Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting VSG in August at the age of 54

Wondering if anyone else had surgery at my age? If so, any advise or words of warning?

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

I had mine at age 50. All the cool people are in their 50s and older!

I'm 62 and 15 days post op. Absolutely no issues. Was cleared to introduce soft foods 4 days ago. I take it very slow, tiny bitrs but have introduced some real food such as eggs, chicken and even a few bites of meatloaf last night. I have not vomited at all.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

Have posted on this forum many many times, but I still get the notices and I still feel compelled to tell everyone that I had my surgery at 58 and now almost 5 years out. I was at goal (lost over 80lbs) until this last spring when I had a TT. They removed almost 3 lbs but for some reason, I gained it back plus 5. So I am about 5-10 lbs over what I would like to be. (I'm 5'3" and now at 145. But, my life has never been more incredible, bordering on a fairy tale. I wrote a book about my first year (kept a blog every Sunday) it's called Queen of Crop for anyone who wants some inspiration. But I should seriously write a book about the years after. It's been surreal.

Sounds like it's mostly positive for all.

I was sleeved just weeks before I turned 58. No problems at all, and frankly even at just 2 months post-op I feel better than I have in many years. So glad I did it.

Now, if I didn't have 58 years worth of minor injuries it would be easier to kick up the exercise but I'm doing it fine just the same. I did injure my knee pretty badly about 2 months prior to surgery and I'm really noticing that this hasn't healed as quickly as it once would have. Gotta play the cards you're dealt though!

Yeah, I recently injured a knee and it is not healing. No issue with the joint, but the meniscus is torn. I'm normally a reasonably active person, but now I can't do most of the things I like to do in terms of physical activity. Which is only strengthening my resolve about surgery.

Thank you very much for the reassurance!

I also have a torn meniscus, which has halted my favorite activities: African Dance, jazzercise and hiking. I started physical therapy and my therapist taught me all sorts of fun stuff I can do in the pool. I jog laps with various kinds of "weights" made from styrofoam and plastic, walk forwards, backwards and sidewise, kick with a kickboard, lunge walk, and do squats and heel lifts. I suspended my jazzercise membership and as soon as my PT period ends, will join the hospital gym and pool, and go after work. I am also in the process of completing my pre-requisites for bariatric surgery...I am just completing a horrid round of anti-biotics to get rid of an ulcer caused by painkillers for the knee, and will be issued my CPAP next week. I hope to have the surgery in October or November. My plan is to see if weight loss relieves the joint pain. If not, then I will look at knee surgery in the spring. Oh yeah, I'm 56.

I am 54 and I am tentatively scheduled for surgery July 21, 2016. I think we will do fine. Thanks for all the input from such a nice sleevers, it is very encouraging.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Have you had your surgery yet? How did it go?

I am getting better daily. Finely tolerating the Vitamins most of the time. Still not doing too well with Water. Getting the Protein in. Down about 27 pounds. weight-loss has slowed way down.

@ Tab143 I had my surgery 5 years ago at age 58, I am 63 now, at goal for 4 years. Zero problems. It changed my life. I wrote a book about my first year (there is a chapter a week for an entire year) and I was also traveling at the time. It might give you an idea of what to expect. (the name of the book is Queen of Crop ) But the most important thing is that it is never too late to get healthy! Good luck!

@ Queen of Crop ... I'm 58 and had my VSG August 4 HW 240 SW 229 Now at 215... Only dropping 2 lbs a week??? Soooo discouraged . Journaling everything , get my Protein plus in everyday and liquids. Stay at my 800 calories a day and exercising... What am I doing wrong ??? Taking my Vitamins faithfully.. HELP ! Any advice appreciated. Eating my Proteins first just as we were told...I need advice....

Discouraged bamagal76

@@bamagal76

You've lost 25 lbs! Two lbs a week is actually very good. If you keep doing that, in ten months you will have lost 80 lbs. That's very exciting. It's really important to Celebrate your successes. Sometimes not seeing success as success causes us to give up.

To put it into perspective, 25 lbs is 10.4% of your body weight at your highest weight. That's a lot to drop in a month or two!

Edited by Hollyhock

@Bamagal76....Hollyhock nailed it....when was the last time you lost 2lbs a week steadily and 25lbs over all? You are doing all the right things! Some weeks it might only be 1 lb and you will be shocked because you ate so little, then another week you might lose 4....but, you are losing all the time. If you read my book, I was on the same weight loss pattern and often said WTF???? But looking back, it was a magical year and watching my body and mind and life change was very exciting and yours will be too.

@ HOLLYHOCK.... Thanks .....! I'm guilty of comparing myself to friends that have had the VSG and are 2 years out and looking all kinds of marvelous .... I know I shouldn't ???? Just wanting to do something to jump start the weight-loss again ...Ty❤️

@@bamagal76 @@Queen of Crop

Back in the day, when I was in my mid-twenties, I moved to Japan. I had a scholarship to study in Tokyo. I arrived with $40, couldn't recognize anything in a grocery store, and had a strong tendency towards anorexia anyway, so I conserved money by limiting myself to a bowl of noodles in the evening and walked five to ten miles every day (thus minimizing train fares). The weight rapidly fell off...about 4 lbs per month (or one a week). So bamagal76 is losing double what I lost in my twenties never eating, and walking several hours a day. (Also going for runs or stair running in the evenings.) Now nobody should restrict the way I was doing and I wouldn't encourage that. (At one point, I went on a walking tour of Korea carrying a heavy back pack in July. I got dysentary and couldn't ingest anything other than digestive biscuits and green tea, and you are still losing at twice the rate I was!)

Your weight didn't take a month to put on, and it will take you awhile to lose it, but I would be surprised if you aren't already noticing clothing fitting way too loosely. My point is, I was at my highest metabolism and starving myself while over exercising, and you are losing weight, in a healthy manner, at double the rate. It is important to feel proud of yourself and also to maintain your health! Minimizing your progress can lead to unhealthy restricting and permanent problems.

I am 54 years old and had my surgery July 21, 2016. I am averaging 2 to 2 1/2 pounds a week but I know overtime this will add up. I'm not as young as I used to be. This is one reason I had to have surgery as I had lost the ability to lose weight.

I am 54 years old and had my surgery July 21, 2016. I am averaging 2 to 2 1/2 pounds a week but I know overtime this will add up. I'm not as young as I used to be. This is one reason I had to have surgery as I had lost the ability to lose weight.

Im right there with ya Carlaw! Im 57 and in the process. Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App