Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which Question or Suggestion Are You Sick of Hearing?

If your weight loss surgery is an extremely well-kept secret, you may not get too many people asking you questions about the why and the how. But if you’ve told even a few people about your surgery, you’re probably not so lucky. People ask all kinds of questions, ranging from the reasonable (“What kind of diet do you have to follow?”) to the accusatory (“Why didn’t you just lose weight the natural way?”), and from the innocent (“Do you ever feel any side effects from surgery?”) to the suggestive (“You shouldn’t be eating that, should you?”).

Some questions or suggestions come up over and over again – often to the point where you want to wear a sign on your forehead with the answer. For me, one of the most annoying is, “Do you feel guilty that you still have the lap-band in even though you don’t need it anymore?” I don’t think the question itself is too bad, as such questions go, but it gets old. Yes, I have the lap-band. Yes, I intend to keep it in. Yes, I like having it. Sometimes it’s filled, sometimes it’s not.

So what question are you sick of hearing?

The next person that tells me to start eating sweet potatoes I am going to punch in the face.

I don't have people comment on my surgery, but they comment on my low carbing all the time and are always trying to force "good" carbs on me.

How did you do it? Honestly it is getting old trying to discern who I am comfortable telling and who I am not.

If I do share that I had surgery it is always followed by people sharing the horror stories or them wondering if I get sick a lot. For someone like me who has yet to have dumping, always feels pretty good it can get old.

It's almost like a canned response that has become mechanical.

If it is someone who really is interested because they themselves have been considering surgery I don't mind talking all day about it. That is rarely the case though.

I hear, "After 5yrs and your "stomach" hasn't "stretched"? Impossible. I've heard this and I've heard that from so and so, and I KNOW that your "stomach" has stretched"

I have to wonder why did that person ask the question if they already "knew" the answer. ;)

But, I always answer with as much patience as I can muster, thinking that if they asked there is an interest , and I'm all for explaining WLS.

There aren't too many of us "sleevers" around here who are 5ys post op. Way back when WLS was mostly by-passes and bands. Even with visits with my bariatric team here in the Catskills, I am some what of a novelty. She and I are "mapping as we go", not having anyone's journey before me to resource.

My journey has been unique and I own it. I plan to make it a joyful one from here on out. :)

I

"How much weight have you lost?" and "How did you do it?" (I'm not "out" to too many people - mostly just my family and close friends)

When the question "How much weight did you lose?" started to bug me, I noticed it quickly decreased once I was significantly slimmer. The only person that kept asking at 2 months out was someone interested in WLS. In lieu of "How much weight did you lose? " I'm getting more "You look great!"

What I find hilarious was when I put 2 Oreos in a carton of fat free milk and a fellow nurse (who formerly worked on a Bariatric floor and is overweight herself) gasped and with wide eyes said, "Are you not suppose to eat that?" Ha! I just smile and keep shedding the pounds away. bmi.png

Most people at work don't know I have LapBand.

Those are the ones who ask:

"How much have you lost?"

"I don't generally discuss the numbers. I keep it private."

"But it must be a lot! How much?"

"Yes, it was a lot."

"No, really, how many pounds? 30?"

"A bit more than that." (I had lost 120 the last time I was asked this last week in the ladies' room.) "Gotta run! Bye!"

JustWatchMe

I am literally so sick of people who know about my surgery asking me if I can eat _________. What do I look like? Google??!

My surgery is pretty much a secret but BOY do I get questions about my small portions and low carb choices. If they have already posed these questions before, I just smile at them like they are an idiot for asking and continue the conversation as if the question was never asked.

If they have never asked the question, I simply answer with a standard, I try to eat 6 small high Protein meals a day. SMILE. End of discussion.

The "How much weight did you lose?" question bothers me a little.

Not because I feel it is intrusive, but because I am embarrassed of how obese I allowed myself to become.

People who have asked I honestly tell them; they have always been very happy for me and supportive. Sometimes a little shocked because they didn't realize I weighed that much.

I'm fairly open about my surgery and will tell anyone who asks.

What I hate most is every time I tell someone, they come back with a horror story. "My niece got the lap band and didn't lose any weight." "I know someone who had gastric bypass and they gained all their weight back." "My coworker popped his lap band after overeating too much."

My response is always "I'm sorry to hear that. It's working great for me." That's usually the end of it. What I do know is oftentimes the folks who fail typically are the ones who don't listen to their surgeons, do not receive follow up care, or think it's some kind of miracle cure where they don't have to make any effort or change their habits. Knowing this helps me shrug off everyone else's stories!

Definitely the "how much weight have you lost?"

Annoying!!

just tell someone they look good and move on. I would never ask that question .

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

"Stop shoving unnatural stuff down your throat (protein supplements), why are you eating (a scoop of ice cream in my sugar free Protein shake). Are you pleased with yourself now that you have purposely had holes poked in you?? You are going to become anorexic. Good luck fixing that problem. Stop experimenting with your body, you will not be able to conceive..."

Thanks mom.. So much positivity..

English is my 6th language so forgive me if my sentences don't make any sense at times!

Edited by Lema

OMG, Please don't let it be true, you don't have cancer, do you?