Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain, looking for meaningful discussion/mutual support not lectures!

@@1Day1Life4Now

Just wanted to be sure as you are giving advice that you understand that it is just as easy to cheat with the bypass. Most people do not get dumping syndrome and even if they do you can eat around the surgery and gain your weight back.

The only solution is to follow the food plan as close as you can, exercise and do not eat small meals all day long.

1 (800) calorie beer is almost as much as I eat in a day. My calorie intake is between 1000 and 1200. I am 22 months post op RNY today. Currently I do not drink anything but Water and maybe milk once per week.

I will enjoy a glass of wine for the first time in August after I am finally finished with narcotics, I am weaning off fentanyl following 3 major surgeries in 9 months. I personally would never consider a drink with that many calories. I worked too hard to get to where I am.

I'm rooting for you too @Oak Park Lorena ! Last summer I gained 25-30 pounds by eating my old favorites, and it was hard and frustrating to get back on plan and back to losing. Like Alex says - it was slower coming off for me this time too.

Sounds like you enjoy good beer the way I enjoy good chocolate! If I cut it out it's almost a stronger compulsion to want it, and then I've made it something off-plan and am susceptible to the "all or nothing" mentality. Never good for me, since going for "all" is how I gained. I now enjoy some chocolate every day, guilt free. Some types/forms I know I can't keep in the house, but I found ones I can and enjoyment of them helps this be a forever plan instead of one more diet.

Anyway, for me getting back to losing was about small manageable steps, and ones that didn't feel arduous. You'll know what they are for you--and sounds like you already do.

Mainly, just know lots of us on this forum understand something about where you are and how hard you're working to do what you're wanting to do. Good going for taking this on--I'm one more here cheering for you!

Kate

I'm rooting for you too @Oak Park Lorena ! Last summer I gained 25-30 pounds by eating my old favorites, and it was hard and frustrating to get back on plan and back to losing. Like Alex says - it was slower coming off for me this time too.

Sounds like you enjoy good beer the way I enjoy good chocolate! If I cut it out it's almost a stronger compulsion to want it, and then I've made it something off-plan and am susceptible to the "all or nothing" mentality. Never good for me, since going for "all" is how I gained. I now enjoy some chocolate every day, guilt free. Some types/forms I know I can't keep in the house, but I found ones I can and enjoyment of them helps this be a forever plan instead of one more diet.

Anyway, for me getting back to losing was about small manageable steps, and ones that didn't feel arduous. You'll know what they are for you--and sounds like you already do.

Mainly, just know lots of us on this forum understand something about where you are and how hard you're working to do what you're wanting to do. Good going for taking this on--I'm one more here cheering for you!

Kate

Thank you, Kate! I know exactly what you mean about the depravation making you want something more. I'm boxing up some of the big calorie beers I have and storing them in my friend's basement! Craft beer is a hobby for me, I go to beer releases, attend beer events, and I homebrew. It's not about the alcohol, in fact I often wish the alchol could be removed, it's about the taste. For people who know nothing about craft beer, this is perhaps a revelation. Over the years, I've amassed a very large collection of stouts. It's very tempting to pop one open and enjoy it in the evening, so I've decided that for the time being, it's safer to have them far enough away from me that's it's not an option! So, I've got some nice, lower calorie IPAs and sours in the fridge. I'm allowed to have one after I run. Seems like a reasonable compromise to me! When I've gotten the weight under control, I think it will be safe to enjoy a higher calorie beer trreat once in a while, just not every day. Thanks for the nice message and the support! It's good to hear that someone else has wrangled their treat demon! :)

it's about the taste. For people who know nothing about craft beer, this is perhaps a revelation. Over the years, I've amassed a very large collection of stouts. It's very tempting to pop one open and enjoy it in the evening, so I've decided that for the time being, it's safer to have them far enough away from me that's it's not an option! So, I've got some nice, lower calorie IPAs and sours in the fridge. I'm allowed to have one after I run. Seems like a reasonable compromise to me! When I've gotten the weight under control, I think it will be safe to enjoy a higher calorie beer trreat once in a while, just not every day.

It most definitely is about the taste! I love good beer too, and since nearly all wine upsets my stomach, I enjoyed self-permission while traveling in England to have a glass of local beer at dinner--each time asking "What do the locals drink (especially on payday!)?" It tasted some marvelous brews I have to say. Often the bartender got so excited telling me about what people liked he'd draw tastes of several of his own faves too--it was marvelous. Since I was a tourist walking all day long, the calories didn't weigh too heavily either. I think your plan for enjoying an IPA or sour after a run is a great idea! Enjoy!!

Have you considered bike riding you can get the intensity without the strain on your foot? It's a thought. I don't drink or like beer so not in your shoes but just a suggestion... It might be what works for you and you can still have your beer? I hope it works out let us know how it goes... Wishing you all the luck! You can do this! as a matter of fact you know you can... cause you already have :)

Thanks! Now that I"ve had the surgery on my foot, things are really fine. Unfortunately, I live in the flatlands of the midwest so hill walking is not an option! I'm working in the arc trainer and spinning to try to get an intensity level equal to running, thought that's hard! I am totally on board with the "protien first" approach and have consistently stuck with that since my surgery.

I love that you mentioned watermelon. I did not like it before my sleeve... Now it is a favorite of mine I crave it go figure LOL I eat it make smoothies with it... and Its one of the few fruits I tolerate really well....I can still only eat 4 ounces of food...

It's funny, I still cannot really eat much salad, the bulk still does not work with my stomach. I do eat veggies, regularly, mostly cooked broccoli, asparagus and cauliflower, but rarely a salad. My recent discovery in terms of something bulky/low cal and satisfying is watermelon. Despite the sugar, it is considered a low-glycemic food because of the high Fiber content. It's 50 calories a cup, has loads of anti-oxidants, is very filling and is yummy!

