Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 years and NO success

I got my lap band in July of 2004 and despite having 5 fills over the next couple of years, I never lost ANY weight with it. I was a self-pay which is why I had the surgery done in Monterrey Mexico with Dr. Rumbaut so there was no support system in the US for his patients at that time. I tried to survive with whatever I could find online to help me out, but nothing worked.

Now that I finally have some stable insurance, I've been going to a local weight loss center here in Washington state and I'm considering getting a revision to a sleeve. I've had an endoscopy done and everything looks great- from the inside, my band is fine. The surgeon with my local program suggested I give the band a try again but I'm looking for feedback from any of you who've struggled with your band.

Did any of you have the same problem where it never seemed to work? Have any of you been unable to lose any weight?

Does this mean I just never got the right fill amount or is there possibly something wrong with the band?

I suspect that even though my BMI is around 58, my insurance won't approve having the band removed since there appears to be nothing wrong with it and my hope of having a revision surgery will be lost since I can't afford to pay out of pocket again.

Any advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

If everything is fine with your band then I'd recommend finding a bariatric center that does fills and can monitor your progress. The lap band really only works when you have the support and monitoring of a surgeon and nutritionist. I've have 5 cc's in my band and the restriction is good for me. I eat 1600-1800 calories a day and I've been losing weight steadily.

If you can eat quickly and easily then your band is definitely not tight enough. The difference between a tight band and a loose band is pretty dramatic. Eat Protein first, then veggies, and finally carbs if there's still room (that's my strategy because I can't imagine a life without the option of Pasta or potatoes... but it's more psychological than anything else because by the time I finish my Protein I barely have enough room to eat my vegetables too).

After you've reached your optimal restriction, that's a good time to decide if the band is working or not. If it's not working because it just isn't right for you then you should be able to have a revision. At least that's how my insurance works. If weight loss is unsuccessful with the band, or if it erodes or I have another complication not due to over-eating or not following my surgeon's rules then I can have a revision if necessary.

I hope you find a good doctor and get some fills going soon! You may be surprised to see how well it works once your restriction is in the green zone :)

I had the band done in 08 and recently 10 months ago I had it emergency removed due to prolapse. I did have success in the very beginning, losing about 70lbs. I do have to admit it was not easy!! I was working out twice a day and watching every little calorie. I had 5 to 6 fills and became very sick do to restriction and had it emptied. After that it all went down hill as far as weight gain :( Today I weigh only 10lbs less then the day I had the band put in. I'm two weeks from my Gastric bypass surgery!!! I'm praying all goes well!

Good Luck on your journey ;-)

Sent from my SGH-T999L using the BariatricPal App

Hi..I have had my band since 2004. I have not had a fill in over 10 years and am still tight. I can't eat fast, I can't eat certain foods, I slime still and have to eat very slow and drink something hot usually. I have lost about 30 lbs and maintained this weight for over 10 years with maybe a 5 pound drop occasionally. I would talk to a doctor.

I hear you!! I am in the same boat! I had my surgery in 07, starting weight 292, currently 276 (274) and I am SOOOOOOO frustrated with the minimal loss!!! I don't want to have another surgery, I just want the surgery I had to WORK! I understand that I need to work with the band, but clearly I am able to "eat" around the band and that sucks!

My current insurance is not the same as the one that covered the surgery, so I have to do some research and are some calls to see if I can get a fill or consultation to talk about a possible revision surgery for a new band or even the sleeve.

same here I was 280 at surgery in 2013 I got down to 215 and then gained 40. Now I am at me lowest at 207 in 4 years later.. Its really annoying and I don't understand how I have not lost more. I eat every little and most of the time it gets stuck and I have to throw up...I know that's probly not any help other then to say you are not alone...This is a struggle..