Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been reading many forum responses by VSG patients and medical journals written by surgeons regarding patients who have gotten stomach ulcers and stomach leaks after VSG.

My surgery is less than a month away, and this is really giving me a discouraging thought. It seems that most of the articles, and or responses that people write on forums make it seem like experiencing an ulcer or a leak after getting sleeve surgery is something to almost EXPECT. And this made me put into consideration that this surgery has no extreme long term data (20-30+ years). How can we really know for sure what the possibility of developing an ulcer or leak after having VSG really is? I don't mean to scare people or create negativity, but for considering the reality, and the permanence of this surgery, I really wanted to ask people's opinions on this. If anyone can give me any answers my question is, is it possible to undergo VSG and live a lifetime with 0 complications of accumulating an ulcer or a leak? I'd really appreciate to hear any responses regarding this, or to hear your experiences. Thank you!

I think these are really good questions you need to discuss with your surgeon.....but I'll add my 2 cents worth. As far as a leak the risk for developing a leak is only during the first few weeks while the staple line heals....once it's healed that risk is gone (as far as I know)......

The risk of ulcers I really have no idea. If I were you I would want to ask my surgeon about his experience with his patients with these complications.....

Through the research I did prior to my surgery I found that the risk of being obese was much worse than any risk the surgery had.....

good luck to you!

I was worried about the lack of long term studies on VSG too, but then I came across info about how gastrectomies have actually been done for a long time - just not for obesity. Similar stomach surgeries have been used for years with cancer patients, people with severe ulcers, and other digestive conditions. There are favorable long term studies on those populations, but those studies aren't connected to ones specifically about VSG for weight loss.

This isn't a precise summary, but there was one that followed patients in England for many years who had large portions of their stomach removed, and I believe the worst long term outcome was some nutritional deficiency (and this was decades before Vitamin supplements became a widespread practice). If I can find the link I will share it. I believe it was in the forum on here about studies and research.

Sent from my LGLS740 using the BariatricPal App

Edited by eliminnowp

As far as I understand, leaks and ulcers are rare.

What I also understand is that you can minimize your risks by:

Using a skilled surgeon.

Not smoking.

Not drinking.

Taking medications as prescribed.

Not using steroids, ESPECIALLY while your stomach is healing.

Following your surgeon's pre- and post-op instructions, including your food plan.

Seeking medical help if you detect anything unexpected or out of the ordinary, experience pain, or just have questions.

And, learning to manage stress in healthy ways.