Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Airport security issues ?

I'm 4 years post op gastric sleeve. I've traveled via airplane this week for the first time since I had surgery.

When I left Thursday I had to be patted down due to an anomaly showing up on the scanner.

The same thing happened to me today going through security a little while ago.

I'm not wearing the same clothes as I was on Thursday so that's out. The tsa agent patting me down asked if I had ever had any abdominal surgeries. I told them I had.

Anyone else experience this? It kind of surprised me. I got to see the area in question both days and it's the exact same area on my body both times. Before anyone asked about surgeries, I was starting to feel this could be due to my sleeve.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It could be....The staples are made of titanium and won't set off metal detectors but will show up on x-ray....I have a titanium plate in my neck they always see it in the x-ray but it's very clear what it is and has never caused a problem...........I haven''t flown since VSG surgery but imagine the tiny staple line looks a little weird and may cause concern to the untrained eye.

The scanner would not pick up anything on the inside like staples. They are not Iron or steel, so they won't set off a metal detector. Surgery scars shouldn't be a problem, but lose skin might be a problem.

The dang things kept pick up sweat on my back so I got one of the "TSA PRE" cards so I don't have to get scanned anymore.

PERSONAL RANT: Only the government can make something less safe, more annoying and more expensive. TSA is the poster child. The only thing that is really effective at stopping bombs and guns is a metal detector (nothing of consequence goes boom without metal). The scanners are expensive and they just don't work. Every test of the TSA at picking up banned items shows they fail 90% of the time. But they want another increase in the fee even though the lines keep getting longer. Just remember during this election year when someone says "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" scream and run. ;-)

That's why I was asking @@silverthreads , I don't remember ever reading any issues like this on the board before.

Perhaps I should mention that I do have TSA Precheck since I fly on average 2-4 times/month. It's totally worth it. So I've only gone through the metal detectors recently -- not any of the big scanners.

This is a big body scanner, not a metal detector.

I don't really fly that often so I haven't done the tsa pre check thing.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I refuse to go through the scanners for a lot of reasons.

I say "I have a medical issue" and ask to go through the metal detector instead.

My ankle hardware was a concern to them. It may be the staples.

I have flown several times since my sleeve and have had no problem going through security x-ray machines.- Except for my umbilical hernia which must look like a bomb because every time I get patted down on my bellybutton

I travel via airline a LOT.

My pat-downs haven't increased.

Thats interesting.... i wonder why that is so....

Well on the positive side , you can always go to the airport for an ultrasound hahaha i guess that would be cheaper lol ????

I'm very curious about it that's for sure.

@@OKCPirate

Is right, loose skin and flab is what set the machines off. A TSA agent also told me when she was patting me down the an apron and using powder will set them off also.

I have flown several times since my sleeve and have had no problem going through security x-ray machines.- Except for my umbilical hernia which must look like a bomb because every time I get patted down on my bellybutton

Ouch, doesn't that hurt?