Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain, looking for meaningful discussion/mutual support not lectures!

@@Oak Park Lorena

A lot of people never do anything because they are afraid of the gym, going to the gym isn't for everyone. So offering alternatives is a good thing.

@@Oak Park Lorena - Taking a few days and just doing the pre-op diet has been helpful for some on this forum to get themselves reset. Like many things, when you know you are only going to do it for a few days we can gut it out. I would treat it like I would doing a spiritual time of fasting. I try to be mindful of why I am doing it, and hope that doing a period of denial of things that bring me pleasure to concentrate on a issue that is a concern in my life helps bring me clarity. I find it too easy to sooth a problem with comfort, some problems just need to be confronted.

Good luck, be mindful that you made a major investment in yourself a few years ago. Honor that decision. It was a good one.

Maybe buy a pretty, small glass for the beer -- or buy those cute beer sampler holders and make the beer a beautiful treat 1-2x a week?

Sometimes, yes, we have to cut out the bad stuff forever, but if you think you can handle much smaller quantities, but really make it an event of relaxation and luxuriating, that might make it not so horrible to tweak your habits?

I'm pre-sleeve, but I'm huge on presentation for food. I really do believe you eat with your eyes, first. I have those Libby Tasting teeny plates, cups, bowls, and mini martini glasses with the corresponding teeny forks and spoons. I got rid of all the "big" plates and cups for the most part, just kept enough for hubby to use for his normal portions. When I open my cupboard, I see a beautiful variety of teeny plates and cups that I am learning to incorporate.

Could you tweak your ritual/presentation so you can enjoy the beer but not drink it so often, and do smaller quantities?

Or maybe focus on making your food more appealing. Have you become bored with the same old, same old? This is a problem for me. I rely on the same few things over and over again because they are quick and easy, but then I go crazy after a few weeks with no variety.

I saw on Amazon an awesome cookbook all about Protein bariatric shakes/combos that turned them almost into frappes or real treats -- all still on program. Maybe jazz up the Protein shakes and do a 5-day reset to kick your butt?

@@VSGAnn2014 Your initial comments were fine. The Oak Park OP said she's "depressed," and since that depression, is drinking more beer, ingesting more calories in beer than in food. Liking beer doesn't make one an alcoholic; regularly/frequently turning to it in depression, etc., warrants contemplation.

To consider AA...legitimate query, if one is truly open to exploring all reasons and all possible remedies for the weight gain. [Ann, hope you're hubby is progressing well.]

@@Dr-Patient , thanks. :)

Hubby has a PT scan this Friday, and we'll learn next week how effective the last series of chemo treatments, which he finished almost 3 weeks ago, has been.

Fingers and all other digits crossed here. :)

I am 10# over goal, and 25# over my lowest weight. I am annoyed with it, but I am lucky to have people in my life who remind me how awesome and beautiful I am even with a little muffin top. I think this battle is won or lost in our own minds and heart and the first is accepting and caring for ourselves. I spent much of my life beating myself up, and i am not doing that!

I used to work out alot, but developed serious physical problems too, I don't have a good answer, but what I know is the "winners" are the ones who don't give up. You are in that catagory... just the fact that you acknowledge it and ask for help tells me that you will not regain all your lost weight. You can do this... but it will be slow. My advice is to not think in terms of "I need to lose XX by a specific date". Instead, focus on slowly improving your health... finding exercise that works for you, making alot of small better choices.

Hang in there - we can do this!!!!

You got this! You've been doing it a long time, so you know what you need to do and what works best. Do you like motivations like a certain accomplishment or getting back into a certain outfit?

I'm freshly sleeved (Feb. 2016) and have developed Tiabialis Posterior tendonitis. I can't walk or do anything that puts pressure on my foot or risk flat feet (at last until it heals). I've turned to swimming. Not sure if your injuries still bother you, but if they do, you might check that out?

Sorry I don't have more. But I know you can do this because you realized where you were headed and are making changes. Hang in there!

