Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What am I going to do without my band?

I had my band placed on September 02,2010 and lost 80 lbs with its help and running. Three years ago I couldn't swallow my own saliva and had a complete unfill(9cc) in the ER. I didn't go back to see my bariatric surgeon until May 13, 2016. I went because from January to May I gained 40 lbs. I was training for a marathon which I completed 40 lbs heavier than when I started my training. So, I decided to go for a fill. he gave me 1 cc and did nothing. I went back and he gave me 3 cc. I was fine actually was enjoying feeling a little bit of restriction. On Thursday had a very stressful day at work and I got tight. I couldn't eat or drink without throwing up. My surgeon has office visits on Tuesdays and Fridays so I went back on Tuesday and he took out 2 of the 4cc I had. Still could not keep anything down. Went back Friday and he removed the other 2. I went the the next week dealing with it and not eating or drinking because it was unfilled and probably swollen. Come to last Monday I couldn't take it anymore and went to ER dehydrated and with (I didn't know) low blood pressure. My surgeon goes and sees me in the ER and removes my band later that afternoon. He couldn't do a revision because of the swelling. I asked and begged for the sleeve, but he said he could not.

I will not be able to have another surgery. I do not have the money to spend for it. I am so worried and scared and depressed. I was reading the article on the biggest loser metabolic issues and I don't know if that pertain to us. I feel it probably does.

I will continue to run, but I feel I will need more especially because I am already 1/2 way back to my highest weight.

Has anyone had success with keeping the weight off or even better losing weight with no revision after removal?

Thank you all

First of all, I am so sorry :(

I don't have much else to add here except I doubt the Biggest Loser metabolic crash would happen to you because WLS isn't as severe as the BL diet/exercise regime. What they do to those poor people on the show is stress their bodies so much and to such extremes that the damage is irreparable.

Makes the lap band look like a gentle treatment relative to that.

I'm sorry you cannot get a revision. I would try to petition with your insurance company (if your first surgery was covered through insurance). Just try to do your best not to gain any more weight. Do you use a fitness/calorie tracker? Find out what your basal metabolic rate is and do your best to stick within the calories you need to stay as you are. That would be the strategy I'd take.

Thank you so much for that perspective on the BL. :lol: and for your response. I will try my best to watch what I eat and start and exercise program as soon as I can. It is just going to take getting used not having my trusted tool.

One thing that keeps me positive is that I had it unfilled for 3 years.