoon for Friday morning surgery. I'll be in Thailand for just over 2 weeks before I fly home again. ????

Sent from my SM-G920I using the BariatricPal App

I'm in Western Australia and I'm flying by myself to Thailand for surgery. I fly in this Wednesday evening and will be admitted to hospital Thursday afternoon for Friday morning surgery. I'll be in Thailand for just over 2 weeks before I fly home again. ????

That sounds like quite the adventure. Why Thailand? Have you been before? That's on my bucket list. I hope everything went well for you!!!!

Good luck! I am getting mine on Thursday (australia too) and have kids, so I am just going in to do what needs to be done, then out when I am allowed! I have to just get over the emotions of it, ha, but I hope you have a smooth run (and me too!)

Thailand offered the best surgery/ surgeon/ Hospital/ price package. Plus I stayed in a Thai Hospital with my daughter after she was hit by a truck and it was amazing.

That last sentence just sounded wrong lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

Wow thanks guys I'm getting nervous now and reading all of these reply's are making me feel better.... Truly!!! My surgery is tomorrow morning wish me luck guys ????????????????????

Best of luck, Chloe! You've got this!!

After a frustrating couple of weeks and a couple of stuff around's i have booked flights and accommodations for my surgery but will not have any family support.

Did anyone of you have family there or not and how did you handle it if you didn't?? I'm not worried about it now but i think come surgery day in 5 days ill be freaking out quite a bit.

I went with my sister. Stayed the first night, good thing, her nurses were not very helpful. She ended up staying 3 nights, vertigo issues. I was glad I was there

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App