Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To the pasta lover who is afraid to have surgery

So I haven't been on here in a really long time. I count that as a sign that I'm doing great! I'm going to try to log on more often to help others where I can.

I'm getting close to 2 yrs post VSG, I'm down 130 lbs, and well past my original goal. I too was a Pasta addict, carb junkie, pizza eating, overweight women. It's probably why I'm 2 yrs out instead of 5 years out. It stopped me from moving forward with this change many times. Thinking "would I have to live without pasta?" I'm Italian so the thought of never having pasta again, was kind of like imagining never breathing again - ok that sounds so funny to me now.

Pasta

Yes eventually you can eat pasta. But funny enough if you're anything like me, you won't really want to. I do eat pasta on rare occasions, in much smaller portions of course. Yes it still tastes good, but because I took total advantage of my VSG procedure and worked really hard to establish new healthy high Protein eating habits, I generally feel like crap after eating it. Not sick, I don't ever get sick, I just feel like garbage. So I don't want it like I used to. It's so empowering!!!

Pizza

I still love pizza, but I've found great low carb, high protein ways to make my own! (Think low carb tortilla pizza or portobello mushroom pizza). And yes on rare occasions my husband and I go out for our favorite pizza. Every time we laugh about how after 1 piece I'm totally satisfied, when I used to polish off an entire medium pie by myself.

So pasta lover, carb junkie, or pizza fan. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! The fantastic new healthy life that is ahead of you is soooo worth it! My only regret is waiting so long. I've never been happier or prouder of myself! You can do it too!

I love the idea of being satisfied with one slice of pizza. It seems so...reasonable!

This doesn't work for me. Pasta and pizza dough cause me terrible cravings for sugar and more pasta and pizza dough, so I abstain or substitute (Yay for Zoodles and cauliflower pizza crust!). Oh how I wish I could do the moderation thing with certain foods, but I can't.

I hope post surgery I'll eventually be able to do certain foods in moderation (bread!!). I'm learning pre-op to make smaller amounts of foods and to weigh my portions. That helps me a lot with eating reasonable amounts. There are certain foods that I need to eat -all- of it, so I try to stay away from them or only bring home single portions.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You can find recipe's for cauliflower pizza on pintrest, there are many.

I too love Pasta but in making my decision I considered is Pasta or being healthy more important... You can get a vegetti, think that's the name and it turn squash etc... Into spaghetti.. As long as you use your own sauce it's tasty

Your taste buds are going to change after surgery so you may wind of hating it.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

Edited by nyteacher125

I Totally agree with you nyteacher125! I too love zoodles!

@imadethelist... Do you know the correct name of the gadget, I think I got mine at Walgreens... I'm pre op so I'm working on dropping a few pounds prior to surgery.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

@nyteacher125... You were correct it's a Vegetti. It's one of those "As Seen on TV" items available at many big box stores and yes I think Walgreens. A great cheap tool to do the job done especially for one serving portions.

If you really love zoodles there are also more serious machines (and more expensive) at like William Sonoma, Sur La Table and I bet Crate & Barrel. That are great if your making lots of zoodles.

Good luck with your journey!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks a bunch... I'll be checking those out other ones out.

Einstein

So I haven't been on here in a really long time. I count that as a sign that I'm doing great! I'm going to try to log on more often to help others where I can.

I'm getting close to 2 yrs post VSG, I'm down 130 lbs, and well past my original goal. I too was a Pasta addict, carb junkie, pizza eating, overweight women. It's probably why I'm 2 yrs out instead of 5 years out. It stopped me from moving forward with this change many times. Thinking "would I have to live without Pasta? " I'm Italian so the thought of never having pasta again, was kind of like imagining never breathing again - ok that sounds so funny to me now.

Pasta

Yes eventually you can eat pasta. But funny enough if you're anything like me, you won't really want to. I do eat pasta on rare occasions, in much smaller portions of course. Yes it still tastes good, but because I took total advantage of my VSG procedure and worked really hard to establish new healthy high Protein eating habits, I generally feel like crap after eating it. Not sick, I don't ever get sick, I just feel like garbage. So I don't want it like I used to. It's so empowering!!!

pizza

I still love pizza, but I've found great low carb, high Protein ways to make my own! (Think low carb tortilla pizza or portobello mushroom pizza). And yes on rare occasions my husband and I go out for our favorite pizza. Every time we laugh about how after 1 piece I'm totally satisfied, when I used to polish off an entire medium pie by myself.

So pasta lover, carb junkie, or pizza fan. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! The fantastic new healthy life that is ahead of you is soooo worth it! My only regret is waiting so long. I've never been happier or prouder of myself! You can do it too!

I am African American and I love seafood pasta. But I found many ways on pintrest to cook low fat and low carbs pasta. I had to Bcus I love cooking it and eating it. My kids and boyfriend love it as well. I don't do it as much. But I'm wondering if I will even eat it or want it after surgery

Sent from my Z958 using the BariatricPal App