Lorena, it sounds to me like you already answered your own question because you know what to do. Regaining weight is one of the ugly realities of WLS and we are all subject to the behavior that causes the gain. Step back, re-focus and do the things that help you follow your diet plan. Reach out to your surgeon's office as they could possibly offer your some assistance. You might even consider transitioning to the bypass, as it could keep you on track. It is so easy to cheat with the sleeve. Good luck and hope you can conquer the mental portion of the battle so the physical part becomes easier and more successful.

What kind of beer has 800 calories per bottle? And how big is that bottle?

Many of the beers I have are 800 calories in a single bottle.

Ha! Lots of them, you'd be surprised. The main culprits are big stouts, some aged in bourbon barrels, that have a lot of residual sugar and hence a lot of calories. And we're talking about 12 oz bottles. They're delicious though!

What kind of beer has 800 calories per bottle? And how big is that bottle?

Many of the beers I have are 800 calories in a single bottle.

Ha! Lots of them, you'd be surprised. The main culprits are big stouts, some aged in bourbon barrels, that have a lot of residual sugar and hence a lot of calories. And we're talking about 12 oz bottles. They're delicious though!

Yeah, but putting that in a 2oz cup and savoring the taste and not finishing the bottle can make a big difference in the "bottom line." I'm not judging. I have found that I can have a taste of something and not feel compelled to have a "normal" portion is enough. I have done this with craft beers and cake at events. I strangely don't feel deprived.

Note: If you are pissed because you don't feel the soothing effect, there might be another problem lurking. Just saying, not accusing anyone.

Sorry, Dr-Patient, but I respectfully and completely disagree with your assertion that the comments made to me in response to my post were "fine." This is a forum for people who have all gone through a similar procedure, for discussions of pre-, during and post-surgical issues, this is NOT a site to request or receive a medical or psychological diagnoses. I don't know if you are any of the others posters on this forum are licensed physicians, but whether you are or are not, it is completely inappropriate to "diagnose" people based on forum posts. Moreoever, I specifically stated that I was looking for support and commiseration. I've noticed that many of the veterans on this site are fond of dispensing pseudo-medical advice. The purpose of a forum like this, in my humble opinion, is to share experiences, provide support, and yes, give advice, but not of the arm-chair medical variety--that is not of much help to anyone and most likely is inaccurate or possible even dangerous. We all have loads of doctors and nutritionists we can call on to render such advice, let's be here as humans for one another who have all gone through and continue to go through a tough and challenging procedure! I'm sure this post will alienate many of you, but after reading through so many posts that are of the ilk I received, I feel it's something that needed to be said.

@@VSGAnn2014 Your initial comments were fine. The Oak Park OP said she's "depressed," and since that depression, is drinking more beer, ingesting more calories in beer than in food. Liking beer doesn't make one an alcoholic; regularly/frequently turning to it in depression, etc., warrants contemplation.

To consider AA...legitimate query, if one is truly open to exploring all reasons and all possible remedies for the weight gain. [Ann, hope you're hubby is progressing well.]

The ignore function is great.

Use it.

I certainly do.

@@Oak Park Lorena,

It’s good you’re addressing this now rather than waiting until you had gained more weight! It is much easier (although admittedly not “easy”) to lose 40 lbs than 100 or more.

You have a lot going for you. You know where you went wrong, which is a big step. You know that you stopped working out, and that you ate too much, or, rather, drank too much. And you’re starting to work out again.

I suggest…patience! Remember that the weight will not come off as fast as it did post-op. That can be frustrating and discouraging, but it’s okay. If you do the right things, it will come off, even if it takes a year or more. Along the way, you’ll develop healthy habits so the weight won’t come back on.

If you love beer that much and you are really drinking so much of it – more calories than food – you probably don’t have to cut beer out in order to lose weight. You can probably just cut back. There must be some bottles of beer with fewer than 800 calories – or if they aren’t the kinds you want, maybe you can pour out half before downing the rest.

That’s great if you’re already eating right. It’s one thing you don’t have to worry about changing. Keep up with the exercise and always be careful – as you learned, it’s never worth it to get injured!

Just balance your love of beer with your desire to get back to goal weight, however long it takes, and make a plan that will you get you there. Once you get back into the habit of doing the right things for yourself, it’ll get easier. Good luck!