Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I ever enjoy food I like again

I know I'm really early post op a week but all these thoughts keep running in my mind. Especially since it's summer and my family is currently throwing bbq's and I can't have like any of the stuff they're making . Like will there ever be a day where I can enjoy at least something I like . Like for example a burger . ( sidebar: not here for the negative comments so if you have them be warned in advance for my reaction ! )

I love a good burger -- but without the bun. There may be some things that you just don't ever enjoy again. For me those things are any bread made with yeast and anything carbonated. But those are the only things! And I love my life as a slim, healthy person a lot more than I miss bread, that's for sure. Chances are very good that you'll enjoy the vast majority of your old favorites, but they won't matter so much to you. Does that make sense?

I did low carb high Protein for a year before my surgery. I'm less than a week out btw lol. I order the burger like they make it then remove the bun. It tastes better that way instead of ordering it without the bun. Life is hard post op, but, it is so worth it.

jennyw

at 4 months out I am able to pretty much eat anything - I have a small burger without the bun often.

tonight we are having nachos - I am going to have the seasoned meat, lettuce and some cheese and sour cream on top.

so yes! life looks a lot more normal 4 months out. small portions, but real food that I enjoy.

I love a good burger -- but without the bun. There may be some things that you just don't ever enjoy again. For me those things are any bread made with yeast and anything carbonated. But those are the only things! And I love my life as a slim, healthy person a lot more than I miss bread, that's for sure. Chances are very good that you'll enjoy the vast majority of your old favorites, but they won't matter so much to you. Does that make sense?

Yes that does thank you . I know a lot of people eat it without the bun and before surgery I felt like the bun would just get in the way of the burger lol It's weird because before surgery I would also get full very easily with most food . I did think it was weird that my surgeons office sells food too and they said I could have chili I wouldn't think I would . I might just feel like this because at the moment I can't have what I want .

I actually enjoy food more now that my capacity is only around 8 ounces. During the week, I stick to my preopt diet and on weekends out, I order anything that catches my fancy.

I had some sliders with Buns early on, but now I save the space and skip the bun.

The difference is that I use to overeat and feel guilty. Now I eat with a purpose (even if it's a couple of fried oysters) and never look back since I know I didn't eat too much.

Edited by Cape Crooner

Once you get the hang of your new stomach, you might just find you no longer WANT all the stuff you like.

For example, I was not a big sweet eater before but I loved ice cream. Now it makes me physically ill, so while I might want a bite or two, I don't want more than that. Same with rice, Pasta, and squishy bread.< br />
But to answer your question. Eventually, you will be able to eat anything you want. Be careful, though! Your "want" for food might defeat your want for healthy weight. :)

I know I'm really early post op a week but all these thoughts keep running in my mind. Especially since it's summer and my family is currently throwing bbq's and I can't have like any of the stuff they're making . Like will there ever be a day where I can enjoy at least something I like . Like for example a burger . ( sidebar: not here for the negative comments so if you have them be warned in advance for my reaction ! )

Yes there will come a day when you will be able to eat something that you like now--like a burger.

Just keep in mind that you may not be able to tolerate: the bread, sweet ketsup, Pasta, rice, anything overly sweet, spicy or overly rich.

Choices and trade offs-- WLS journeys are all about those two things. You will know that you are truly ready for WLS when you can go into the OR knowing fully that you may not be able to tolerate some foods--EVER. I am over 5yrs out and still can't tolerate the foods I mentioned above.

However, the benefits that you will acquire from having WLS FAR outweigh the sorrow of not being able to eat ketsup. You just have to learn to make your own--not as sweet.

Some folks never experience the intolerances that I have mentioned. You may be one of those. I believe, however that you have to be ready to sacrifice some things in order to benefit that long term success.

Good luck, Friend. :)

Fitst...if you post in a public forum be prepared for all kinds of comments including negative ones

I am 10 months post ip and basically eat whatever I want just small portions. I have burgers, pizza, ice cream, chips...just small portions. I have still been very successful with my weight loss.

Fitst...if you post in a public forum be prepared for all kinds of comments including negative ones

I am 10 months post ip and basically eat whatever I want just small portions. I have burgers, pizza, ice cream, chips...just small portions. I have still been very successful with my weight loss.

First I'm talking about rude and nasty ones . We all have a journey and I'm the type of person that puts myself in someone's shoes before I sit there and make negative comments . The thread is not for that in my opinion . For example if someone on here is 300-400 pounds and they said they never realized how big they were before surgery it would be rude for me to comment and say "well how the hell do you not know " now that's rude and I have seen people on here be rude like that .

I've been on the forum about a year and I've heard that people who have had a bypass do find that their tastebuds change and some foods cause dumping.

I had a VSG and neither is the case for me. I like all the same stuff and I have zero tolerance issues.

What kind of surgery did you have (or are you planning to have?)

I'm 2 weeks out and I feel the same way you do. It's hard explaining how you feel to ppl that has not gone through the process. Your not alone. I really want a Ginger Ale and a pizza lol but I'm so scared of the "dumping" I just keep reminding myself that I did this for a better me.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I have to say that I am definitely a vegetarian after being sleeved. I can't eat any kind of meat, it makes me nauseous and throw up. I can't even stomach the smell of it. I was a little sad because meat was a huge part of my life. However, I'd much rather be thin than eat meat and I do find a lot of great vegetarian options.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

3 years ago I had the same concerns. But after surgery and lots of weight loss, reduced appetite, increased energy and many other changes, your focus will change. I didn't expect it or anticipate my changes but it happened and I love it.

I'm more focused on fitting in my next long bike ride or run, than the next BBQ.

Edited by Andrew0929