Yes I try to do veggies if I can, I am going to plan on doing some shakes for awhile maybe a couple a day to just help me get back on track. I also have found this dressing called Walden Farms that is zero everything so you could essentially "drink" the whole bottle and get no calories, fat, etc so that is what I try to use with my veggies and salads

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

@CariDickensen thanks for the nice message! I do love bike riding, but I live in a kind of urban/suburban area, hard to find a good place to ride without all the cars and stop signs. I'm back to the running and yoga and tonight I go back and join my pilates group, I'm sure it will be painful! It is hard to get back to exercising when you've been away from it, but I know I can get back in shape, just frustrating that what takes 6 months to a year of regular hard work kind of goes south in a few weeks!

And wow, I just looked at your ticker, 153 pounds lost in 6 months--that is phenomenal!

Prior to my sleeve I enjoyed full bodied stouts aged in bourbon barrels. These days I mostly stick to IPA's and I log the beer into MyFitnessPal. I limit beer consumption to a weekly Friday event and have one or two pints. It has been working for me. I stopped home brewing, don't keep any beer at home, try to limit my attendance at beer focused events, and hit the gym almost daily.

Cheers!

@@SleeveSoon yes, I think that' a wise strategy! In addition to some lovely IPAs, I also have a nice stash of lambics that are delicious and pretty low alcohol/low calorie. It was a long, tough winter for me being laid up with the foot surgery and a house full of BA Russian Imperials! I talked to my surgeon extensively about beer and it being part of a healthy post-surgical diet, it definitely can be, just have to be a bit more careful and definitely keep off it when I don't have exercise to counter-balance! Thanks for the post and cheers!

I'm about 2.5 years post op, and I've had my struggles with gaining weight back too. I've never been big on exercising, it's never worked for me, and I have a thyroid problem that makes me feel too weak to exercise most of the time, even when the doctor says it's on the right levels now.

I got down to around 165, but I'm back up to 185 right now. I was even more, but have been back on my old strict diet for the past two weeks, taking a little of the edge off. I tried to start the diet on the week of my period, but that just made me miserable. I call it "the diet" but really it's what I'm supposed to eat all the time, focused on Protein and veggies, and not snacking on carbs.

It's so hard sometimes. I just want to be happy and healthy! That's not too much to ask, is it? Why does my mood have to be so dependent on what I eat? Some days I just can't feel happy until I've eaten something sweet, and even sugar-free treats can cause weight-gain!

*sigh* I know I can get back down to 165, but it's not going to be easy. And STAYING THERE will be the hardest part. I just want to be happy and healthy too....

I appreciate you sharing this info. I sooo miss my margaritas! Lol. I can't drink them no longer because I was diagnosed Bipolar 2 years ago...so my meds doesn't allow alcohol. I am also unable to exercise...one because I hate it and two I have too many physical limitations. I do love to walk but my bad knee and spurs in my feet take care of that. My story on my profile tells my weight issues. I know you will get this all figured out. ;)

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

@@Jouselle, I'd give you a hug if you were nearby. I can so relate to your story! I got down to 166-167 and had just started to accept, this may be it. The scale was not moving no matter what I did and I, too, have hypothyroidism.

Well guess what, this past month the scale started to move again....THE WRONG WAY! I I went up 5 lbs in one month. Scared the crap out if me! So like you, I've started to buckle down again ( working out, Protein first, blah blah blah).

The stresses of life can make it so easy to put ourselves last but I will not give up.

I AM IN A SIMILAR BOAT!!!

my reasons are different- I changed career paths, entered grad school, started working nights (can we all say EXTRA calories??), really slowed down my exercise, and then lost my dad.

I have no true EXCUSES, just reasons that I can recognize for my lack of control. I am also looking just for insight and suggestions on how to get re-focused.

i am going to a new doc and nut (had to leave my former clinic due to insurance change with new career) and actually stepping foot into the Y tomorrow to get a session with a trainer and develop an exercise routine.

anyway, I am up 20 lbs from my lowest and feel terrible physically. all of a sudden my clothes don't fit, i feel sluggish, i am addicted to soda, and eating all the time.

it will be a VERY hard road for me. but i will find it within my spirit to conquer this. again.

@@mi75

Acceptance is the key regarding your weight gain. Don't be so hard on yourself. The same has happened to me and I have been soda free for about a month now. I found a wonderful Protein drink...syntrax nectar..that I love! I had been off of peotein drinks for a long time...sleeved in 2012...because they all tasted like crap to me. I eat good carbs and nothing white...no sugar. I am taking one minute at a time. I do not log my food...for me if I did that food would be all I thought about. I make sure I get my daily Protein requirements in and good carbs too. I don't worry so much about the fat and I do not count calories. I also set a timer as to not drink anything 30 minutes after I eat. I am disabled, to look at me you would not know, so I get very little exercise. I love to walk but can't for very long. I have never liked exercising anyway. I am about 25 lbs from where I want to be. Lost 125 lbs and gained 20+ back due to some meds that I no longer take and doing things I was not supposed to do.

Hope this helps.

I don't know anything about a Sleeve procedure, since I had gastric bypass over 12 years ago. But what helps me when I start to gain weight is doing a 5-day pouch diet. It works, if you follow the instructions. It's a liquid diet for 2 days, then slowly reintroduce solid Proteins - again, read the quick program and follow the instructions. It gives you back that "tight" feeling again. I do it about twice a year.

www.5daypouchtest.com

I also now follow Weight Watchers. I've become lactose intolerant, and I am also thinking I'm gluten sensitive - so I'm getting tested for that - it will restrict another group of foods.