Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not really a question but I did want to share my experience. After surgery I was definitely swollen on the side of my stomach where my port had been from my previous lap band. After about a week or so I started walking outside quite a bit and decided to just get in the pool to cool off. No swimming, just get in, cool off, and get out. When I got out I noticed that I had black stuff oozing from my largest incision site. Over the course of about 5 days I oozed quite a bit of black blood and filled several paper towels and gauze Patches. I talked to my doctor's office and they wanted me to let it ooze as much as it wanted. It was not puss and it didn't smell so they didn't seem overly concerned with it. Now all of my swelling is down and the incision has stopped oozing. It was a little freaky at first to be sitting with a wad of paper towels against your stomach and realize they are filled with black blood. I wanted to share my story in case it happens to anyone else. Everything seems fine now and I feel better.

So sorry you had to endure such "yuckiness". I am glad, though, that you've come out on the other side of things unscathed.

Did your doctors think that you probably should have come home with a drain? Just wondering what their thoughts were, since they said for you to let your incision stay open and drain.

Thank you for posting your experience. I'm sure it will be beneficial for members who may have a similar situation happen.

Good job!

I hope you will continue the rest of your WLS journey with few bumps in the road and more clear skies. :)

They never mentioned anything about a drain. They just had me take some pics to send them and told me to keep letting it drain on its own. I have a follow up appointment on Friday so I'm sure they'll cover it more then. I think since it didn't really show any signs of infection they were happy to let it do its own thing. Lol.

Yeah mine is currently oozing out as well. I just keep changing the gauze pad daily. They say it'll stop on it's own and close up. So I guess I'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You had a hematoma. That black blood is just dead blood cells that did not get absorbed back into your body. lol, I had to wear a maxi-pad taped to my stomach I was bleeding so much.

So I was bloated and swollen, moody from hormones, and I was wearing a maxi-pad while walking around the house in stretchy comfy pants.. I was totally a woman for a couple days.

I was glad when mine finally closed up. At one point I was just standing over the toilet kind of massaging the area trying to get all of the nastiness out. So far I'm two days ooze free!