Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 month waiting period for insurance is crazy

Waiting for half a year for surgery is crazy. If I could diet for a half a year by myself I wouldn't being trying to get approved for surgery. I'm having a terrible time sticking to 1500 calories or less with 90 grams of Protein. How did anyone else do during the wait? Were you able to stick to the plan you were given?

Waiting for half a year for surgery is crazy. If I could diet for a half a year by myself I wouldn't being trying to get approved for surgery. I'm having a terrible time sticking to 1500 calories or less with 90 grams of Protein. How did anyone else do during the wait? Were you able to stick to the plan you were given?

I lost everything the doctor wanted me to lose in the 6 month period.

You should use this time to learn how you should be eating and working out as much as possible. These will make your transition much easier.

I had to have monthly weigh ins. Those helped keep me on track.

I have a hard time getting support, and learning new ways to control my emotional eating. They tell you to meet with a physical therapist, nutrionist and counselor. So far, no one is teaching me any skills. Just telling me to eat slower and drink more Water.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

It was hard for me as well during the 6 months. Mine was over June 16th. Now I'm just waiting on insurance. During my 6 months my Dr have me a goal of between 1800-2000 calories. No soda, minimal carbs, and if I ate them Portion Control. Increase Water intake. Weighed and measured most everything. Increased my exercise to 30 mins a day 5 days a week. Which is hard cause most everything hurts my legs. Not to mention I was in a boot and on bed rest for 6 wks during my 6 months. I lost 17 lbs but gained 6 back. As for emotional/boredom eating. I've found gum to be a life saver. Especially at work when I don't have time to eat. But I'll try healthier versions of what I'm craving, or I try going and doing something like a walk or swimming. And if at the end of all that I'm sure I still wanted what it was I drank 8+ oz of Water and ate a small amount of whatever it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

My problem is my metabolism is so messed up from yoyo dieting I don't even lose weight anymore. So I have no motivation from the scale. In 3 months I have lost a pound and gained a pound and a half. I can eat 1500 calories or 2000 calories and there is no difference on the scale. I have to use my fitness pal and print my food diaries. It is difficult sometimes to keep my eye on the prize when nothing is happening

Sent from my SM-T330NU using the BariatricPal App

In retrospect, the 6 month waiting period was actually quite helpful. It gave me time to consider my decision multiple times as well as fully research and start living the sleeve lifestyle. It was frustrating to me at the time, but I am actually glad especially after reading some of the remorse posts on the forum. It seem to me that a lot of the remorse posts are from folks that self pay and may have jumped into this too quickly.

I just had my 4th of 6 visits. My Surgeon told me not to gain, stay the same or loose. Personally I cut out most sweets, sodas and processed foods. Am I perfect? Nope but I don't beat myself up too badly. I found a couple Protein shakes that I can use. I started taking Vitamin supplements to get into practice on taking them and be healthier. I move more . I challenge myself once a week or so on drinking only the shakes Water teas and broth. I've lost 18 lbs this year. That's my story and attempts to make it through the 6 months. I hope it helps. Good luck! Hang in there!

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

@@bac2u

I'm the exact same way! I'm getting RNY tomorrow. My surgeon said that honestly that's my only hope because it's like hitting a reset button and afterwards my dieting will actually have an affect. But I agree that the 6 month wait is torture. I used my time wisely and probably needed it. But the waiting was still torture.

I have a hard time getting support, and learning new ways to control my emotional eating. They tell you to meet with a physical therapist, nutrionist and counselor. So far, no one is teaching me any skills. Just telling me to eat slower and drink more Water.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I had a great Program - met with a nutritionist monthly and Psychologist bi-weekly (who helped me tremendously with the emotional eating issues).

My plan suggested high protein, low carb (50% protein/50% produce). This was not the time to lose (thankfully since even sticking mostly to the plan I only lost 3 lbs in 3 months). I didn't have a calorie restriction. It was to learn how to eat post-op. Use small plates, eat slowly and not mindlessly (in front of TV, in car, etc), stop sodas and high calorie drinks (juice, Gatorade, sweet tea, etc). The most useful that I got out of my time was working with a psychologist on emotional/mindless eating, cravings, etc. All plans/programs are different but ask for any additional help you need so you will be ready. It is a long time but it does go by quick - just use it to your advantage!

My problem is my metabolism is so messed up from yoyo dieting I don't even lose weight anymore. So I have no motivation from the scale. In 3 months I have lost a pound and gained a pound and a half. I can eat 1500 calories or 2000 calories and there is no difference on the scale. I have to use my fitness pal and print my food diaries. It is difficult sometimes to keep my eye on the prize when nothing is happening

Sent from my SM-T330NU using the BariatricPal App

Both my Nutritionist and Psychologist helped me stay motivated when the scale didn't budge. My NUT didn't expect weight loss really - she was teaching me how to eat, get fluids and exercise for post-op living. She said the surgery will get the scale moving. I have PCOS and it's not easy to lose (I fluctuate 5 lbs a week). Learn all you can about post-op living. There's some great books I would recommend. This isn't a diet - it's a lifestyle change so use this time to prepare as much as possible.

https://www.amazon.com/Emotional-First-Aid-Kit-Practical-ebook/dp/B0054RXXS0?ie=UTF8&btkr=1&redirect=true&ref_=dp-kindle-redirect

Use these six months to retrain your mind and your body. Eat with purpose, eat with intelligence.

food is no longer a reward. food is fuel. Ease yourself off soda, caffeine, sweets, processed foods. Incorporate more Protein, colorful veggies and complex carbs. Drink Water, Water, water.

Is it easy? Hell no! But doing the above will make your post op life so much easier. This is only six months, post op is the rest of your life.

Are you worth it? I'd say so.

post-175552-0-78421500-1466949094_thumb.jpeg

During my 6-month medically supervised diet, the nutritionist I worked with largely de-emphasized weight loss and focused on changing behaviors that would make me more successful post-surgery. Some of our goals included: making healthier choices when eating out, reducing alcohol intake over 6 months until it was completely eliminated, establishing exercise routines, and avoiding drinking Water during meals. I also used it as an opportunity to tap the nutritionist for ideas on making vegetables more interesting -- getting recipes from her and learning the wonders of roasting.

It also gave me a long lead in to really feel confident about the life altering choice I was about to make.

So, for me, I found the time investment to definitely be valuable.

My team is also having me build healthy habits vs. losing weight. However, my program is 9 months instead of 6. I also look at this time as a chance to practice the behaviors that will help me succeed with my sleeve. The weight loss is more of a bonus.