Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi.. I'm 2 days post op. Came home yesterday & I'm Having low back pain. I think it's from sleeping on my back. I'm normally a side sleeper. Are we allowed to sleep on our sides this early out? (My concern is the pressure on my new stomach). I should have asked dr but during discharge I got distracted & forgot.

Also on another note.. Everytime I take a sip of Water or take a spoonful of broth/jello I get uncomfortable feeling right after (gas/burp/pain) does this go away & when? I feel hungry but can't really eat.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You can but you will put too much pressure on your incisions and it's going to hurt like crazy. I did not sleep on the side until day 9... I'm 11 days out.

Use a pillow under your belly. I used a body pillow. (Still do)

I turned onto my side when I woke up from surgery and haven't looked back. It was far more painful to be on my back than on my side.

I slept on my side from post-op day 1. It's been a week. No problems at all. I figure if back-sleeping was required or even preferred, my doc would have mentioned it.

Hi.. I'm 2 days post op. Came home yesterday & I'm Having low back pain. I think it's from sleeping on my back. I'm normally a side sleeper. Are we allowed to sleep on our sides this early out? (My concern is the pressure on my new stomach). I should have asked dr but during discharge I got distracted & forgot.

Also on another note.. Everytime I take a sip of Water or take a spoonful of broth/jello I get uncomfortable feeling right after (gas/burp/pain) does this go away & when? I feel hungry but can't really eat.

I had my surgery on 6/21...no sleeping instructions at all. I slept sort of on my side the 2 nights I was in the hospital and have slept on my stomach since I got home. No issues at all.

I had exactly the same experience with the pain every time I sipped or swallowed, it finally resolved yesterday (post-op day 8). I feel SO much better, hang in there!

I had my sleeve yesterday and laying on my back is not fun. Asked my doctor today and she told me I could if that's more comfortable, but to just prop my self up with a pillow in front.

I have been sleeping/laying on my side since I got out of surgery and nobody told me I couldn't. Nurses even gave me extra pillows to put behind me to give some support. I have had back surgery so laying on my back is just not comfortable for me.

I haven't had WLS yet but I did have my gallbladder out laproscopically last year. I was told that I could sleep any way I wanted, as long as it didn't hurt. Pain was the key. If a position hurt I was told to avoid it since that was my bodies way of saying that was a bad idea.