Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've talked to several surgeons where I've received mixed responses in terms of the usage of NSAID's after Gastric Sleeve. My own surgeon wants me to avoid them totally after I get the procedure done, but other surgeons I've had appointments with DO allow their sleeve patients to take NSAID's at limited amounts. After doing a bit of my own research I've came upon an article online, where it says Gastric Sleeve patients can tolerate NSAID's much easier than Bypass patients. ( http://barimd.com/universityofmiami/15/295 , end of first paragraph )

It's making me quite confused on what is allowed and what isn't allowed. I was a Lap Band patient before as well but had it taken out, and apparently there is an NSAID warning with bands too, but no physician had ever warned me about it and I was completely fine. I'm quite young (25 yo) and when I have my period, my cramps are absolutely unbearable, the only thing that helps is when I take something like Advil etc. I also have a history of arthritis in my family (in which arthritis pain is usually treated by NSAIDS), it just makes me think if I will be able to find other alternatives that work just as much. I would like to know from you guys what your surgeons have communicated to you about the usage of NSAID's, and OR if you guys have taken them after the procedure? Thank you so much!

I think you need to have an honest discussion with your provider regarding risks and benefits, and perhaps with your GYN as well.

I have never had trouble with ulcers or anything like that yet I was surprised when my surgeon told me specifically that *I* could take Ib and products with it. However the policy of that same weight loss practice forbids them for all their patients.

there is no way any of us here could tell you if they will be safe for you or not because that risk/benefit ratio is going to depend upon your specific risk level and your specific benefit level. I do take cinnamon daily for arthritis type pain and it is quite effective.

I've heard mixed thing as well; I asked a surgeon about this and he said the problem with NSAIDS is that irritate the stomach. With VSG this is even more of a problem because the stomach is so small, there is less surface within the stomach to absorb the medication. And because of that, there's a possibility it can give you a certain kind of stomach ulcer, called a marginal ulcer that can cause bleeding and perforation of your stomach which may require reoperation.

However, there are medications you can be prescribed that coat the stomach and protect it if you absolutely have to take an NSAID. If you don't absolutely need it, I'd highly suggest trying to use something else like Tylenol. BUT IF YOU DO please discuss it with your doctor so that you can talk about your options and concerns.

It's going to depend on your specific situation and your medical team. I have auto-immune arthritis and have to be able to take NSAIDs and steroids for my treatment. My rheumatologist actually recommended the sleeve. My surgeon also said that a bypass is not an option because of these meds, and the auto-immune rules out the band. These meds aren't just hard on your stomach while being digested, they also change some chemicals in your body and make you slightly more prone to ulcers, even if you take them through an injection or intravenously. For me, it's a cost/benefit analysis and my medical team and I have agreed I'll take them when needed. Some surgeons may not think it's worth the risk, and will recommend never taking them.

You really need to follow what your medical team advises however my surgeon advised that after 6 weeks (once fully healed) I could take ANY meds I was able to take before the surgery. I also had a hiatal hernia that had to be fixed so i'm cautious about NSAIDS since they irritate my GERD but I can take anything in pill form at this point (4 months post op)

I asked my surgeon about this because it was on the pre-op quiz I had to take before surgery. I left that one blank and he said "actually you can have NSAIDS with the sleeve" and I would assume in the way he said it that it is not ok for some of the other procedures. Of course this is MY surgeon and yours may be different. I will still be avoiding them if possible but you can bet your bottom dollar that if I get a bad Migraine I will be taking some NSAIDS!

I specifically chose VSG surgery instead of bypass because of the ability to take NSAIDS after surgery, I have a previous back injury that requires me to take motrin from time to time. My surgeon here at Richmond, Ca Kaiser helped me to make that choice, and I believe it is the right one for me, so I can manage my back pain. With the bypass, you are forever supposed to avoid them, with VSG, it is more tolerable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Edited by CNOEL3