Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Does the First One Happen {I'm Scared}

So... to preface this a bit.. my experience with weight loss has always been negative (that's why I'm here.. that's why I had surgery) no matter how hard I exercised or how little I ate, my results at losing would be meager.. a few pounds over a whole summer and fall for instance.. constant disappointments have left me believing that I can't do it and that this is absolutely my last chance to ever be healthy and fit. And right now it's going swimmingly... I'm 5 days post opp.. doing okay on full liquids and have gone from 265 to 251.5 since May 18th which makes me... unspeakably happy...

But I have a deep fear...

The first stall.. I'm scared of how fast it'll come.. I want to keep enjoying the weight loss like this.. I want to lose.. I don't know more.. lol before that first stall comes. I think because even though rational me knows it's not true - when it first happens... emotional me will be scared that this is the end of my weight loss and the end of my surgery success because I've never been successful before.. I know that's not true.. but every day during that stall when the numbers don't go down I think I'll still be terrified...

Advice?

And also.. when did your first stall happen? How soon can I expect it? If I'm prepared maybe I'll handle it better.

@@Beck90, if I were to be completely honest with myself, I would think I wrote this post, HOWEVER, I pretend I'm not afraid of the 'stall' because I am aware it will come to pass at some time. I am 'Queen of Denial' with certain things, and I admit I want to keep losing. Here's the thing, I was 277 @ 5'5" day of surgery, May 5, 2016, and exactly a week later, on the 12th, I was 255. Since then I haven't weighed and I keep telling myself I don't care about weight, I won't let it define me. I BELIEVE that's how I WANT to think, but deep deep down, my real self really DOES care. I DO care. I refuse to weigh until my check-ups though. My first check-up after the one week out one, is this Thursday, June 9th. I'm telling myself I probably only went to 247. That's my guess (but deep down I am secretly hoping for more, and THAT RIGHT THERE is what gives me a little fear.) I need to make myself BELIEVE that even if I don't lose anymore than the initial pounds, it's okay. (I will die if I didn't lose. In fact, if I didn't lose, I am gonna call this surgery a bust, just like all my other attempts.) Gosh, this post is so bi-polar. Lol. I'm feeling really emotional right now. Sorry for the rant. I will post back how much I lose/gain/don't lose. I won't give up. I'm doing so well with my eating. It's just that, like Beck90 stated, I do well for a while, then something snaps and I turn to food for other reasons. I know this surgery was on my stomach, not my brain, but THAT'S the part I needed surgery on! Since that didn't happen, I am truly trying my darndest to stay on this healthy-fueling path. I haven't hit the gym yet again, but it will come if I stay on this trail of healthy eating. No bad carbs, Protein first, veggies. I mustn't stray. Positive thoughts, positive thoughts. Cel

Good things come to good people.

The best thing about food is the instant gratification. The moment a salty or sweet food touches your tongue, you get a sense of satisfaction. That's why long-term weight loss is so freaking scary -- we can't get what we want, and it sucks.

It's okay to be terrified of stalling. I mean, we've all gone under the knife and had our organs cut apart, cobbled back together like Frankenstein's monster, or removed outright. I'd be weirded out by someone who didn't care, honestly.

So come here, be a wreck, commiserate with us, beg for affirmations and reminders that it will eventually get better and the scale will move. And then when you get what you need, resume your life, stick to the plan, and return when the scale gets stuck again and you need more support.

You'll make it, OP. You've already taken the biggest, most difficult step.

I had my first stall at 2 weeks - and have had plenty since then. Don't get discouraged. Stalls are normal and if you are following your doctor and NUT's advice they will eventually break and you will have another period of weight loss. My latest stall was a couple of months - but I found out I wasn't eating enough. Sometimes we can get so calorie conscious that we overdue it. As I said, follow your doctor and NUT's advice and don't get alarmed when you do have a stall. They are normal and often the body takes that time to 'catch up'.

I just saw the posts about the lack of energy. I did not gain my energy level back until a couple of weeks after the 6 month mark. I was getting all my Protein, fluids and Vitamins in - but I think it just took my body that long to get over the shock of the surgery. Your doctor will do blood tests at certain intervals to make sure all your levels are where they should be - in the mean time just make sure you do everything you need to do and everything should work out.

I am 7 1/2 months out now - have all my energy back - am near my goal and feel great! Just take things one day at a time.

I was sleeved on 12/28/15 and have so far lost 70 something. I stalled a lot and its at random times. I know it is tempting to step on the scale everyday but if you just put the scale in the closet and focus on how you feel, and how your clothes are fitting you will be way happier. Trust me on this one. I would see my weight stay the same for days. Once I weighed the same for over a month but the way my clothes fit was changing. Besides we are not a number on a scale. I know we all had the surgery for different reasons and that is personal, but the one thing we all have in common about having the surgery is to be healthy. So enjoy the journey to a healthy life and appreciate all of the hard work that you put into it.

Edited by ChefSaraKay