Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having trouble with Calcium Citrate. What do you use?

I'm having trouble with Calcium....the major problem is it constipates me so bad . I have trouble taking it in pill form...even the ones that say petite get stuck or hurt going down. Another problem is the amount of pills you have to take to get the recommended amount!! I don't want to take 10 pills a day just in Calcium, that could get Very expensive!! Right now I'm taking the opurity chewable...that's 5 a day. Thanks in advance for any advice/input.

After surgery, I found that I could not longer swallow medium to large tablets including Citrical. I used a pill crusher to convert them to powder and then I mixed them in with a glass of Crystal light. I had to fill the glass several times in order to down the powder that turns into paste. After about 2 months post-op, I found that I had regained my ability to swallow again and I was even able to swallow the large Citrical (horse pills). That was a good day.

There are other alternatives to Citrical but in general I find them to be more expensive. Whatever you take it must be calcium citrate.

I'm almost 4 months post op gastric bypass...I'm hoping eventually I will be able to swallow the pills , but I'm not holding my breath because I had trouble with large pills before [emoji20]. Thank you [emoji2]

Until my pill-swallowing got better (which it did) I sued Celebrate chocolate calcium citrate Chews - they're wonderful! CV037_Calcium_Citrate_Chocolate_500mg.jp

There's other ones, but check dosage - these are 500 mg each, 90 to a bag.

Edited by katesuccess

I use viactiv chews. Take with each meal.

I use Upcal D (a powder you can mix into food), Calcet chews, and Bariatric Advantage chews. I also occasionally drop a couple of calcium citrate tablets into a fruity Protein shake (they don't dissolve as well in the milky shakes)

Do you hate the chewables? There is a brand BariMelt that is quite good tasting (like sweet tarts sort of - not as good of course). It is sold on Amazon or even on the Bariatric Pal Store (though they are out sometimes).

I don't mind the chewables ...I just find they are pretty pricey [emoji53]

@@Teresa in Texas - I have always been instructed to use calcium citrate not Calcium Carbonate due to the way it absorbs post-op.

I've been wanting to ask about Calcium too. I've been doing the Bariatric Advantage chewables (caramel is my favorite). They are 500mg each. I was instructed to take 3 or 4 a day, separately. Can anyone explain why they all need to be taken separately?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm guessing it's because we can only absorb a certain amount at a time

I use the Batiatric Advantage calcium chews.

Yup. Same here. The 500's. Chewy Bites.

I like the caramel version while I wait on my coffee maker to brew that first pot of the day. The orange version is great for my other two doses during the day.

Dang things are like candy.....only better.