Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can someone give me a list of ALL the vitimins and minerals I need?

A complete list would be helpful because I am not sure I am taking everything.

What I have

Vitamin D3

Iron

Women's multivitamin/multimineral

B12

I feel like I'm missing a ton.

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery. This was the list that I was given.

3 Flintstone complete chewable Multivitamins daily. [This type of Vitamin is preferred because of absorption. Although if you are a few years post-op you might be able to substitute Multivitamin capsules. Gummy Vitamins are not acceptable.)

Additional 65 milligrams elemental Iron daily for menstruating women. [should be ferrous sulfate for best absorption.]

1500 to 1800 mg. Calcium citrate daily.

500 to 1000 micrograms sublingual B12 daily [should be methylcobalamin for best absorption.] or 1000 mcg B12 injection monthly.

5000 I.U. Vitamin D3. [but do not exceed 5000 I.U.]

100 mg Thiamine (vitamin B1) daily for one year following surgery and then weekly thereafter.

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery. This was the list that I was given.

3 Flintstone complete chewable Multivitamins daily. [This type of Vitamin is preferred because of absorption. Although if you are a few years post-op you might be able to substitute Multivitamin capsules. Gummy Vitamins are not acceptable.)

Additional 65 milligrams elemental Iron daily for menstruating women. [should be ferrous sulfate for best absorption.]

1500 to 1800 mg. calcium citrate daily.

500 to 1000 micrograms sublingual B12 daily [should be methylcobalamin for best absorption.] or 1000 mcg B12 injection monthly.

5000 I.U. Vitamin D3. [but do not exceed 5000 I.U.]

100 mg Thiamine (vitamin B1) daily for one year following surgery and then weekly thereafter.

Thank you so much!

There isn't going to be a list that tells you everything you need because it will vary from person to person as well as where you are post surgery.

When you get your blood work results periodically, that will be the list you'll need to go by.

Sent from my phone, please forgive brevity and misspelling

There is a list that surgeons/providers go by for post op BS patients. It can be found on of 7-8 of this document:

https://asmbs.org/wp/uploads/2014/05/nutritional-guidelines.pdf

To simplify things I stick to a multivitamin that has ALL of these requirements without having to buy several individual supplements. Look into optisource Complete MV. Manufactured by Nestle and utilizes the above recommendation to supply ALL necessary post bariatric nutrients.

There is a list that surgeons/providers go by for post op BS patients. It can be found on of 7-8 of this document:

That is a guideline yes, but it is by no means the definitive answer. It might work just fine for the OP in the beginning too. That is unless she can't have too much potassium because of interactions with blood pressure meds. Or she can't have Vitamin K because of warfarin use. Or she has gout and it interacts with something in a multivitamin...

See where I am going? For most people, a simple multivitamin will be fine. Me personally? I need more B12 and Vitamin D but less Iron because of my arthritis medicine. Once she has blood work done, she can have a custom Vitamin plan established.

Correct, but it depends how often the OP is having bloodwork done. Each surgeon uses the above guidelines especially in the first few mos post op.

I had bloodwork done by my surgeon pre-op and shortly after surgery. My next blood draw (for all my levels) won't be done until my 1 yr post op anniversary.

Excellent point! I have blood work done every year as part of my physical, have for years. In the first year after my surgery it was more frequent of course, but I will have to continue getting it done every year.

My surgeon told me I could do a bunch of different Vitamins or I could get optisource Vitamins (I get them on Amazon) they are chewable and I just take 4x/day. I also have prescription Vitamin D that I needed before surgery, and I added Biotin to try to help with hair.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I went to my doctor and he suggested I take Biotin, Vitamin d and a multivitamin. My immune system was pretty down so I added high dose Vitamin C too. I take the Vitamin C separately with Biotin. All of them are in Gummy form with the exception of materna..

English is my 6th language so forgive me if my sentences don't make any sense at times!

