Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Need Motivation Help !

GO VEGAN FOR YOUR HEALTH AND THE ANIMALS

Need to loose 10% of weight before surgery where do I start. What works for you ? I have 12 weeks before surgery Help!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Speak to your NUT on your team. S/he should be able to give you a plan that will work for you. It depends on your starting weight, and other health issues you may have. Schedule a meeting with him/her ASAP.

Low carb, high Protein. Tons of water! No Pasta, bread or rice. Cut out soda or high calorie drinks. You can try and replace a meal or two with a Protein shake. Good luck!

My Nut and Surgeon agree... High Protein, then veggies and fruit... minimal amount, if any, dairy and no processed carbs.

Lots of Water... 64oz minimum. 5 small meals a day and about 20 g of protein in each. Exercise, exercise, exercise... even if it's walking more or swimming or cycling. Just move! I'm 2 months in and 18 pounds down. I have 6 more weeks and need to lose more but i'm working on it.

The thing that always provides best success for me is tracking. In the end it is a math formula.

Is there something you have done in the past that has worked?...

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

Have you been actively trying to lose weight up until now? If not, start a plan of high Protein (meats, cheeses, eggs) with some veggies. Cutting out the carbs in the form of bread, rice, potatoes, etc. will usually cause someone to lose a good 5-10 pounds the first two weeks alone. It's Water weight, but it's a good motivation.

If you need more structure, look into the South Beach Diet. Even though it was kind of one of those fad diets, I've found the eating plan to be very close to what's recommended post-op. Good luck!

I lost 15% of my starting weight during my 6 month medically supervised period (6th appointment was last week, now just awaiting insurance approval and hopefully surgery on June 17th). I wasn't trying to lose a specific amount, just not gain and wanted to start making some changes. This is what worked for me.

1. Log everything and I mean EVERY BITE into a tracker like myfitnesspal. Even just eat like you normally do for a couple of days so you can see where you are.

2. Next, stop drinking calories - no soda, no sweetened tea, no starbucks

3. Cut out potatoes and Pasta (wasn't much of a rice eater anyway but cut that out too). Cut out almost all bread - occasionally I'd have a sandwich for lunch on a whole wheat deli thin - but not every day. I did occasionally have oatmeal for Breakfast but made sure it was a higher Protein, lower sugar option like quaker weight control or think thin brand.

4. Meals basically consisted of lean meat and lost of non starchy veggies - think broccoli, brussel sprouts, spinach, swiss chard. Afternoon snack was typically a little greek yogurt and some berries.

5. Move more. I was pretty much sedentary when I started so I started by parking slightly further away at work (I now park a lot further away). And started with doing just 5 minutes on a pedal exerciser a couple of times a night. Now 6 months later I routinely get in over 5,000 steps a day but it was most definitely a gradual build. Do a little more each day - it really does add up over time!

6. Gradually reduce calories every couple of weeks.

All of this was done with help of my NUT. She'd look over my food log every month and discuss what was good, what needed tweaking etc.

I won't lie - while simple to figure out what to cut when you log, it is hard to do. But think of it as starting your healthy new life now. You can do it!

As others have said....cut out all sugars and starches.

Measure your calorie intake using my fitness pal or the like.

Keep your body flushed out with Water.....constantly drinking.

Get moving.....walk, walk, walk. Begin a supervised weight training plan, too.

10% in 12 weeks is very achievable. You'll get that much and way more if you start right away and kick things into gear.

Need to loose 10% of weight before surgery where do I start. What works for you ? I have 12 weeks before surgery Help!

Talk to your NUT about a good food plan for you.

Start tracking your food if you are not already doing so. Pre-op I was already using the Weight Watchers app and counting points so my NUT suggested I keep doing that. Post-op I switched to MyFitnessPal so I could better track my Protein and because it is free.

Focus on high Protein, low carb. Avoid starches, added sugars (especially high fructose corn syrups), and fried foods.

Eat clean. Focus on fresh unprocessed foods whenever possible. Eat fresh vegetables and fruits.

Eat a lot of vegetables! (Example, Pre-op, my NUT suggested adding extra vegetables like broccoli, and other cruciferous vegetables to my Lean Cuisines to add bulk and keep me satisfied longer).

Drink a lot of Water (at least 64 oz of fluid).

Wean yourself off of carbonation and caffeine.

Start sampling Protein shakes by substituting an occasional meal with a Protein shake.

Take a daily Multivitamin and any other Vitamins your doctor suggests. I took a Multivitamin, D3, and Iron pre-op.

Start practicing eating mindfully. Eat slowly, take small bites, and chew thoroughly.

Exercise as you are able.

Pre-op, I didn't really restrict my food too much. I recorded everything, though. If I indulged in something I tried to choose something that was worth it. Quality over quantity. I didn't want to waste it on crappy junk food.

Best of luck. This is a great time to experiment and practice some new food attitudes and behaviors that will help you to be successful post-op.

I think the thing that helped me the most for my surgery was weaning myself off of carbonation and caffeine gradually so that I didn't have to deal with withdrawal as I was recovering from surgery.

I started my weight loss by drinking a Protein shake instead of having Breakfast. I would add some raw fruit like an apple or clementine if I was feeling particularly hungry but it worked for that meal. Then I just tried to focus on making baby steps, I.e., one less soda a day, only one piece of bread with a meal, etc so it doesn't feel like a slap in the face type diet.