Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalled out and going crazy -- need reassurance please

I posted something similar in a thread in the gastric bypass post-op board, but I thought it might fit better here.

I'm just two months out from my surgery, and up until a couple weeks ago I was averaging a loss of about 3lbs/week. I got sick (some nasty virus or head cold or something) a couple weeks ago and haven't been well enough to go to the gym, and I gained 3lbs back in the last two weeks.

I feel like I'm hungrier than I was before and afraid I'm eating more than I should, and I'm paranoid that my pouch is stretching out. I'm terrified that my body has decided this is the size I'm destined to be and that I'm never going to weigh less than 200lbs, let alone reach my goal weight. I don't know what to do or how to solve it.

Please, someone tell me this is normal and I'm just overthinking everything. (Side note: I finally feel well enough to start back at the gym tomorrow so I'm hoping that'll kickstart my body back into losing again.)

The three most important elements after surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

At around 2 months post-op RNY gastric bypass, you have a choice. Your Protein requirement is a combination of the protein from your meals combined with the protein from supplements (Protein shakes, protein bars). In the beginning your meal volume is minuscule. But around 2 months, it begins to start to add up. If you concentrate on consuming high protein meals, you can begin to offload your reliance on Protein Shakes. This is important because your shakes contain calories. Over the first year and a half post-op I went from 3 protein shakes a day, down to 2, down to 1, and then finally none. This is what broke my stalls.

I stalled for about 3 weeks between 2-3 months out. I'm only at 10 weeks right now, but just broke that 3 week stall! Finally! I made sure to get my Protein in first and foremost, which I think really made the difference. I even went back to drinking at least 1-2 Protein shakes a day to be sure I got it in! Just embrace the stall. They are upsetting and depressing even, but you will get through it. I felt the same way as you did. I know it isn't the last stall I'll experience either. You just have to take it with the rest.

First I will say, if you are following the plan you will continue to lose the weight.

Second, stalls suck. Get used to them because there are many more the closer you get to your goal weight.

Third, if you follow the plan you will get to your goal. Believe me......I never in a million years thought I would ever see a normal weight again and yet I am here. It took 18 months for me to hit my goal. I was slower because I had 3 major surgeries shortly after my bypass which left me unable to exercise for the last 12 month. Prior to that I was doing and hour of cardio every day. I still do pt exercises daily but nothing that is going to cause me to expend lots of calories. I stuck to the diet and still lost everything I wanted to and even a little more.

Take a deep breath and get off the scale if you can't handle the stall because I promise you will stall. Your body absolutely has to have time to rest in between.

That last 20lbs I lost....I would lose a pound or two in a month and stall out for a few weeks then wham I would lose a couple more and stall again.

That is simply the way it goes. Don't be in such a rush to lose it all fast because your body adjusts better the slower you lose. This is just my opinion......

Stalls are a normal, natural, and necessary part of the process of losing weight. None of us lose at a constant or steady rate, and periodic stalls are part of the process.

Plus, when you were sick, chances are pretty good that you were dehydrated.

Just follow your program. Focus on getting in all of your Protein and fluids. Take your Vitamins and supplements as directed. And, exercise when able.

If in doubt about what you need to be doing, why not make an appointment with your NUT?

Embrace the Stall!

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

@@CMYKchick I am so glad to read your post here.... b/c I am in the EXACT SAME situation as you.... im two months out of surgery on Sept 20th.... and literally the past three weeks have been nothing.... I was self pay so im worried that I just wasted my life savings lol ...

not to mention I feel like im eating more ;/ ... does that mean my pouch has stretched??? im scared to death that Ive ruined this...

@@CMYKchick I am so glad to read your post here.... b/c I am in the EXACT SAME situation as you.... im two months out of surgery on Sept 20th.... and literally the past three weeks have been nothing.... I was self pay so im worried that I just wasted my life savings lol ...

not to mention I feel like im eating more ;/ ... does that mean my pouch has stretched??? im scared to death that Ive ruined this...

Are you eating the recommended portion sizes? Are you meeting your Protein and Water goals? As said above - stalls are very common and if you are sticking with your post-op plan then don't worry.