Edited by Lema

I went to my doctor and he suggested I take Biotin, Vitamin d and a Multivitamin. My immune system was pretty down so I added high dose Vitamin C too. I take the Vitamin C separately with Biotin. All of them are in Gummy form with the exception of materna..

English is my 6th language so forgive me if my sentences don't make any sense at times!

There isn't going to be a list that tells you everything you need because it will vary from person to person as well as where you are post surgery.

When you get your blood work results periodically, that will be the list you'll need to go by.

Sent from my phone, please forgive brevity and misspelling

https://asmbs.org/wp/uploads/2014/05/nutritional-guidelines.pdf

To simplify things I stick to a multivitamin that has ALL of these requirements without having to buy several individual supplements. Look into optisource Complete MV. Manufactured by Nestle and utilizes the above recommendation to supply ALL necessary post bariatric nutrients.

Correct, but it depends how often the OP is having bloodwork done. Each surgeon uses the above guidelines especially in the first few mos post op.

I had bloodwork done by my surgeon pre-op and shortly after surgery. My next blood draw (for all my levels) won't be done until my 1 yr post op anniversary.

Excellent point! I have blood work done every year as part of my physical, have for years. In the first year after my surgery it was more frequent of course, but I will have to continue getting it done every year.

My surgeon told me I could do a bunch of different Vitamins or I could get Optisource Vitamins (I get them on Amazon) they are chewable and I just take 4x/day. I also have prescription Vitamin D that I needed before surgery, and I added biotin to try to help with hair.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am sorry it took me forever to reply, I got so busy but thanks everyone.

I went to see my surgeon and his PA told me I need Flintstones vitamins, which I got and Calcium citrate... Which I am waiting for that to come in the mail. He wants to do blood work, again, because the last time he saw me I was a little anemic.

So I am going to do my blood work next week but I have been this:

Flintstone's multivitamin chewables 3x a day

Iron once a day

B12 once a day

Vitamin D3 once a day

I notice a difference in feeling less weak now that I am taking the Flintstone's multivitamin but I still don't feel well overall.

Everyone is kind of different because your ability to absorb different Vitamins and minerals may be different based on your own physical anatomy. For me, I take Bariatric Advantage ea chewables and chewy bites 500 for Calcium and that's it. My body is absorbing all I need from that and my levels are good and steady. Some people I know who have had the same surgery need more B12, Iron, and d3/calcium because they just aren't absorbing it. I'd start off with the basics like I did and wait til your labs to see if you need additional supplements. You may not need them and that's money left in your wallet.

I couldn't stand the texture of gummy vitamins after surgery, and hated the big capsules that most likely weren't being completely absorbed into my body. I was introduced to a product called Zeal about 3 months post op, and fell in love. It is a whole foods powdered supplement that has over 100 super foods, Vitamins, mineral antioxidants, phytonutrients, etc. It has replaced ALL of my pills except I still take extra Calcium and Iron, because I am post menopausal. I mix one scoop with a little Water or juice, drink and within minutes I feel like it is just absorbing into my body. I know it sounds crazy, but I can feel a huge difference that I never got with tablet or Gummy vitamins. I've got all day energy now, and my blood labs have come back perfect the last three times. It is a bit pricey at $60 a month, but I was spending more than that on all my vitamins and coffees I used to buy to keep me going. Worth every penny! I have to order it here because you can't buy it at the store. www.zurvita.com/jjwhitman. I've mentioned this in a couple of other posts, too, not because I sell it, but because it has made such a difference in my health that I want people to know there are other options for gastric bypass patients out there. Good luck to you!

So I got my lab work from my PCP back today and here is an update

Hemoglobin: 10.4 Low

Hematocrit: 32.1 Low

MCV: 76 Low

MCH: 24.5 Low

RDW: 16.6 High

Fasting glucose: 106 High

Folic Acid: 20.0

Vitamin B: 2,000 High

I think I should be worried. I don't want to be worried.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using the BariatricPal App