Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

T-minus 1 hour.

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life. I guess that is true for everyone, but for me tomorrow is my first day 100% focused on my gastric sleeve journey. Tomorrow I am starting my pre-op diet, 20 days before my surgery date. My doctor only requires a two week diet, but I am tired of waiting. I am ready to get started now. The sooner I start, the more weight I will lose, the sooner I will hit my milestones. Besides, there is something powerful about not waiting until I am forced to go all in. By starting early, I feel more in control.

I am hoping to use this journal to chronicle my experience. To keep me accountable. To share my feelings and to get support. Generally I am much more of a browser than a contributor in forums like this, but this time I decided to put myself out there.

So here goes. One year. My journey.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Good for you, I'm sure you will do well. All the best from me here in Pembrokeshire Wales UK

DAY 1

20 days pre-op...

HW: 374

CW: 357

Day one is almost in the books. I am doing a full liquid diet (New Direction shakes and Soup). This is not too bad for me. I have done several juice fasts and participated in a medically supervised liquid diet for 4 months before (lost 100 pounds but it ended prematurely because I got pregnant). Since then I have regularly used Meal Replacement shakes, gone on short fasts etc. to try and manage my weight. I feel like I am an old pro at the liquid thing.

The first 3 days are the worse- waiting for your body to kick into ketosis, tap into your energy stores and for the hunger to go away. Right now I am exhausted mentally and physically. Trying to psyche myself up for a short walk in the treadmill. Might have to prioritize that for the am.

Today started off a bit demoralizing. My last two days of food funerals included lots of carbs and sodium so my weight was up 5 pounds! I know it is Water weight (every gram of excess carbohydrate binds with 3.5 grams of water), but it is still feels bad to be starting off further from the finished line than you planned.

Le sigh

At least the day is almost over. And I know every day forward will bring me a little closer mentally, emotionally and physically to my goals. Journey of 1000 miles... Step one complete.

Good Luck!!! I decided to ease my way into a complete liquid diet. I'm starting off with replacing my dinner with a Protein shake. This may sound boring to most, but to me it's epic! I don't want to throw my body into a culture shock. I need to loose as much weight as possible. Starting this way seems best for me.

DAY 2

19 days Pre-op

CW: 351

Good news this morning! I am 6 lbs down after one day of shakes and 120 oz of Water. Thank goodness the unexpected Water weight left as quickly as it came.

Today is still hard to be on liquids. I walked a bit on the treadmill, but I am pooped right now and I really want a cheeseburger. I always crave meat when I am on shakes.

Technically I can have 300 calories of lean meat and veggies everyday, but I have found it easier to go hard or go home. I typically don't do well with wiggle room. We will see. I have a couple of client dinners next week and I will probably have to compromise for those.

Anywho. Another day closer. I cannot wait to get this show on the road!

DAY 4

17 days pre-op

CW: 346

I am entering the zone now. Hunger has seriously decreased and my energy level is starting to rise. My body is adjusting to being on shakes 24/7 and with 11 pounds of Water weight gone (WTF!), I feel slimmer already.

This is all becoming more real to me with each passing day. I had a bit of analysis paralysis last night trying to plan for post-op. Of course I went to my crazy place and got completely overwhelmed. I am feeling a little better now, but it is overwhelming. Taking things one day at a time has never been my strong suit.

So a little about me- I am 38 yo, wife, mother of 3 boys (toddler to teenager) and business exec. I work about 60 hours a week and travel several times a month. My life is nuts and it is REALLY hard to prioritize me. For example, today, I got up to walk on the treadmill, but then a colleague called and asked to meet before our team meeting and yada yada yada, I am still sitting here in front of the computer. No ones fault but my own, but I have to really get some discipline if I want to be successful.

Another revelation I had yesterday is how much I want to change my life and not just my weight. It is a chicken/egg scenario- I need to change my lifestyle to change my weight and I need to change my weight to change my lifestyle. Lately, I feel like I have been too focused on the weight piece of my journey and not the other aspects that need to change. I am thinking about putting up the scale and focusing my energy on the other activities I want to work on. If I am eating, drinking, and active the way I am supposed to be, the weight will come off. And how much or how fast is not in my control outside of those inputs. So maybe I should just skip the scale.

I don't know. Lots to think about. This is such a major life change I want to make sure I approach it the right way to be successful!

DAY 7

14 days pre-op

One week down, two to go. Doing okay so far. Just impatient for surgery day. And I have a lot of fears that something will happen to postpone or prevent my surgery. I am obsessively reading the posts on this site, starting to get all my post-op items together. Even though it feels like it will take forever for the 18th to come, I know it will be here sooner than it seems.

Oh! I found some Swanson Thai infused broth that was delicious. I added a scoop of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein and yum. So glad to have an alternative to sweet Protein shakes.

Tomorrow is my preop appt. Praying all goes well and I will be OFFICIALLY cleared for surgery.

DAY 10

11 days pre-op

CW: ???

11 days out and today is my birthday! I am officially on the one year count down to 40 where I give myself the best gift of all- a new body. Had a great day. Went to dinner with my husband and youngest son, where I took advantage of the lean meat and veggie option my surgeon allows. I try to stick to liquid most days but if a girl can't have a grilled pork chop on her birthday, when can she have one?

I don't know how much I weigh today. I decided to only weigh in Wednedays and Saturdays because I was starting to get obsessive with the scale. You guys know how it goes- weigh in the morning. Then again that night. Maybe step on the scale a couple more times just to make sure the scale is working right and you haven't lost more weight than you originally thought. Feelings of elation if it is lower than expected. Sadness if it is higher. Spending time retracing your actions the day before making sure you didn't mess up... It is exhausting just writing about it. I have found that weighing in everyday is great when I am trying to maintain, but terrible when I am trying to lose. Apparently that hasn't changed for me in the past two years.

Anywho. In a great head space. Very ready for my turn to join the losers bench... "Red rover, red rover let ME come over!!!"

Happy Birthday!!! I am also 11 days pre-op. Today is day 4 of the pre op diet for me and I have finally lost the headache and am starting to fee better. I loved reading your posts :)

Happy Birthday!!! I am also 11 days pre-op. Today is day 4 of the pre op diet for me and I have finally lost the headache and am starting to fee better. I loved reading your posts :)

thank you! Is your pre-op diet all liquid?