Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6weeks post how much should my calorie intake be for?

I'm 6 weeks post this Thursday sleeved 4/21 how much should my calorie intake be per day? Right now it's about 800 to 1000 is that normal? This is including my Proteins.< /p>

Call your Nutritionist--you should've been given Protein goals/ caloric ranges post-op / as part of discharge planning.

Everyone's #'s are different, since height/ weight, start/ goal weights vary so much.

I pushed to get up over 800 calories as quickly as possible in order to be able to start exercising. Once I was exercising intensely, I tried to get up over 1100.

I was worried about calories in the beginning, but now I try not to think about it as much. I still log them everyday, but I focus more on protein/carb ratio. When I tried researching how many calories a day I should be eating at 6 weeks post op, many people responded with as little as 400-500! I cant imagine getting my Protein in with that little amount of calories (but they swore they were). People were swearing that their doctors told them less than 800 during losing (months 1-18) and 1000 to maintain (months 18+). To me, it isn't mathematically correct that anyone would MAINTAIN at 1000. I stopped researching and started doing what worked best for me.

I was eating 1000 calories a day by 4 weeks post op. Now I am 4 months post op and I average 1200. I have lost 72lbs in four months, and lose about 3lbs a week right now. I am happy with my weight loss...and happy that I didn't follow the directions of those telling me to eat 500 calories in that stage, because I have confidence that my metabolism isn't running in starvation mode, and that when I enter maintenance i'll be able to maintain my weight at about 1800cals a day.

By the way - not trying to judge anyone, just letting you know that for me, less calories wasn't better. For some, it may be. I knew my body needed more to burn more.

I was worried about calories in the beginning, but now I try not to think about it as much. I still log them everyday, but I focus more on protein/carb ratio. When I tried researching how many calories a day I should be eating at 6 weeks post op, many people responded with as little as 400-500! I cant imagine getting my Protein in with that little amount of calories (but they swore they were). People were swearing that their doctors told them less than 800 during losing (months 1-18) and 1000 to maintain (months 18+). To me, it isn't mathematically correct that anyone would MAINTAIN at 1000. I stopped researching and started doing what worked best for me.

I was eating 1000 calories a day by 4 weeks post op. Now I am 4 months post op and I average 1200. I have lost 72lbs in four months, and lose about 3lbs a week right now. I am happy with my weight loss...and happy that I didn't follow the directions of those telling me to eat 500 calories in that stage, because I have confidence that my metabolism isn't running in starvation mode, and that when I enter maintenance i'll be able to maintain my weight at about 1800cals a day.

By the way - not trying to judge anyone, just letting you know that for me, less calories wasn't better. For some, it may be. I knew my body needed more to burn more.

I agree with you whole heartedly. It only makes sense actually. A human being cannot survive their whole life on 500 calories a day without thwarting their metabolism. It's logical to eat more nutritious calories. Calories equals energy. If your calories are Protein and nutrient dense, you will not gain weight by eating 1000 to 1500 AND exercising. You feel better too!

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

My nutritionist said not to worry about calories but to focus on getting the fluids and Protein goal achieved and watching carbs. She said she understands for some people it's hard to get enough calories bc they aren't handling solids as well but you should not be trying to minimize calories if you loose all your weight at 300-500 calories you will need to maintain a 500 calorie diet for life in order to just maintain your weight and at that point it will be nearly impossible. She referenced the biggest looser contestants that they just had this big article about how the wrecked their metabolism by loosing like that with such small caloric intake. Now the grown man has to have a 500 cal diet to just maintain needless to say he's gained all his weight back.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@taramarie523

You are absolutely correct!

I am living proof!

I had the band 6 years ago... got to goal by stupidly eating around 500 calories for all those years.

I ended up having complications and had my band removed a year ago... and decided to continue eating clean and healthy...

I was living on salad and steamed chicken/fish and low carbs for 12 months and during that time gained a lot back.

Turns out i reset my metabolic rate so low... that even at my low calories.. it was way to much for my body.

This is why they suggested the sleeve... now i have to have lower calories for life!!

Please anyone reading this, losing weight is great... yes... but do not do it by screwing up your metabolism... the weight will come off... just eat and exercise and you will be fine.

I'm about 5 months post op. My Nut doesn't want me over 800 calories a day. Every doctor has their own program and my Nut works closely with him. I'm following their rules.

I actually struggle getting in the minimum of 600 cal on some days.

ps. I can get 90 grams of Protein in less than 500 calories.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

How can you get 90g of Protein in less than 500 calories? Even Protein shakes have 200+ calories for one. I guess if all you ate for the whole day was 2 Protein Shakes and some chicken, that would put you at about 95g of Protein and 550 calories. (Assuming 40g protein and 200 calories in each shake, and 15g of protein in 3 ounces of chicken).

I honestly don't think that's possible, but if you do then I'll take your word for it! There are tons of different programs, but I'd be dying on 800 calories a day at 4 months post op. I feel amazing at 1200! And I honestly don't think I would have lost more weight by eating less.

It's all about whatever works :)

Edited by provenzee

How are these low calorie restriction setting people up for life long success?

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

How are these low calorie restriction setting people up for life long success?

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

It doesn't set people up for success, because it isn't realistic. I am curious to see long term success stories of people who had under 1000 calories a day while losing, and see what and how much they eat now that they are in maintenance.

@@provenzee I agree, eating that way it just repeating the cycle of yo-yo diet we most likely have done more times than we can count prior to surgery...

Einstein